Recommended / flat-response / non-colouring MONITORING units passive/active... Preferences?

• Ok so now I'm a bit more clued up on monitoring units available.... The Atomic CLR Neo seems neat but also VERY pricey and even impossible to comeby... (I'm aiming to purchase something 2nd hand and CHEAP so I don't mind stepping all over it / beer getting spilled on it...!)

Can anyone recommend decent cheaper alternatives (in the UK ideally...) looking at the Yammy DXR range still kinda costly though

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I think any decent active PA speaker will get you a long way ...

I went with the Camper 112 Plus passive FRFR cab from kpa-solutions.com - it is a passive full range cab that looks like a regular 112 guitar can, but it is FRFR. I have a pair of those, and shipping was a few days

Agree, but beware that most PA-tops tend to get a bit bass-heavy if they are used as a wedge. Tops that are designed to double as wedges have either a DSP or anlog filters with presets for PA and monitor use. Use that and/or adjust with the EQ on the KPAs monitor output.

I'd also like to add another monitor to my previous list of recommendations: Dynacord AXM 12A. At nearly €1000 these are not cheap though. A friend had been recommended these as a high-end monitors for keyboard. I borrowed his pair and tested them as general stage monitors, with the KPA, and as PA tops and they do it all. The monitors have a DSP with presets for different types of use that work well. It even has a "cab sim" mode. I prefer the KPAs cab-sim though. The monitor has 3 input channels where 2 are XLR/TRS combo and one is RCA-stereo. On stage I take the same monitor mix as the vocalist, but without my guitar, on one channel and plug the KPAs monitor out to the second channel. Then I balance these signals using the master volume on the KPA (main out is detached from master) to get a blend to my liking. Usually that translate a mix that is close to what the audience is hearing but with my guitar slightly louder. The RCA-inputs work fine for practise with tracks running off any type of portable player/phone/tablet/computer. I now have one of these for myself. It's been used in different settings with my KPA for the last couple months and I have no complaints so far. I may eventually get more of them for my PA-rig if I can justify the expense.

Edited 5 times, last by heldal ().

• Can anyone recommend decent cheaper alternatives (in the UK ideally...) looking at the Yammy DXR range still kinda costly though

Decency in PA speakers comes at a price. From my long experience with FRFR speakers I cannot recommend going cheaper than the Yamaha DXR line.
    The much cheaper EV- ZLX12P for example is disappointing in comparison to the DXR10.

• Appreciate the advice fellas... Perhaps I'll consider Yammy DXR/DSR 12 inch speakers as my lowest budget point then!

Kinda want the monitor to take up as little space as possible and be wedged shaped so I can step all over it and have it pointing at my ears...!

I may may even go through the route of picking up a 3rd party stereo power amp (I have the PowerRack) and using the main outs to the power amp on to PASSIVE units (send one out to a FRFR wedge monitor in-front of me and the other out to a FRFR cabinet behind me in backline; perhaps atomic) + my guitar cabinet from the Speaker Out...!

Though then there would be nothing to send to FOH ? Unless you can use 1 main out to a stereo power amp ? and 1 to FOH ? (Could a stereo unit such as a power amp/FOH mixer split a mono signal into stereo (or 2 mono signals at least?)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• If you are thinking of a passive FRFR wedge...keep the XiTone in mind. I love mine. However, if you were to order one from Mick, just make sure he installs an Eminence ASD:1001 HF compression driver on the Eminence BETA-12CX coaxial speaker. After I owned my XiTone for a couple of months, I had become increasingly suspicious of a high frequency harshness and buzz on the tail of notes. After much trouble-shooting, I ruled out the KPA, and started focusing on the XiTone. When I opened it up, I noticed that the HF driver was some no-name brand based out of Brazil (No offense, PRV Audio). I ordered the Eminence ASD:1001 and installed it myself. Completely solved and eliminated the HF noise/buzz. Night and Day difference.

Either the stock PRV Audio HF driver was defective, or just very poor quality. I am not sure what Mick was thinking in slapping a 3rd party HF driver on the Eminence BETA-12CX...but, at least in my case, it was definitely the culprit and the source of the problem.

Just for the record, I never pursued or followed up on this with Mick. The Eminence ASD:1001 is not expensive...and it was a simple fix / replacement. In any event, I am sure if you speak with him upon ordering, he will ensure your XiTone is equipped with the Eminence ASD:1001 HF driver, as supplied and delivered.

Cheers,
    John

• I may may even go through the route of picking up a 3rd party stereo power amp (I have the PowerRack) and using the main outs to the power amp on to PASSIVE units (send one out to a FRFR wedge monitor in-front of me and the other out to a FRFR cabinet behind me in backline; perhaps atomic) + my guitar cabinet from the Speaker Out...!

Though then there would be nothing to send to FOH ? Unless you can use 1 main out to a stereo power amp ? and 1 to FOH ? (Could a stereo unit such as a power amp/FOH mixer split a mono signal into stereo (or 2 mono signals at least?)

You can configure monitor out and direct out to send master right and left, if you don't need external gear in the loop. By using those and the main outs, you have 2 seperate stereo outs with independent volume.

• Thanks for the idea, However, I may decide to run an Eventide H9 Max in the loop if the Kemper FX don't seem to improve in my eyes...!

Can you run a TRS cable from Monitor Out to a stereo power amp and split the stereo signal from there perhaps....?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Can you run a TRS cable from Monitor Out to a stereo power amp and split the stereo signal from there perhaps....?

Hi nEVH5150,

No. The KPA's Monitor Output is mono, only. It goes without saying, you cannot recover a stereo signal from a source that doesn't have it to begin with.

I went with the Camper 112 Plus passive FRFR cab from kpa-solutions.com - it is a passive full range cab that looks like a regular 112 guitar can, but it is FRFR. I have a pair of those, and shipping was a few days

Thanks! I'll look into that one...

What's the general opinion on these: Mackie SRM-350 V2 (and how do they compare to DXR / DSRs?)

cheers

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I'm very satisfied with my DXR 12. Ingolf for example is happy with his DXR 10. I don't know the Mackies
    but there are a lot of FRFR's. They are all using DSP's but there is one i've found, that is outstanding.
    They are from Monacor and have the possibility to generate and save different room-settings. So you can
    maesure your frequencies in your practise room, your rehearsal room, the stage or whatever and you
    have every time the best result.
    I think it makes sense to use such a tool . Unfortunately not every DSP-Bos (like DXR) have such possibilites.
    And if, they are not that cheap...

• I'm just looking for something cheap & reliable yet accurate that I can step all over haha.... Smaller and lighter the better though!

EDIT: oh and has to be 'wedge'-designed ideally so it can sit on the floor in the "monitor wedge" position (as opposed to upright PA speaker positon...) so ideally rubber feet on the bottom on the long side & short sides ..

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

Edited 2 times, last by nEVH5150 ().

• Actually, I believe linearity is the most expensive characteristic to be rendered in an electronic device...

Well of course; when it gets to certain degrees it would become more and more difficult to achieve, therefore pushing the price to achieve up.

I'm of course talking 'within reason' though, -- the cheapest possible second-hand DXR or DSR for example.

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• :)
    well, actually there's no need for an absolute linearity, since humans are unable to tell differences above a certain threshold - and this is good news!
    my point is that, provided you need at least -say- a Mercedes if not a Ferrari, I'd not define Mercedes a cheap car.
    Sure, buying second-hand will have you save a good bit! :)