newbie question

• Probably a dumb question but can I connect my Kemper to my tube amp? Its a Fender Deville? I also have a Carvin V3. Would I be able to connect directly to that cabinet instead of using the head? Ive been playing through a old Crate PA and the sound isnt what Im looking for. Also Ive been searching for 2 sounds my whole life. First Jimmy Page on song remains the same live show and Randy Rhoads on Crazy Train. Any suggestions on what amps might work best for these tones?

• Hi ejrocks,

it depends on wether you have the powerhead/rack or the unpowerd version.
    As for the unpowered version you could connect the monitor out of the Profiler with the return input of the tube-amp. This way you would use the Power-Amp of the amp. Obviously you would have to deactivate the cab-simulation in the Profiler (in the Output Menu). You could even try the 4-cable-method and use the Pre-Amp Section of your tube-amp as well.
    If you have the powered Version you can directly connect your guitar cabinet to the speaker-output of the Profiler.
    Does that help you?

• Somewhat. How do I know if I have the powered or unpowered? Im not firmiliar with the 4 cable method. I usually just plug and play. lol

• If you don't know what Kemper you have then I'm betting you have an un powered kemper, with no built in poweramp.

If I remember correctly the Fender De Ville has a "Power Amp In".
    Plug your Kemper "Monitor Output" into your De Ville Power Amp In and you're using just the poweramp section and Cabinet of the De Ville.

You need to switch OFF the Cabinets in your Kemper when using the Monitor Out into a poweramp/cab.
    Press the "Output" button. scroll to page 3 and tick the "Monitor Cab OFF" box.

• Here's how you can check if you habe the unpowered or powered Version:

If you habe the Toaster, look at the color. Is it white? Then you have an unpowered Version.
    If it is black you have to look at the back of the profiler. If there is a cavity, then it is unpowered. If not and you see a red "speaker output" then it is the powered version.

But if you have the Profiler as Rack version, you can just see it by looking for the red "speaker output" on the back. If it is there -> powered.
    If not -> unpowered.

With both versions you can do it like guitartone said.
    With the powered version you also have the option to connect your guitar cab directly to the "speaker output" of your profiler.

When using the 4 cable method the signal path looks like this:

Guitar -> Profiler input -> from direct out to input of your amp -> from send or preamp-out to alternative input of your profiler -> from monitor out to return or poweramp-in of the amp.
    To make use of that you have to program an fx-loop in one of the slots of the kemper.
    But i think this method won't suit you well, because you want to use the profiler as your preamp, i suppose.

• Can someone tell me the difference between the powered and unpowered versions of the Kemper? Is one better than the other. Im assuming mine is unpowered because its the toaster style thats white with green trim....

• Powered or unpowered is not a question of better....same thing, only difference is that in the powered version you have a power amp section built in that enables you to drive a guitar cab without the use of an external power amp.

The powered version cost more than the unpowered version as well.

good luck and have fun with the kpa