Kemper dilemma

• Hi guys.
    My first post here, i don't own a Kemper yet, but as soon as i made up my mind about which one to get, i'm hitting some order now button.
    So i'm wondering..

-Rack or lunchbox..
    I'd prefer the rack, but does it have EXACTLY the same amount of knobs and same size display? I don't want to sacrifice one bit ease of use.

-Poweramp or not.
    Is the poweramp better for some reason as a standalone aftermarket (tube) poweramp, or using (tube)heads fx return? If there's no real advantage in using the Kemper poweramp i'd rather save the cash. Also, i have read it's 600 Watts. Won't that blow the speakers out of my 100w cabinet?!?

-Which footswitch?
    The Kemper footswitch costs about 300 Euro's more as the dedicated Behringer fcb.
    Is it worth the extra dough, and which functions does it have that the Behringer has not?

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys!!

• Hi Grolschy,

The Rack-Version sounds the same as the lunchbox. However, it has two knobs less (for modulation), has the USB-Port on the Front and doesn't have the LED-Collars around the Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence and Volume Knobs.
    This made me choose the Lunchbox-Version.

The internal Poweramp is solid-state, so it does not color the sound. Using a tube poweramp or the fx return of your amp would result in having two tube poweramps (the simulated one and the real one). This would have an impact on the sound (not necessarily in a bad way though).
    If you would want to have an external power-amp you could use something like the Matrix-Poweramps or an aftermarket amp that fits in the back-cavity of the lunchbox (ambrosi, etc.)
    I went for the powerhead, because that gives me more options, doesn't weight much more doesn't need more space than the unpowered version.
    I'm using it with my 1x12 vintage 30 loaded cabinet. It has 16 ohm and can take up to 60 Watt. I didn't have problems with that combination at rehearsal or gig volume.

I went for the Behringer with Uno4Kemper-Chip 'cause the Remote is pretty expensive and you need to buy external expression-pedals.
    Funktion-wise the remote can do a bit more (looper, easy assignment of funktions) but lacks the abbility to be connected to other gear.
    So if you are willing to spend more, don't want to program your controller, need a looper or want to use specific expression pedals, you should go for the remote.
    I just needed to change performance-slots and switch on/off some effects. Also the two built-in expression bedals of the fcb1010 suit me just fine.
    I don't have the fcb1010 for a long time though, so i can't comment on reliability.

I hope that helps :)

Regards,
    LH

• I have a Camplifier 290, but recently acquired a Fryette Power Station (60 watt 6L6 power amp), and much prefer that. I monitor without speaker emulation to the PS and a 2x12 guitar cab. The Power Station is a solid, clean amp....and has EQ capabilities that allow me to taylor my stage sound w/out effecting the FOH output from the Kemper.

I think you will be fine with a tube power amp....so long as it is powerful enough to provide the clean headroom that you need. You don't want to push it to the point where it is providing saturation and compression.

But you also have to consider fault protection. I still prefer having the Camplifier on stage, ready to go in case the Fryette fails, and if the Kemper fails, I carry a Zoom G3 as well as an EHX Magnum 44.

• I have both toaster and rack version they are both unpowered. My toaster I use in the studio but my rack I use live. I don't tweak my sound live much so, where if I did I'd really miss the LED's that are missin in the rack. I would really think hard about if you will need the LED's or not because I think this is one of the great selling points of the toaster, I find them great in the studio!!

i ditched my FCB for the kemper remote and would not want to go back. The remote might be a little expensive in some people's eyes, but the ease of use and configuring plus always having 100% compatibility on FW upgrades is worth the cash in my opinion.

what ever you go for you are going to be blown away by the kemper trust me.

• Ok guys thanks for the help.
    LH that's what i needed to know, it wil definatly be a lunchbox now. And i'm also leaning towards the Behringer footswitch now. Does it need a lot of programming straight from the box? And is it complicated?
    Still not sure on the poweramp though, guess i will do a little more research on that.
    Thanks again!

• Ok guys thanks for the help.
    LH that's what i needed to know, it wil definatly be a lunchbox now. And i'm also leaning towards the Behringer footswitch now. Does it need a lot of programming straight from the box? And is it complicated?
    Still not sure on the poweramp though, guess i will do a little more research on that.
    Thanks again!

If you buy the Uno4Kemper chip for the FCB very little programming is needed. With the normal chip it can be a right pain in the arse. But it will never be as easy as the remote is :)

• Talking about power amps, the advantage of the Lunchbox over the rack is that you can retrofit it later with a less expensive and less powerful dedicated power amp. I went that route and spent around 200 € (see my sig).
    Nowadays there are lots of options on the market.

:)

• Allright guys. Thanks for all the input.
    It's gonna be a unpowered lunchbox.
    Since most people seem to prefer PA speakers over guitar cabs with the Kemper, i'd better spend the cash on a used powered speaker for rehearsal.
    I'm still not entirely sure on the footswitch though.
    Does anyone here have the Kemper gigbag for lunchbox btw? Does anyone know if the footswitch fits in there too? That would be a big + for the Kemper remote..
    And can the looper be operated by the Behringer?

Since most people seem to prefer PA speakers over guitar cabs with the Kemper, i'd better spend the cash on a used powered speaker for rehearsal.
    Does anyone here have the Kemper gigbag for lunchbox btw? Does anyone know if the footswitch fits in there too? That would be a big + for the Kemper remote..

I use an behringer with an uno4kemper chip from belgium. After carefully replaced the chip, and calibrating the pedals (its easy), its like plug an play. Please note that the stomps are global, so they change only the stomps in the same way. First i thought i can set them special to every rig, but with the uno it isnt so.

Yes, the lunchbox+the remote fit in the green Kemper gigbag. It is VERY tight at first then the material will loose a bit and everything will be fine.