Recommended / flat-response / non-colouring MONITORING units passive/active... Preferences?

• Hi all.

As the thread title suggests, what are people's preferences for monitoring units for the Kemper...

I have the POWERED RACK and will be looking to run on-stage (either 1 or 2) 2x12s (would have to be link-up cabs as the Kemper only has the 1 speaker out, unless I decide to invest in a power amp with dual outs but that won't be anytime soon...) AND a decent monitor unit...

What are recommended products that won't colour my tone? I'm aware of some of the options (Yamaha DXR 10/12 - guessing the 12inch version is better as 12inch speakers in guitar cabinets are superior to 10inch frequency-wise...?) but not sure which are best and reliable...

Opinions/facts/preferences would be welcomed!!

Also, does it need to be active or passive for use with the powered rack? (I'm guessing the signal comes from the 'monitor out' which would require an active cabinet? Are the passive ones for use in combo with a power amp? (Mind is a little fuzzy today so just want to get that crystal!)

Cheers

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Hello nEVH5150,

Just to confirm, your intend on connecting your powered KPA Power Rack a traditional guitar cabinet (or a non-powered, Passive FRFR), using the Power Rack's Speaker Output. Then, you plan on also using the KPA's Monitor Out to send to a FRFR type monitor. So, yes, you of course need to externally amplify the Line signal from the KPA's Monitor Output. As you have already noted, this can be done via a separate power amplifier, which you would then connect to a passive FRFR. Or, you can connect the Monitor Output directly to a self-powered Active FRFR.

The active Yamaha DXR and DSR series are an excellent option. I personally decided to go with a XiTone 1x12 Passive Wedge, which I am obviously connecting to my Power Rack's Speaker Out. However, XiTone also offers an active Wedge, that would be suitable for connecting with your KPA's Monitor Out.

I personally prefer the XiTone as an FRFR solution, due to it's coaxial speaker design. I think it sounds and "feels" more like a traditional guitar cabinet, versus your typical PA style monitor (like the Yammies, or QSC, Mackie, EV, JBL, etc.), which has a separately mounted driver and tweeter. There is no localization issues of the high frequencies with the XiTone, as all the sound is coming from a point source.

• Did someone has experiences with Yamaha DBR12? Is it as good for Kemper as the Yamaha DXR series?
    Greets Harald

The DBR series is the top of the line.
    So it is supposed to be even better than the DXR series.
    But the DBR cabs are also heavier than the DXR ones.

• The DBR series is the top of the line.
    So it is supposed to be even better than the DXR series.
    But the DBR cabs are also heavier than the DXR ones.

Hi Ingolf,

I believe the DSR series are the premium, "top of the line" series in that particular Yamaha family of active speakers. In other words, the following relationship between series in terms of features & price: DBR < DXR < DSR.

DBR < DXR < DSR

Cheers,
    John

• Oh sorry, I confused the DBR with the DSR.
    DBR is the entry level. IIRC one user here compared DBR and DXR and found the DXR superior.

Indeed, I agree. The Yammy DXR10 and DXR12 have gotten a LOT of praise both here, on the KPA forum, as well as other gear forums. You can't go wrong with Yamaha quality and engineering, IMHO. It is a great time to be a KPA owner, because there exists many excellent solutions, available on the market, for FRFR-type monitors. I am new to the Kemper...but I imagine choices were somewhat more limited, back in 2011.

Cheers,
    John

• I thaught a 10" speaker sounds thinner that an 12". Any others, who find the DXR10 better than the 12"?
    It has less weight and is cheaper ...
    And what about the DBR Series. Is it not recommended for Kemper?

• I thaught a 10" speaker sounds thinner that an 12". Any others, who find the DXR10 better than the 12"?
    It has less weight and is cheaper ...
    And what about the DBR Series. Is it not recommended for Kemper?

I have two DXR12s. I didn´t have the chance to compare them to the DXR10s yet. The DXR12s are very nice but a little bass heavy if you don´t activate the high pass.

In any case i would definitely prefer active over passive. The digital crossovers and DSPs make really help to keep the frequency response even throughout different levels of volume.

• You are writing the DXR12 are "a little bass heavy". I'm going to play bass with the kemper too.
    So it may be an advantage for bass players?

Definitely yes. I chose the 12s for the same reason plus i use them as a small PA for parties and other events. As i said you can engage the the high pass filter when using them for guitar. Using the output EQ Sections of the KPA should also do the job.

For guitar only use i would really consider the 10s

• Thanks all, not purchasing just yet - but all this information helps to make an informed decision as possible when not being able to try each individual unit!

I would like the flexibility of the unit for bass and guitar - so the 12's seem to outweigh the 10's for this...

Also, still no closer to deciding active monitor or passive with an external power amp! (Likely active monitor so I don't have to invest in yet, ANOTHER piece of gear... just yet... ;) )

What brand are CLRs ?

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack