Feature request : USB to DAW ?

• Hi,

I very recently bought my Kemper as a replacement for a POD-HD500X.
    My POD could plug in straight into my PC/laptop using USB for recording into my DAW (Presonus Studio).
    Hoping to use the Kemper in the same way - searching on this forum I could find a thread here suggesting to use S/PDIF or the analogue outputs..

Using S/PDIF requires the purchase of another interface, so does using the analogue outputs unnecessarily introducing two extra conversions (D/A & A/D).

Forgive me if this has been requested/answered before, but will the Kemper ever support recording through USB into a DAW ?
    Surely if my POD can do this - the Kemper should be able to !! ;(

Thanks,Berry

• Thanks for the welcome Ingolf!

Any pointers from anybody to an inexpensive audio interface only having S/PDIF input to USB/DAW ? (as I already own a mono analogue interface not having s/pdif)

Many thanks,
    Berry

• Fully understand your request, Berry.

The POD X3 (Pro) unit I'm selling offers 8 channels via USB - 2 sets of stereo for the dual-path processing, DI and so on.

The thing is, if you consider the sound coming out of the Kemper's DAs as your awesome, perfect source, which it is, this puts you in a position no different from one where you've miked up your rig... if it were a good one... in a good studio... with a good mic and preamp.

In this context, it's not a bad starting point, is it? Some good AD converters are all you'll need, and you'd require them for any mic or line sources anyway.

• I can see how this feature could be attractive but it's also not really practical...if you run a studio, home, project or commercial, you have probably a very expensive AD/DA converter system in place, perhaps with a console, outboard gear and plug ins. Running an extra USB audio interface and changing your setup is not very helpful nor adding to the quality of the audio. Plus USB 2.0 is really not that great. For example the AxeFx loses connection all the time when used via editor or as I/O.Tbh, id never use my KPA as standalone I/O. I got my studio setup and it only complicate things.

• Currently the #1 most requested feature (now that the looper is already available):

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…ou-like-to-be-added-next/

Sad that Kemper won't make it happen.

Thanks for pointing me to that poll !
    Guess what my vote was :whistling:

Now wired my Kemper into the return loop of my POD and connected to the DAW with POD's USB .. far from ideal, but at least I can now record stuff without breaking the bank ..

• The poll is from 2013 and has the most asked for feature missing - which is an editor in my opinion.

I prefer the concept of having dedicated devices for each task. There is a huge variety of audio interfaces available - from cheapo to expensive studio gear. I cannot imagine a single reason why Kemper would want to dedicate any of their limited resources to developing a functionality, that you can simply buy for 50 to 200 bucks, instead of trying to improve and develop their product specific and unique features.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I prefer the concept of having dedicated devices for each task. I cannot imagine a single reason why Kemper would want to dedicate any of their limited resources to developing a functionality, that you can simply buy for 50 to 200 bucks, instead of trying to improve and develop their product specific and unique features.

And I can't understand why the kpa shouldn't profit from this feature.
    The KPA is a beautiful multitool for use at home, rehearsal, live and in studio. For many users it combines their whole setup in one device.
    And this feature would make it even more versatile.
    The reason for this feature is (partly) the same than for any other feature the KPA already got: WHY NOT.
    Why does it have an FX section? They could have said "the KPA should profile amps, it doesn't profile fx, so it doesn't need fx. You can use the fx pedals you already got. Or buy some for a few bucks. We prefer improving our unique features".
    But it is always nice to have the possibility to use internal feature.

I never read that they think it would be extraordinary complicated to implement this feature.
    If they would say that this feature CAN'T be implemented because of hardware reasons ok, but I can't understand all the other "reasons" I'm reading.
    The Kemper works with a digital signal.
    You even can send this digital signal via SPDIF.
    In most threads SPDIF is recomended for recording. When using SPDIF your Interface and cables have no effect to the sound(quality). But on the other hand Audio via USB is not planed as feature cause it should be "better" to use ur own interface with its own soundinfluence?? Isn't it part of the Kemper-concept that you can build rigs that mirror the sound of the whole chain (amp, speaker, mic, MICPREAMP, EQ...) And now I should "benefit" from colouring my perfect tweaked sound with an interface? Needless to say that there might be quite few users that say "I so much like how my interface colours the sound". Or do they think instaling one additional driver on our PCs would be a problem?
    Isn't it possible for Kemper to send the audio via USB in same quality as u get with the SPDIF?
    I guess it is not as easy as it sounds, but I never read that this is the problem. So why for sake just don't f****ng do it?

Just look into the forum how many people ask for this feature. If it wouldn't make sense there wouldn't be so many people asking for it.

• Oh oh... The f bomb was used. ;)

using the KPA as an interface will only bring up lots of more problems and issues. If you got 2k for an "recording" amp, why can't you invest in a good audio interface that also enables you to do so much more with your recordings?

as I said, it'd be a convenient feature but probably not sustainable.

I am happy to use it with my UA Apollo and enjoy the great sound of the KPA :)

• I have a good interface (Firestudio Mobile). The problem is that I don't have a dedicated music workspace, so each time I want to record a quick demo I have to pull everything out of the closet, set up, record and put everything away again. Having to connect an extra piece of gear would often mean the difference between recording and just deciding to go to bed. My workaround is to use a dual-1/4"-to-3.5mm Y cable, but it would be preferable to connect digitally. Based on how much USB audio has been requested, I suspect my situation isn't unique.

• Having to connect an extra piece of gear would often mean the difference between recording and just deciding to go to bed.

Yes.
    I also got a good interface. But I like keeping things simple.
    I also had a Strymon Timeline and Mobius. They gave me "better" Delays and Modulation (or at least more options). But i managed with the ones from Kemper and sold the Strymons for the same reason I want a Audio via USB feature: Having the option to do it and keeping the rig small.

• I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is that using s/pdif will not give you a 100% digital representation because of clock issues inherent with the way digital information is transmitted over s/pdif unless you have very expensive gear. Transferring data over USB will not have this issue and should give you a 100% digital reproduction.
    And again, if the Line6 POD can do it, why on earth can't Kemper ?
    Can't be that difficult - ASIO is pretty much standard..

KR,
    Berry

• I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is that using s/pdif will not give you a 100% digital representation because of clock issues inherent with the way digital information is transmitted over s/pdif unless you have very expensive gear. Transferring data over USB will not have this issue and should give you a 100% digital reproduction.
    And again, if the Line6 POD can do it, why on earth can't Kemper ?
    Can't be that difficult - ASIO is pretty much standard..

KR,
    Berry

Well, I guess that CK is an expert. If he states that it is indeed not that easy I would assume he's right unless I have other information.
    By the way could you explain the stuff you said about s/pdif versus usb? I've never heard about that and to be honest, to me it sounds like the usual internet halfknowledge. What is your understanding based on?

• My very limited understanding is that s/pdif has just a stream of 0s/1s without any clock reference, with USB you can transfer data like any serial transmission against a clock without data loss.