12- string guitar simulation like in the Digitech Mosaic

• @Monkey_Man, I have to admit I have owned 4 Variaxes from 2003 on, the 500, the 700, the 600 and the JTV69.
    While the 12-string emulation is pretty decent I couldn't bond with the guitars (you see I tried hard :) ) and to me the Digitech approach of intelligent pitch shifting plus doubling is definitely more appealing.

Fair enough, Ingolf; just puttin' it out there, mate.

Of course, only the JTV69 you owned would've come close to sounding like the real thing, IMHO. I also had the top-of-the-line previous-gen 700 and to me the "mk1" models didn't even come remotely close to the JTV / v2 ones. Pity you couldn't bond with the '69; this one turned out to be my "fave" of the lot. It took a year of messing with the setup 'though...

I totally get where you're coming from. Being able to switch the sound in without having to swap guitars, and then to be happy with the sound must seem like a Godsend to you, bro'.

• +1

I have the Mosaic and it does an amazing job, as Ingolf described. If you play a twelve it may not fool you, but in a band context it works extremely well. For those of us without a twelve, it is more than adequate. I have mine between the guitar and the KPA, first in line in a rapidly diminishing pedal board. One trick: I have found playing close to the bridge improves the "jangle," as well as enhances the accuracy of pitch detection and decreases artifacts.

• Always a fan of the 12-string, I took it upon myself to first tweak a good Kemper Rig by Paults as close as I could to an actual 12-string sound (sorry Paul, fine tuning did improve on your already great start here). Yes, Ingolf, I certainly understand where a true 12-string diverges from just an octaver or chromatic harmonizer effect on the KPA and of course you are quite correct. Well I took my tweaked Kemper rig to practice with one of my bands. I played the KPA adjusted rig, then I switched and engaged the new Mosaic I recently purchased as a result of this discussion. The results of my experiment?

The band could not tell any difference whatsoever. None! They could tell a subtle difference when I played strictly solo versus with the 4 piece, but barely. And that doesn't happen often in our repertoire. Not enough to add more to my board, or more foot pedal button presses. The other objection I had to the Mosaic - going from a clean 12-string sound to a lead tone without 12-string required at minimum two button presses - one for the Mosaic, and one for the new KPA lead rig. That's a lot when you're on stage. More dancing than I care to do. Doing it with my tweaked emulation, while not pure to the purists like Ingolf and others whom I also respect, I can switch up with a single click. That's my kind of world!

Just thought I'd share this experience.

Gary ô¿ô

• OK - the rig is uploaded with the label I mentioned above.

Realize I am NOT trying to convert you, Ingolf. This is not perfect, it's just a very playable, non-precise 12-string emulation (as you've accurately pointed out), that most listeners won't be able to notice any difference between anyway.

BTW - I sent my Mosaic back for a refund. Thought: Add a treble booster if you want more jangle! My newest band does a bunch of Petty (too much for my liking actually) and country, and man, this really fits the bill just great - and with only one preset button press... love it! Hope some of you do too.

Gary ô¿ô

Realize I am NOT trying to convert you, Ingolf. This is not perfect, it's just a very playable, non-precise 12-string emulation (as you've accurately pointed out), that most listeners won't be able to notice any difference between anyway.

BTW - I sent my Mosaic back for a refund. Thought: Add a treble booster if you want more jangle! My newest band does a bunch of Petty (too much for my liking actually) and country, and man, this really fits the bill just great - and with only one preset button press... love it! Hope some of you do too.

Thank you, I'll definitely check this out.

I tried the rig and it's very usable IF I turn down the mix from your 37% (which I consider much too bright even with my SG) to about 20%.
    Thank you, Gary!

• Every guitar is a bit different, naturally. I now have found a better compromise with my PRS at about 30%, but my perception of this may change from night to night, who knows?! I'm glad if any can find usefulness at whatever settings they can. It's still easier than hitting 2 rig buttons than 1, which was my ultimate goal. Thanks for your feedback Ingolf.

Gary ô¿ô