Aaaargh! I can't decide :)

• I am really making an effort to keep the number of profiles to a minimum, while using that pool of profiles to create my rigs.

The problem is I have too many good profiles!

I have a whole slew of profiles from The Amp Factory and Top Jimi, plus Britt packs 1 and 2 and Vintage and a couple from Soundside. Many of them are so good I want to have instant access to them, but at the same time I want to keep the number down to aid in a faster boot time, make it easier to scroll through, and to just keep my brain from frying :wacko:

Here's what I'm thinking:

I love Fender amps so maybe a Twin, a Pro, a Deluxe, and a Bassman.

I also want to have a good Marshall, Vox, Orange (Andy's Matamp is excellent) Hiwatt (I have the Gilmour Hiwatt), and Divided by 13.

That should cover it, right?

But wait....

Each one of those amps has so many great profiles included with them that I can't decide!
    Ok...how about a clean, clean+, crunch, and OD sound from each....we're up to 36 profiles already! And that's just the 'pool' I want to draw from to create my rigs!

Then on top of that I've got a ton of other great amp profiles from each of those vendors...and then I have to consider that what I choose for my 335 won't necessarily work for my Strat.
    So we could possibly be looking at doubling that number!

Whew! It's a first world problem for sure...any tips? How do you guys deal with profile overload?

Thanks!

• Have you tried Rig Manager?

Yes I use Rig Manager and I like it quite a lot. I have folders set up which arrange profiles by author, guitar, and bands I play with.
    My question is more about how to decide, out of the many fantastic sounding profiles I own, which I should use live. It's really an embarrassment of riches!

Part of my trouble also has to do with the fact that I've spent a few hundred dollar buying commercial profiles and I want to use them! But then of course, if I just choose a few, I can look at it like I spent only a few hundred dollars for a number of great amps so it's a bargain.

Yes this is the approach I should probably take. I think I will decide on a Fender (or 3 because I love them) and a good Marshall for starters. Make some rigs out of those and gig them for a while. That way I've got my basic American and British sounds ready to go. I can just enjoy the other ones at home or while recording for now.

It can really make your head spin...

• It can really make your head spin...

You say it like it's a bad thing. 8o

Seriously, I rather enjoy all the choices, however difficult it makes things sometimes. If I just wanted one sound, I'd probably get an amp. This way, it's like I'm constantly visiting a candy store... :thumbup:

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Hi,

I also had some profiles that I liked and tried to find the best profile for each sound. I noticed quite fast that this is maybe not the best approach. The profiles sounded to different and to me. it didn't feel good to switch between a Marshall sound in the verse and a rectifier in the chorus.
    That may be a very subjective view, but I think a gig should have a consistent sound. Otherwise it gets confusing and you can't deliver YOUR unique sound.

So I chose one amp for clean and one for distorted sounds. Then I saved the distorted amp with different gain settings. Now I have a consistent sound in some variations. To me this feels more like using a real amp.
    (I even play in a coverband and don't think every song needs a different amp to match the recording).
    This, of course, is just my personal opinion :)

Regards,
    LH

• I use only 2 amps live JCM800 from the Marshall pack by TAF and the 2 Rock for clean from TAF pack 2. I sorted my profiles out by playing for 5 seconds but if they didn't make me go WOW straight away I didn't use them. The 2 I use live are my all time favourite and I'm not changing (for the moment) :) I too have so many great profiles I own everything Andy does and in my studio I know what will work 99% of the time. I Feel profile saturated also, but that is the great thing about the kemper, every amp you ever want whenever you want :)

• my 2cts :

I think it depends on what you play live but lots of folks here use a single amp profile for live, on maybe 3/4 presets. Too much choice options are great but a simple live setup is mandatory for me. I have a jazz gig next month and will only rely on one single profile (18W brit amp), I won't even take my FCB, I'm ok with just my guitar vol. pot for rhythm and lead parts, it sounds so good.

