Your Honest opinion on Kemper as a live rig

• Profiler live is the best. I echo the above comments. However, 'm not a typical venue hopping musician anymore. I'm a worship leader at a church and keep my KPA and midi controllable pedals (an eventide H9 and Line6 M5 in a side room off the stage and have only the Behringer midi board at my feet. I always get consistent and awesome live sound, plus I can go in there during the week, flip a switch and tweak my sounds for the upcoming weekend music. I like to set up my presets (rigs as Kemper calls them) in a row for the songs we are doing so I can do minimal tap dance. I've used the KPA in venues before though, and liked using it with a yamaha powered speaker DXR12.

What makes the KPA the absolute best compared with every other multi-effects and even traditional pedalboards is how it normalizes volume. Once the clean sens is set correct for the output of your guitar, every Rig, rather clean, overdriven, or high gain, with or without boost pedals in the pre amp slots is automatically balanced for the exact same volume. You can turn the gain on an amp profile up or down and the volume stays exactly the same. (though you actually can turn the volume up or down if you want to on certain presets (rigs) if you want to) Even using real overdrive pedals in a traditional pedal board requires you to adjust the volume after you tweak the gain and tone knobs. Not with the Kemper. This is a huge time saver.

The only reasons to not use a KPA live is because you are just comfortable using your traditional set up and want to avoid the adjustment period. It's also a fair argument that simply having a few pedals to tweak is easier. The complexity of using the Kemper or any multi effect unit live is based on how simply you operate the unit. If you have a few dozen presets in a multi effect unit each with different combinations of effects, of course on the fly adjustments are going to take more time than a traditional pedal board. However, if you only use you multi effect device with a couple presets with a few effects that you can turn on and off, tweaking such a unit can be done just about as easy as the traditional pedal set up. Using any new set up in a live situation for the first time is a little disconcerting. Also, musicians are vain. They want to look cool and the way to do that is to do what every other guitarist does, by having a cool looking pedal board with pretty pedals and a tube amp.

• This simply isn't true. I suggest you read the manual for the Remote.

No, I got my remote very early and had the opportunity to test it very deeply. Besides this, in March, I talked to a Kemper-Guy for about 6 hours in our rehearsal-room, concerning my idea to realize multi-assignment and effect-looping (our rehearsal-room is in Recklinghausen). I there learned, that the KPA-team goes with performances as effect-scenes instead of effect-loops.

I think there is a misunderstanding between us, what I mean with one effect on/off. I mean, that one effect can only be used once within one rig or one performance-slot in the 4 effect-buttons. That's the reason why multi-assignment is not possible.

• Profiler live is the best. I echo the above comments. However, 'm not a typical venue hopping musician anymore. I'm a worship leader at a church and keep my KPA and midi controllable pedals (an eventide H9 and Line6 M5 in a side room off the stage and have only the Behringer midi board at my feet. I always get consistent and awesome live sound, plus I can go in there during the week, flip a switch and tweak my sounds for the upcoming weekend music. I like to set up my presets (rigs as Kemper calls them) in a row for the songs we are doing so I can do minimal tap dance. I've used the KPA in venues before though, and liked using it with a yamaha powered speaker DXR12.

What makes the KPA the absolute best compared with every other multi-effects and even traditional pedalboards is how it normalizes volume. Once the clean sens is set correct for the output of your guitar, every Rig, rather clean, overdriven, or high gain, with or without boost pedals in the pre amp slots is automatically balanced for the exact same volume. You can turn the gain on an amp profile up or down and the volume stays exactly the same. (though you actually can turn the volume up or down if you want to on certain presets (rigs) if you want to) Even using real overdrive pedals in a traditional pedal board requires you to adjust the volume after you tweak the gain and tone knobs. Not with the Kemper. This is a huge time saver.

The only reasons to not use a KPA live is because you are just comfortable using your traditional set up and want to avoid the adjustment period. It's also a fair argument that simply having a few pedals to tweak is easier. The complexity of using the Kemper or any multi effect unit live is based on how simply you operate the unit. If you have a few dozen presets in a multi effect unit each with different combinations of effects, of course on the fly adjustments are going to take more time than a traditional pedal board. However, if you only use you multi effect device with a couple presets with a few effects that you can turn on and off, tweaking such a unit can be done just about as easy as the traditional pedal set up. Using any new set up in a live situation for the first time is a little disconcerting. Also, musicians are vain. They want to look cool and the way to do that is to do what every other guitarist does, by having a cool looking pedal board with pretty pedals and a tube amp.

