12- string guitar simulation like in the Digitech Mosaic

• Hey y’all,

I use the Digitech Mosaic and am quite satisfied with the result. It’s not an exact replica of the Rickenbacker 360/12, but it comes close. The signal chain is: Guitar > Digitech Mosaic > compressor > Kemper.

Guitar

IMO it works better with humbuckers, and best with a Gibson 335-style guitar with the Varitone Switch on 5 or 6 depending on your profile. This gives the guitar a sound most similar to the Rickenbacker. (The guitar I’m using is a Gibson ES-345 and it came out best out of the test when compared with a Fender Elite Telecaster, a Fender Stratocaster Deluxe, an Ibanez PM-2 and a Gretsch 1962 reissue Country Gentleman.)

Concerning the pickups, both are engaged, with the volume of the neck pickup toned down by a third. This gives the bridge pickup a more prominent presence, resulting in jangle. The tone knobs are also engaged; it shouldn’t be too bright coming into the Digitech Mosaic.

Digitech Mosaic

I like to max out the Level, making the most out of the 12-string. The tone, however, is toned down by more than a half.

Jackson Audio Bloom

I use this Compressor Pedal to give the tone some extra snap. It has a boost option, which you can set up bright!

Profiling Amp

Choose the profile you wish to use. Concerning the signal chain, however, if you don’t own a compressor pedal or and bright boost pedal, add this in the Kemper. That’s where the magic starts! Concerning the latter, play with the tone knobs on your guitar and on the Mosaic to find a right balance. I prefer brightening up the tone with the Bloom, thus after de Mosaic.

Good luck everyone! Would love to hear your thoughts.

• Welcome! I have the Tone at 11:00 and the Level at 1:00, and run it into the profile “Remember Me” (something like that; a clean JC-120 profile) which has a compressor and chorus. I also like to use a bridge humbucker, and have found that picking close to the bridge enhances both tone and tracking.