outputs

• I too want to get a "fuller" understanding of all the output options of the PowerRack...

At the moment my understanding of the options available are:

MAIN OUTS (via XLR) Stereo signal of entire rigs to mixer @ FOH / P.A.

MONITOR OUT (TS / TRS to XLR?) for mono/stereo signal respectively to an ACTIVE monitor (for example a FRFR wedge unit) with cabinet simulation bypassed in the OUTPUT options?

DIRECT OUTPUT - additional option as same as above (MONITOR OUT) ?

SPEAKER OUTPUT 8-16ohms (via a speaker cable) to a single guitar cabinet (rated at 8 or 16ohms) or 2x 16ohm cabs hooked up via 'series' connection like some cabs offer...?

S/PDIF OUT - (via coax SPDIF cable) to an SPDIF IN for digital quality transference of entire rig (or whichever options you select form the SPDIF out on the OUTPUTS page) - what could this be utilised for in a LIVE scenario? - Thinking an unprocessed D.I. ('Gtr Studio' as called on the KPA...) - does anyone else have suggestions for different uses of this output LIVE...? Obviously great for re-amping in the studio...

Is my current understanding correct / any other options I'm missing or any clever / intuitive suggestions others have? :)

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• All quarter inch outputs except the headphone are mono TS.
    You can disable the cab sim by activating the Monitor cab off function in the output menu when you want to use a typical guitar cab for monitoring.
    In case of a FRFR cab you would want to leave the cab sim on though.
    The Direct out does not offer the monitor cab off function.
    You can connect 2 16 ohm cabs in a parallel fashion to achieve 8 ohm.
    You could use the SPDIF out live if you have a digital mixing board with a coaxial SPDIF input.

• Awesome, thanks. What would the 'Direct Out' be used for/in conjunction with then for example?

I ran my Kemper in a band practice / live scenario for the first time today... It's the powered rack and I had to crank the Master vol. all the way up to 10 to get a decent level through a 4x12 (rig vols differ for impact)

I also plugged the Main Outs into a mixing console > P.A. via 2x XLR to 1/4" TS (as I read somewhere that the H&K Redbox produced a high level signal that could damage the mic pres in my 18i20 interface if an XLR to XLR cable was used (thereby engaging the pres) whereas if an XLR to 1/4" adapter was employed it would bypass the mic pres altogether on that particular interface... I assumed this was the best practice route to take into this mixing console to the P.A. ...)

Anyhow, towards the end of the session, the cab started to smell of burning (it's a Marshall 4x12 - not sure on the speakers...) but I guess I'd been driving it pretty hard and so turned this down a bit, seemed to sort it out.

Also, on one of my Kemper performance slot presets I have a series of FX engaged which somehow caused a spark in one the P.A. speakers! The FX chain in question was something like SERIOUSLY heavy reverb and delay...

I'm assuming this isn't normal performance of this equipment and am a little disappointed that it happened... How can I avoid future occurrences of this happening?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Anyone?!

Also, what can the 'DIRECT OUT' be suitably used for then... D.I. ?

Not sure about your burning smell when driving the cab, but the direct output is for sending the direct guitar signal out for recording/re-amping purposes or to create an effects loop (see below excerpt from the manual):

Direct Output/Send (3)
    This carries the direct output signal in glorious mono. The main purpose for this output is to feed signals
    into the reference amp while profiling. But it can do more than just that: you can also use the DIRECT
    OUTPUT in combination with the RETURN INPUT to create an effects loop. In this case, the DIRECT OUTPUT
    becomes a mono send. If you’re not using this output as part of an effects loop, it will carry the original
    guitar signal. So, if you want to record your guitar dry, connect the DIRECT OUTPUT to the recording
    device or audio interface input.

• This may have something to do with it.......!!?

Just got an email response from Focusrite support saying that the Kemper should be connected to their interfaces (Scarlett 18i20 I'm running specifically) via a JACK plug as opposed to XLR connection (I've been using XLR to XLR - though when I connected to the mixer at the practice space in the full band scenario I actually used 2x XLR to 1/4" converters...) --> This bypasses the mic preamps of the interface

They also said that most mixers/FOH would be jack plug IN's also; so why are the MAIN OUTS XLR ? (is it simply for balanced circuits, ie. potentially long cable runs?) and then you are meant to use an XLR male to 1/4" male converter at the mixer end ? or do you a lot of FOH just have XLR to 1/4" anyways? I was under the impression XLR to XLR was the most ubiquitous studio cable (aside from instrument jack to jack obviously)

How is everyone else connecting their Kemper MAIN OUTS to gear?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• You can use 1/4" plugs for connecting the Main out to anything, do not need any converter.
    Also, there're other devices apart from mixers, such as active cabs.

For a short connection to a sound card, a balanced line is basically useless, unless the environment is E\M-cally very "polluted".

• Good shout, I've always been under the mindset XLR is more reliable for some reason (perhaps because of balanced circuitry and noise cancelling qualities...)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• This is certainly true generally speaking, it's just that some times this higher reliability is redundant, so to speak: if the Em pollution in the environment is negligible, or the connection is short, you'd hardly hear any difference except the higher level.
    (Noise is something like pollution x length :) )