Still a little unclear on "Presets", and how to take advantage of this feature...

• Hi folks,

I have studied, at length, the KPA manuals (Basic, Reference, Addendum) as well as the excellent WiKPA site. Maybe it is the information overload, but I still have a few questions in regards to KPA presets. Here they are:

A) Okay, if I understand things correctly, KPA presets are stored with the exact same file extension (*.kipr) as full Profiles. If I want to import a "Preset" that I downloaded from the WiKPA site (e.g. maurizio70's "Delay & Reverb presets), how does the KPA understand that these are Presets and not Profiles. I assume I have to place the Preset in the same Shared Folder on my USB flash drive. Would I be correct in guessing that, even though Presets and Profiles share the same filename extension, the KPA is able to distinguish by some additional lower level tags that are part of the file. So, I guess my question is simply to confirm, do I store the Preset in the Shared folder? Once I mount the USB drive on the KPA, and I select "Import", would I be correct in assuming that these maurizio70's Delays & Reverbs will now be accessible as "Presets", when I enter either the Delay or Reverb Effect (by momentarily holding down the appropriate button)...and then they will appear when I use the BROWSE knob?

B) Can "Amp" parameters be stored as a User Preset? In other words, I find myself tending to tweak the amp menu of different profiles such that they have similar settings for Definition, Clarity, Pick, Power Sagging, Compressor, Tube Bias, etc.
    Now, is there away to store these settings as a Preset, that is independent of the particular amplifier? So, for example, if I pull up one of my favorite profiles, and it happens to be based upon a Marshall Super Lead...is there a way I can store just the particular amp menu paramaters as a Preset, without keeping the Marshall Super Lead as part of the Preset. My hope is that I can then apply these amp settings to a new Profile, which may be based on, say a Hiwatt amp. I'd like to be able to browse through presets, when the Hiwatt Amp has been selected and populated the display, and apply this new "amp" User Preset to just the HiWatt menu settings, without the Preset automatically overriding the Hiwatt amp profile and making it a Marshall Super Lead. I hope this makes sense.

C) If question "B" is possible...what are the exact steps to turn the current amp settings into my own User Preset? Then, once this Preset has been given a name, how do I apply it to the target amp profile (e.g., based on a Hiwatt).

Thanks in advance for anyone's feedback and help.

Cheers,
    John

• A) Exactly like you're assuming.
    B) No, not possible. Each section of the signal chain can be locked and/or stored, but not single parameters.
    C) Obsolete.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

Edited once, last by Kempermaniac ().

• A) Exactly like you're assuming.
    B) No, not possible. Each section of the signal chain can be locked, but not single parameters.
    C) Obsolete.

Hi Kempermaniac,

Thanks for the feedback and help. I was kind of guessing "B" wasn't possible...but I am glad to have confirmation.

Cheers,
    John

• B) I know what you mean, but does this option really make sense if it would exist? I mean each amp/sound needs its own amp settings. Or do you have a special idea about that which I can't see atm?

• In good profiles the amp section is set to find the sweet spot, changing that to the settings of another amp will probably not give you a good idea of how good the new amp can sound. A Fender amp for example with gain may do well with a bit of compression but adding that same compression to a Mesa Boogie would be overkill imo, It's early and the coffee is just kicking in so it's more likely I have no idea what you're talking about lol.

• B) I know what you mean, but does this option really make sense if it would exist? I mean each amp/sound needs its own amp settings. Or do you have a special idea about that which I can't see atm?

In good profiles the amp section is set to find the sweet spot, changing that to the settings of another amp will probably not give you a good idea of how good the new amp can sound. A Fender amp for example with gain may do well with a bit of compression but adding that same compression to a Mesa Boogie would be overkill imo, It's early and the coffee is just kicking in so it's more likely I have no idea what you're talking about lol.

Hi Kempermaniac and Booyah,

Yeah, I hear you...I realize it is a strange question/request, but there is a method behind my madness. :D

I noticed a noticeable difference in output volume as well as tone, when auditioning various profiles of a Marshal model 1959SLP. These are all by different authors. Now, obviously, this may simply be an artifact of how they originally made the profile, and how well it was recorded.

