Help me please - How do I record guitar videos with my Kemper like you see on youtube?

• Hi everyone. I need some help please. I want to record some great quality videos like I see on youtube. I need to know If I can do this with my Iphone 6 or Ipad and also what is the process? What software would I need? I have a mac. Do I record myself playing, and then record the actual track through my DAW and somehow sync it all up and combine the audio and video? Is that how people do this? Also how do I make a video where you see me playing rhythm and then a smaller box is shown of me playing the solo? Im unsure about how all the recording of these awesome sounding guitar videos are done on youtube. I dont want it to be live, I want to record hi quality sound with hi quality video.

Thanks for any help, tips and advice!

• I record the guitar and bass parts using my Kemper plugged into my MBox2 interface via SPDIF with Pro Tools running on my PC. I also video myself at the same time using a camcorder. I edit/mix/master in Pro Tools using T-RackS software and then transfer to PowerDirector to sync with the video clips I recorded. I remove the sound from the video clip, so only the sound recorded via the Kemper/MBox2/PC is heard on the finished track.

PowerDirector includes options for having different windows showing at the same time.

It's just a hobby, but here's an example of me playing guitar and bass using the Kemper:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I record via Kemper into my UAD Apollo using Studio One. To film I use either a Zoom QHD3 when on the road or my Nikon SLR when at home. I import the material and synch it up via iMovie which is really great and comprehensive. I used to use FCX but when that was discontinued I used iMovie. Works great and is easy. If you want more super features you need to go FCP or Adobe Premier

You can check out my stuff here

https://youtube.com/user/TheLightspeeder1

• I record via Kemper into my UAD Apollo using Studio One. To film I use either a Zoom QHD3 when on the road or my Nikon SLR when at home. I import the material and synch it up via iMovie which is really great and comprehensive. I used to use FCX but when that was discontinued I used iMovie. Works great and is easy. If you want more super features you need to go FCP or Adobe Premier

You can check out my stuff here

https://youtube.com/user/TheLightspeeder1

German Schauss! I know who you are man! I have all of your guitar tab books! I love classical music and your stuff is fantastic! Do you have any new tab books in the works? Anymore classical stuff? Okay back to the subject I successfully made my first video.. The sync is off a bot because I made a small goof at the video recording but I am encouraged that it looks like I may have figured it out. What I did was record my Kemper into my StudioOne2 daw. I also recorded myself at the same time on my Iphone 6. I then imported my video into Imovie and muted the audio. I then imported my mixed down WAV. file onto the video clip. I hit play and it sounded great!

Do you know how I can do the PIP function in Imovie so I can include a box with video for when I solo over my rhythm track?

Thanks and keep up the awesome playing!

• I record, mix and master the audio first. Then "play" along the track and record that as footage, line up the recorded track and footage and mute the audio. If you want really good quality footage, look into "diy video lighting" and "diy cinematography" on youtube. Picture in picture is really easy to do in something like Sony Vegas or After Effects.

Here's a free alternative to SV and AE: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

• Thanks NakedZen. I appreciate the info, that sounds like a good technique. I am using Imovie so far, I need to see if it can do PIP. I am looking into Apples final cut pro also. It looks to be a more powerful video editing solution. I want to make some kick ass videos and I think I have the basic knowledge down, now I need to refine everything. I'm going to check out that stuff you mentioned on youtube.

• Thanks Burning Yen! That helps alot. I dont have that version of Imovie but will get it. I have a question regarding the audio on a pip clip. Do I just import say the solo audio that will be synched with my PIP clip and place it under the pip clip or do I first have to sync the whole solo clip together and then import it as a single clip when inserting it into the full movie?

Thanks!

• :D awesome! Thanks! I got a few new ones out on guitar technique and a new one on the way later this year.

as for recording video, audio and syncing, I keep the audio from my camera, so that will help me sync the audio waves to mach the recorded tracks... iMovie etc is so good now that you get it close by dragging it in randomly almost.

another thing but that's a personal preference ...I record my performance and use the recorded audio. I don't do it the other way and fingersync. I know, everyone wants to be perfect but music is alive and mistakes are ok:)