Pure booster and gain relationship

• Hi there
    Quick questions:
    is adding a pure booster on a profile the same as turning up the gain knob?
    If so, what is the relationship between the two? The pure booster is in db; so for example, if I lower the gain by 2 on a profile, how many db should I add in the pure booster to get the same tone?
    Thanks
    Matt

• Great question, I've also wondered about the exact differences between the Pure Booster and Gain Knob. I always use the Pure Booster in Pedal mode for adding Gain to Clean profiles, doesn't seem as dramatic an effect as the Gain knob but with a limited number of pedals at my disposal it fills the bill. This way I can use the same midi expression pedal to operate a Wah, Whammy and Pure Booster. I found the Pure Booster colors the tone much less than any other booster or distortion stomp I tried out but that's my ears opinion, nothing measured or fact related :) Anxiously looking forward to smarter, more scientific folks to chime in on this.....

• My answer is not scientific but my understanding is that with the pure boost you drive the amp harder and thus get more gain as more signal is pumped into the amp.
    Turning up the gain knob is more like increasing the Input sensitivity of the amp's preamp stage which to me is a slightly different thing, and to me it surely sounds different, too.

• Don't quite agree that PB is just a Gain .
    I am using it a lot, almost in all of my new rigs , both in Pre stack section and locked in a X slot .
    So, depending on rig it self and amount of existing stomps, PB will have different effect .
    If it is about clean rig- it will just add Volume , some clarity, or better to say sharpness.
    If I add the real Gain on clean profile- it will result in clean profile becoming crunchy or brownish , not clearer and sharper.

But if you add PB before overdrive or booster , it will add a gain , but only in Pre stack section .
    In X slot section it will be just louder , no change in "gain " , gain will stays the same ....

At least this is what I hear when playing with PB.

Main use of PB in my case is to decrease impact of my pretty powerful Anderson pups , so I put and lock PB in B stomp , PB volume is minus something depending of rig , and than add PB in X slot , but plus something to help cutting the mix , and make it more articulative ,if you know what I mean ..
    Just my 2 cents

ps
    on the end PB has just one parameter- Volume , it may tell you something as well...

Without PB my rigs will never be so gooooood !!!
    (it took me 3 years to realise power of this incredibly simple , bur gorgeous effect !
    Thanks Kemper for that.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 3 times, last by Rescator ().

• From the manual:

The Pure Booster features a “Volume” control like all the other effects, but that’s it. The Volume control will
    boost or attenuate the signal without coloring the sound. When you place it in front of the amp or a distortion stomp, the pure booster has the same effect as the Gain or Drive control; placed after the Stack section, the Pure Booster becomes a simple volume control, with no further coloration of the signal.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• From the manual:

The Pure Booster features a “Volume” control like all the other effects, but that’s it. The Volume control will
    boost or attenuate the signal without coloring the sound. When you place it in front of the amp or a distortion stomp, the pure booster has the same effect as the Gain or Drive control; placed after the Stack section, the Pure Booster becomes a simple volume control, with no further coloration of the signal.

Thank you, I stand corrected then. :)

• We should believe to our ears much more ...
    I can read Kemper Manuel as a starting reference , but my ears are the judge on the end.

• We should believe to our ears much more ...
    I can read Kemper Manuel as a starting reference , but my ears are the judge on the end.

No, actually it's your brain that's making up the final picture and is the judge in the end
    From a physiological POV. ;)

• No, actually it's your brain that's making up the final picture and is the judge in the end
    From a physiological POV. ;)

Of course it is my brain , and my soul and my EAR in this case.
    In opposite it will be somebody else , or very average Joe who believe in mainstream shit :D
    In other words who is that entity telling me I am not me , ie I am wrong in what I like and what I do not like ???? :D

Edited 7 times, last by Rescator ().