Your Honest opinion on Kemper as a live rig

• [quote='Booyah',
    Maybe 20 seconds, 15 to have the sound guy set the eq flat and set the volume, then 5 more to tell him what I mean by completely flat and also to turn me the hell up! lol[/quote]

Ok, I'm fine with 20 seconds :D

Turning it up is another thing i noticed with the Kemper. We are two guitar players in the band and in the past (before the Kemper) I noticed that the sound guys tend to put the better sounding guitar higher in the mix. Since the sound depends heavily on how the cab is miced, sometimes I was louder in the mix, sometimes the other guitar player, which sucks since we have some nice arrangements and often play different things. Since i use the Kemper i am always louder in the mix :saint:

• [quote='Grooguit','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/20722-Your-Honest-opinion-on-Kemper-as-a-live-rig/?postID=229054#post229054']Profiler live is the best. I echo the above comments. However, 'm not a typical venue hopping musician anymore. I'm a worship leader at a church and keep my KPA and midi controllable pedals (an eventide H9 and Line6 M5 in a side room off the stage and have only the Behringer midi board at my feet. I'm curious how you are utilizing the h9 and m5.. Can you tell me more about your setup? Are you just running long ts cables from loop to other room? Midi from ?

Sorry didn't see this before, the internets are not my specialty. I have the h9 and m5 five in the effects loop, which I assign to the X slot right after the amp block. Since both pedals accept midi. In "slot settings" I can send a program change message to each pedal. on the H9 number 100 is bypass. the m5 doesn't have a bypass midi number. So my "bypass" for this pedal is an effect with the mix to zero. These pedals just sit next to the kemper backstage. I run a power cord and two midi cables out to my behringer w/uno for kemper mod. for rigs that use the h9 or m5 I leave the x slot on, in most cases the current lack of spillover isn't an issue. I generally use the built in kemper effects for most things and basic delays. Actually the only thing I use the M5 for is the autoswell effect, on occasion. The eventide I use for more ambient stuff. I also use the ducking parameter on the Kemper in the x slot loop controls to give more control over the H9. For one song, I have an arpeggiating tremolo effect from the H9 which the kemper ducks out as I strum out and arpeggiates when I hold a chord or note. In general, I avoid tap dancing, since I'm leading worship, singing lead on most songs while playing. So most songs only use one or two sounds, preferring to duck my delays and work the volume knob on my guitar. This allows me to use fewer rigs and not have to stare at my feet. I turn up the compression in the amp blocks and have a treble bleed on my strat, which gives me even more versatility in gain even on the same rig even before I turn a boost on or off.

• To get most out of your KPA (soundwise) it is recommendable to use FRFR speakers even on stage, though -as said above- it's a huge change of pardigm (I'm still adapting for now about 2 1/2 years). And to summarize all replies: A well sound-programmed KPA is unbeatable concerning sound quality for you and the public.
    Concerning "live-handling" I have to commit, there are more advantages for a real amp. It begins with: where to position your KPA (when not using a guitarbox to put it on). You need to make a bunch of connections (Floorboard, external stomps, P.A, Monitorbox, Wireless a.s.o.) while wiring up your combo and floorboard is no matter of time.
    And at last, due to the fact, that the KPA has so many features, there are always a few parameters to tweak before starting to play. This lead me to use my combo-amp for live-venues like blues-sessions or jam-sessions as a guest. But when it comes to a gig of my own band, I always use my KPA.
    One thought still to the remote:
    It looks and feels very reliable/solid and for me the main advantage is, that it's powered and controlled via the KPA. The amendment with expression pedals is very well solved and also very reliable (I use Mission control pedals, very solid and good looking together with the remote). But the programming of the remote is not yet adaquate to these hardware quality because the looper still doesn't work as it is supposed to do, and the effect switches are only programmed for switching one effect on and off. Multi-assignment isn't possible and creation of effect-scenes is not intended to be implemented. But the Kemper-Team is really busy in user- and product-support, so that I'm convinced that this genious product will develop further on to the state-of-the-art of digital guitar-amplification.

From what I've read, I believe they're working on the things you mentioned above...

What do you mean when you say "the looper still doesn't work as it is supposed to" - what improvments are you expecting/looking for here :) - there are some I can think of

EDIT: did I already ask you this...? (If so, apologies! Forums frustrate me..!)

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• What do you mean when you say "the looper still doesn't work as it is supposed to" - what improvments are you expecting/looking for here - there are some I can think of

F.e.:
    Though the looper's Position is set to "pre" the recorded Sound changes when changing a rig (or a Performance Slot) to Play along.
    I guess, the KPA-Team is working on that, hopefully.