Another approach is to get some song related banks, to get different tones on each song in order not to bore the audience with the same tone ever and ever, but that means lots of setup before the gig. This is what I would use for a cover band.

Recording wise, it's totally different, you can use dozens of rigs on a single track, since you can swap guitars that fit their own parts and amps, it's time to use your commercial collection then.

• That may be a very subjective view, but I think a gig should have a consistent sound.

So I chose one amp for clean and one for distorted sounds. Then I saved the distorted amp with different gain settings. Now I have a consistent sound in some variations. To me this feels more like using a real amp.
    (I even play in a coverband and don't think every song needs a different amp to match the recording).

Words of wisdom here, guys.
    When playing out or with others restrict yourself and find a place in the arrangement and sonic spectrum.

• This is exactly what I failed to remember to convey in my first post :)

• Thanks for the responses guys...lots of good ideas here.

I think with my original bands I will use just a handful of profiles to keep things simple and consistent. As a few have mentioned it's important to be able to deliver my sound.
    My tube amp is a 73 Pro Reverb and I've been using only that amp for years. With the M Britt Vintage pack I'll use the 66 Pro Reverb which sounds incredibly close. I'll also
    probably use a Marshall of some sort and the 68 Matamp from The Amp Factory...I just love that amp...so dark and vintage and juicy lol.

When I play covers (mostly in my wedding band) I really want to nail the tones of the songs as closely as possible, so with that in mind I may end up using more profiles. But in
    reality it probably won't be too many more - I could probably cover most of what I need with the amps I listed above.

And I'll probably leave the Morgan AC20 on there because it's such a GREAT profile for my Strat, and it was the first profile (before I purchased any commercial profiles) that absolutely blew my mind.

• Here is my idea: Choose your 10 best rigs and send all others to me. Then never take a look at the RM and all those excellent profile sellers. This will solve all your problems. You din't have to make new decisions and i am happy with all your other rigs :D

• And then the remote, so you can get the right profile for each individual chord... Good way to combat muddiness :)

Honestly I speak the truth.. - I did a gig at Wembely Stadium.. - Little did they know.. I WAS THE ONE on the field.. My audience was on the stage. - yes.. But for me to use my 2000 Profiles per song, I daisy chained 500 Remotes together, and ran up and down the field all night! : )

To the OP: - Sorry for being silly in your Thread.

For helping you, I think you are on the right page, just use the same rig (per song) at different variations per each section. - but one thing I'd like to point out.. - Us guitar players are often adamant of what we want before we even know it.. - But actually sometimes at rehearsal, its better to NOT LOOK at the names of the amps.. - Scroll through till you hit the jackpot. - and you never know, it may surprise you. - if your band mates are cool, (they should be, apart from the drummer obv) - then they will happily play set pieces so you can sort it out, after-all, its in there interest for you to sound great... right?

I wish you well. and good luck with it!. it does not matter what profiles you use (obv, I'd be happier if they were mine, ha!) - But seriously, don't worry, just scroll, play & Smile!

• I'd say: let your GAS work for you for once :D

Choose 1-2 amps and a bunch of profiles from those. Delete all the rest.
    It will be as if you bought the real amps.

Now, after 1-3 months your GAS will push you to buy new amps. "Sell" (delete) the ones you're using and buy the new toys.

Repeat.

PS: it might seem a TIC post, but I'm definitely serious LOL

• Well tomorrow is the Kemper's debut live performance!

I have chosen a Fender Deluxe for my clean sound, a different profile of the same amp for my crunch, the same crunchy profile plus the green scream for one lead sound, and a Marshall for an even higher gain lead sound.

The Stomp section has a compressor, green scream, tremolo, and phaser loaded up in that order. The Mod section has a chorus. Nothing in the X slot for now. I'll probably put the pure boost in there.

I hope it sounds good in a mix context....I haven't tried it yet so we'll see. I'm sure it will take a bit of tweaking but that's ok.

I'm excited....wish me luck!

I'll report back after the gig.