That's what I forgot !
    Due to the still ongoing change of paradigm concerning guitarist-stage-appearence, it not yet cool looking, having a christmas-illuminated-toaster in the back instead of two Marshall-Double-Stacks. :thumbup:

• No, I got my remote very early and had the opportunity to test it very deeply. Besides this, in March, I talked to a Kemper-Guy for about 6 hours in our rehearsal-room, concerning my idea to realize multi-assignment and effect-looping (our rehearsal-room is in Recklinghausen). I there learned, that the KPA-team goes with performances as effect-scenes instead of effect-loops.

I think there is a misunderstanding between us, what I mean with one effect on/off. I mean, that one effect can only be used once within one rig or one performance-slot in the 4 effect-buttons. That's the reason why multi-assignment is not possible.

Ah I see. Yes, that's a better explanation (the other way makes it sound as though the I-IV buttons are only assignable to one effect at a time and can only be used to switch effects on or off).

• Been using it like for 3 years, most recently in about 150 gigs a year. I personally have only used two Yamaha dxr 12s, until recently. Just recently got an ISP stealth and an avatar 2x12 and I couldn't be happier using that setup. I'm so comfortable with my sounds going to FOH I don't care if my tones are "colored" by my amp/cab setup. I still feel it really is hard to beat that feel and sound on stage, a 2x12 just sounds thicker to me than frfr, but they are both still great and I use both together: THAT is the winner in my opinion. Also when playing smaller venues, having an amp and can on stage helps with stage gap, as the audience hears the speakers/FOH above them only and may not hear you at all, creating a thinner sound, this is something I've noticed but that goes with Any direct rig not just the kemper. overall I couldn't be happier and neither could the artists I play with.

This is exactly the way I use it (My wife and I lead worship at our church, I - obviously - play guitar). Sound wise, it is so consistent, I love it. I have a remote and use performance mode, put together the set list for the week (usually just 5 songs) and click through them when we play Sunday. I put the intro, verse, chorus, bridge and outro into each performance slot (if needed or if they are different enough that they can't just be changed by putting an OD on/off and turning on/off a delay or other effect). That way, I just have to step through the 5 slots as I go through the song, keep the tap dancing down which I was never a big fan of when I had my big pedal board. It works really great for live stuff, so consistent.

Having just a few pedals is easier, but if you are like me and a terrible pedal hog, you never have enough pedals, once I got my KPA, I stopped trying to buy the next greatest pedal and just went with the tones in the KPA. (plus I sold almost all my 'cool' pedals to fund my Kemper) The main thing is, you don't really need a ton of different pedals (overdrives and distortions) because what those pedals are typically trying to imitate is the distortion sound of a particular amp, and those are all in the KPA already. A big pedalboard does give you street cred though, you actually play better if you have all those pedals! ;)

• That's what I forgot !
    Due to the still ongoing change of paradigm concerning guitarist-stage-appearence, it not yet cool looking, having a christmas-illuminated-toaster in the back instead of two Marshall-Double-Stacks. :thumbup:

It's not a problem, just get one of these.http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/win-a-full-size-dummy-marshall-stack-286834

• you'll get problems on a very boomy stage. When the Drummer plays accents on his bass-drum my
    Wah starts suddenly though I don't touch it. (It's locked on slot 1 in all my performances). I think this is due to the fact that it's set to "start on pedal-move"
    I fastened all screws in the mission control pedal, but the problem is still occuring from time to time during my gigs.
    I next will try to put the pedal on a rubber surface, hope this will helps.

I think it's a good example to make clear that there are still a few "devils in detail" for live-use.

• [quote='Grooguit','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/20722-Your-Honest-opinion-on-Kemper-as-a-live-rig/?postID=229054#post229054']Profiler live is the best. I echo the above comments. However, 'm not a typical venue hopping musician anymore. I'm a worship leader at a church and keep my KPA and midi controllable pedals (an eventide H9 and Line6 M5 in a side room off the stage and have only the Behringer midi board at my feet. I'm curious how you are utilizing the h9 and m5.. Can you tell me more about your setup? Are you just running long ts cables from loop to other room? Midi from ?

