Direct profile too noisy error

• Attempted to profile my framus cobra head today using a countryman 85 di. New battery in countryman as i would need to add my audio interface to send phantom power to it instead. I get a low signal detected error until i turn the effects return level up to -0.4. At that point the error changes to a too noisy error. Any thoughts? Thanks Signal chain:
    guitar--> kemper front input.
    Kemper effects send --> framus cobra input
    framus speaker out --> countryman input (speaker toggle selected)(2 choices, pickup or speaker)
    countryman amp output --> 4x12 speaker cab
    countryman di output --> kemper effects

• Right I've looked up this Di box to make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary with it.

If you are doing a Direct Amp profile, as in Pre and Power amp profiled together to completely mimic your head using your Kemper powerhead or Kemper unpowered through a solid state power amp and cab I believe you should be setting up your chain like this:

1. Guitar --> Kemper Front Input
    2. Kemper DIRECT SEND OUTPUT --> Framus Cobra Input
    3. Framus Speaker Output --> Countryman DI Box Input (INSTRUMENT Input and Speaker Setting selected on switch)
    5. Countryman DI Box AMP output --> 4X12 cabinet
    6. Countryman DI XLR Output --> Kemper XLR Return

I believe this is what your are telling us but just to clarify.

Use the return level on the Kemper once in profile mode to set the level of the signal into the Kemper trying to keep it going no louder than the odd hit into the yellow on the output LED if turning down the return input on the Kemper doesn't help use a pad setting on your DI (if you have the 85S version, it appears the standard 85 doesn't have the -15 and -30 pad options) till you find a decent level that isn't overloading the Kemper.

As for the noise if this is still an issue after setting up like I explained, first try engaging the Ground Lift on your DI box, if it is still a little noisy and won't profile try engaging another ground lift on the back of the Kemper (I'm sure the manual says as a last resort use the ground lift on the direct send last, use the others on the Kemper first).

I'm pretty certain using a ground lift or two with sort your issue.

Failing that the only other situation I've saw this happen is on extreme high gain amps with the gain approaching 10, but we are talking the amount of gain that I believe should never ever be used or needed.

• Thank you Liam! I will try that this afternoon and post my findings. Your detailed signal chain matches my setup, the grounding is prob the issue. Do you have an ideal way to monitor the results immediately after profilng before refinement step? I was using headphones but obviously it sounds terrible without a cab in the chain.

• Sorry for the long delay. So the problem was in fact the ground switch on the DI box itself. End results are pretty amazing. Exceeded my somewhat low expectations and I'm very impressed with how it profiled the preamp and power sections of my cobra head. With a little tweaking after, it sounds crushing thru my greenback 4x12. Thanks for the help. I did profile it with a maxon OD808 in front, so my next test is to profile it dry and run the maxon thru the loop of the kemper placing it in front of the amp block to a/b the two tones. And then try the built in green scream. Should be fun!!

• Exactly what I was looking for! Awesome! :) the only thing I'm curious is what cables to use from amp output into countryman and from countryman into can? Speaker ones, right?

Thanks!