However, I wanted to quickly double-check that it wasn't something obvious, like a major difference in one or more of the parameters in the amp settings/parameters. I do understand that the KPA automatically assigns a value to the "Definition" parameter, depending on the Return input signal/source of the amp being profiled. There may be more parameters that the KPA automatically assigns values, within the Amp menu. Nevertheless, I was hoping to create a completely "standard" template, with everything set to zero, or whatever is "neutral" (e.g., setting the Definition to 5). I would have saved this "standard" template as an amp Preset. Then, I would copy over this template onto each of the various Marshall 1959SLP profiles I am comparing, and see what happens.

Since this is not possible, I am just going to do it by hand. I will make an Excel spreadsheet, and list every parameter in the Stack section (Amp, EQ, Cab). Then, I will fill in the individual settings for each of the profiled MS Super Leads I am comparing. This way, I will be able to see if something jumps out...i.e. a particular setting/parameter value that is significantly different than the others.

Also, just to be clear, there is no other EQ or Stomps enabled in the profiles I am comparing.

Cheers,
    John

• Oh THAT! Although it's been stated by many I've never agreed that the volumes are unison between different rigs (free, commercial or factory). When I audition rigs I do so with one hand on the volume knob ready to kill the impending spike I would love to be able to save, say Clarity to all my high gain profiles but I can't lock individual parameters and even that may not work well. For instance I use more Clarity on high gain Mesa amps than I do for others. Would be a great request for future updates though, I love flexibility. I never worried much about the volume differences though, I like what me and my Kemper have as is and almost afraid to change it if I'm the problem. I did kind of wondered whether it was something like my Clean Sense setting, my own ears bad perception of clean vs high gain sounds or some other setting but since I like my sound I'm not interested in finding out.

• @ Tritium: I have the impression that there is some wrong thinking behind your idea (no offense, just trying to make things clear). Besides volume parameters all the other parameters in the different sections of the KPA have little or nothing to do with the output volume of a rig. Also there is no neutral value for the definition parameter. What I'm trying to say is: Your thinking is right regarding tone, but not regarding rig volume. :)

• @ Tritium: I have the impression that there is some wrong thinking behind your idea (no offense, just trying to make things clear). Besides volume parameters all the other parameters in the different sections of the KPA have little or nothing to do with the output volume of a rig. Also there is no neutral value for the definition parameter. What I'm trying to say is: Your thinking is right regarding tone, but not regarding rig volume. :)

Many people use Cabinet Volume to balance the output of Rigs - I think that is the most likely amp/cab parameter to be changed by a user.

Thanks for the replies, mates.

Paul, I will definitely check the subject profiles for an author adjustment to Cab volume.

Kempermaniac, yes, it isn't just volume, there is definitely a major difference in tone between a few of these profiles. The "bad" ones sound like there is the proverbial blanket over the speaker, and the tone is very muddy and poorly defined. I am probably putting to much thought into this. The most likely answer is that some of these "bad" ones are simply an example of poor profiling by the original author.

I should have mentioned, none of these Marshall Super Lead profiles that I am checking and comparing are commercial profiles. They all came from Rig Exchange, so a wide spectrum of quality shouldn't be a complete surprise.

In any event, I do appreciate both of your replies and feedback.

Cheers,
    John

• A dull sounding rig may not be the result of poor profiling technique - the person who created the rig may have set the amp and microphone position for a bright sounding guitar.

Well that is just unacceptable!!
    The person who created the rig should have known that I play Fender YJM Strats with Dimarzio YJM Neck pickups and HS-3 Bridge pickups. ;) :P:D

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• I either like a rig immediately or whack it. There are too many out there IMO to fool around with those that aren't suited for my tastes, style, or gear ;)

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• For the record, changing the Cab volume or the rig volume leads to the same results. Remember to save the rig before switching to a different one if you want to keep you tweaks :)