• I love the profiler for recording and playing at home. I much prefer playing live with a real amp. I tried a couple of times with the Kemper live but the sound guys were a little bamboozled by it, so I just find it much easier to just plug in to my Bassman and pedals and go.

• I tried a couple of times with the Kemper live but the sound guys were a little bamboozled by it

Wow, this surprises me. How could it be easier than just getting the volume correct and setting EQ flat?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I'm not sure what my honest opinion is yet.

I've played only one gig with it so far. I thought it sounded great and the rest of the band liked it, but there is still some dialing in to be done. If I'm being honest I'd say it didn't quite feel like a tube amp. Now, maybe I need to get used to adjusting it on stage or maybe my speaker solution isn't quite right. It's also possible that it's a much different paradigm and I need to get used to it. I hope I can.

I think it will serve me well in two of the bands I play with but I'm not sure about the third.

• I'm not sure what my honest opinion is yet.

I've played only one gig with it so far. I thought it sounded great and the rest of the band liked it, but there is still some dialing in to be done. If I'm being honest I'd say it didn't quite feel like a tube amp. Now, maybe I need to get used to adjusting it on stage or maybe my speaker solution isn't quite right. It's also possible that it's a much different paradigm and I need to get used to it. I hope I can.

I think it will serve me well in two of the bands I play with but I'm not sure about the third.

You should stay with a real amp in the third band, just only not to loose contact with the original thing :thumbup:

• I have the powered 'toaster' into a Marshall 4x12 with the large magnet Celestion 30W greenbacks and it is awesome as a live rig.

I used to use a Line 6 Vetta Combo (2x12) with a 2x12 external cabinet, then more recently Marshall JVM410 head or Engl Powerball II head into the Marshall 4x12. I play in a Rock/Alternative/Dance cover band and in small clubs so no need to mic the cabinet, so audience always hears direct from cabinet. I need lots of different tones for 45 songs a night, so my tone/patch switching has always been with a midi pedal (and old ART X-11) to control 'patch' changes.

Profiled a couple of my favorite amp tones and used the rig manager to download others I liked and made favorite rigs in the Kemper that matched my various favorites with the other amps and switch the Kemper live using my midi pedal.

Have done about 6 gigs with the powered Kemper and it sounds awesome. To me, it sounds/"feels" as if I still had the Line6/Marshall/Engl working the speaker cabinet...but better tone! The Kemper delivers just as much bass/oomff to feel the low end, same as the Marshall or Engl. What is interesting (and probably a result of the Kemper mimicking more of a recorded tone) is that I don't notice the usual 4x12 cabinet directivity or "icepick" highs if you stand just at the right place in front of cabinet as you usually notice with regular amps. The Kemper powering the 4x12 yields a more consistent tone as you walk across the front of the band.

At my gig last Friday, an audience member that was there the whole night came up to me after the 3rd set and asked how long I had the Kemper, (I was impressed he recognized and knew what a Kemper was) and mentioned he was a recording engineer and had done stuff with people using Kemper's in the past year. He complemented me on all my tones used during the night (cleans, cleans with chorus, cleans with delays, about 4 different distortion tones some with chorus and flange and such). I'm the rhythm guitar player in a band that has an awesome lead player (can play original EVH Eruption note for note, Satriani note for note, etc) and yet I was the one the guy was complimenting because of the Kemper's tone.

A great thing about the Kemper is you can set up several global EQs based on the places you play. If the club has no carpet and is all solid reflecting surfaces, you can set up an EQ with a slightly dialed down highs and maybe a slight bass boost. If you play in a place with lots of carpeting and sound deadening on the wall, you can set up/store an opposite EQ.

Another great 'band' feature is the Kemper remembers the master volume last used when you turn off, and you can read the level as a number and even take a photo to remember what volume works well at a specific club. So when you get to the next gig you can dial the master volume to the exact number you used at the last gig for that club. Works great for those situations when people in the band start saying you are too loud or you are too soft...the Kemper owner is the consistent person from gig to gig. You can point out to the others in the band that they are the ones that have the volume setting problem!