Also multiple assignment of one effect under one rig is not supposed to be realised. I regret this, because then it would be possible to program an effect looper (with 4 Loops) under one rig.

After all: These are "luxary Problems" I think.

• This was the exact issue I was thinking of... That and when you solo/overdub over a loop - it is at the same level and same profile etc. so doesn't really elevate in the mix

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Wait. Can you choose where the looper is in the Kemper 'signal' chain?! (Mine is just on my remote and you click it on or off -- once it is on it is in looper mode and switches 1,2 & 3 control the looper functionality...)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Sorry didn't see this before, the internets are not my specialty. I have the h9 and m5 five in the effects loop, which I assign to the X slot right after the amp block. Since both pedals accept midi. In "slot settings" I can send a program change message to each pedal. on the H9 number 100 is bypass. the m5 doesn't have a bypass midi number. So my "bypass" for this pedal is an effect with the mix to zero. These pedals just sit next to the kemper backstage. I run a power cord and two midi cables out to my behringer w/uno for kemper mod. for rigs that use the h9 or m5 I leave the x slot on, in most cases the current lack of spillover isn't an issue. I generally use the built in kemper effects for most things and basic delays. Actually the only thing I use the M5 for is the autoswell effect, on occasion. The eventide I use for more ambient stuff. I also use the ducking parameter on the Kemper in the x slot loop controls to give more control over the H9. For one song, I have an arpeggiating tremolo effect from the H9 which the kemper ducks out as I strum out and arpeggiates when I hold a chord or note. In general, I avoid tap dancing, since I'm leading worship, singing lead on most songs while playing. So most songs only use one or two sounds, preferring to duck my delays and work the volume knob on my guitar. This allows me to use fewer rigs and not have to stare at my feet. I turn up the compression in the amp blocks and have a treble bleed on my strat, which gives me even more versatility in gain even on the same rig even before I turn a boost on or off.

Thanks for taking time to respond. I think there's some useful tips and info here for me. bTW, my feature request for the spillover trails in the loop is on the list according to mr c kemper

• Excuse the silly question guys but is it possible to use your cabinet essentially as a monitor and separately send for foh?

I have ordered myself a nice 1x12 cab , but plan on plugging straight in to pa

• Excuse the silly question guys but is it possible to use your cabinet essentially as a monitor and separately send for foh?

I have ordered myself a nice 1x12 cab , but plan on plugging straight in to pa

Yep! Just use Cab off on Monitor Out in the Output menu and unlink the main volume (so the master volume controls monitor out only), with the main output volume set somewhere between -15 and -20 dB.

• Not at all, it'll just be like using a regular amp, though, with all the pitfalls that come with it. It's happened to me more than once that the sound guy wanted to throw a mic on my cab. An XLR from the main out(s) will ensure that the sound out front is as good as you're used to getting, while the guitar cab connected to the monitor out (either the powered output if you have a powered profiler or via a poweramp) will give you a familiar tone on stage.

• I only had one gig where the Kemper wasn't ideal....it was using a 2x12 guitar cab in a tiny pub with terrible acoustics but I still had to get loud enough to get over our insane (but great drummer). I couldn't get a volume that got over the drummer without being too boomy and loud for me right next to the cab - whatever I did with the EQ. But that was a unique concurrence of factors. The experience led me to get a DXR10 for more clarity.

I would love to have the opportunity to try my rigs direct to the PA with either my 2 x 12 or the DXR10 as my monitor.....but my in-built fear of the unknown....and my experience with sound guys keeps me mic'ing my 2 x 12 for now!

Cheers,
    Andy

• Not at all, it'll just be like using a regular amp, though, with all the pitfalls that come with it. It's happened to me more than once that the sound guy wanted to throw a mic on my cab. An XLR from the main out(s) will ensure that the sound out front is as good as you're used to getting, while the guitar cab connected to the monitor out (either the powered output if you have a powered profiler or via a poweramp) will give you a familiar tone on stage.

If using a 3rd party power amp this utilises both the Main Outs of the KPA, correct? (I have the powered rack so don't know...) Would you be able to feed FOH as well as this 3rd party power amp (as the Main Outs will be in use for the power amp...?!)

Unless; could you use the TS sockets to feed the poweramp AND SIMULTANEOUSLY the XLR sockets to feed FOH ??

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Monitor out is your friend, dude, unless you want to run stereo on stage (and I really don't understand that, but ho hum).

I like options :D

Probably gonna pick up a DXR10 so that's the monitor out taken... Would like the 3rd party power amp to run stereo so would need both TS main outs to that... I believe you can use the XLR main outs simultaneously though! So should be all good.... Just complex singal-levels matching

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack