Kemper set up

• hello all

I am completely new to the Kemper and just wanted some advise on a set up, i understand its not really compatible with a guitar amp i have a Hiwatt
    I want to use the Kemper with my PC will I need good monitor speakers or can i use my PC speakers ? and any info on recording via PC
    will the Kemper be a good setup for guitar via my PC ??

cheers
    steven

• Hi Steven,

Why do you say that the KPA is not "compatible" with your HiWatt? What model HiWatt do you own? If it has an FX loop, then you can plug your KPA into the HiWatt's FX Return, and then you would be using the HiWatt's power section, bypassing it's preamp and tone stack. It would be similar to connecting your KPA to an external power amp, and then to a speaker cabinet.

So, to recap:

Guitar signal ===> KPA input ===> KPA Monitor Output jack ==> HiWatt FX Return ===> HiWatt speaker out ===> Guitar Cabinet

Cheers,
    John

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• hello John thank you for your response

i've not yet purchased the KPA as am looking into it yes its looks great I am a big floyd fan and love some of the tones i've seen the KPA can do
    i've just downloaded the manual and its all in there :) and yes your right i could use my Hiwatt but its bloody loud :) so was thinking of going down the monitors route ?

• hello John thank you for your response

i've not yet purchased the KPA as am looking into it yes its looks great I am a big floyd fan and love some of the tones i've seen the KPA can do
    i've just downloaded the manual and its all in there :) and yes your right i could use my Hiwatt but its bloody loud :) so was thinking of going down the monitors route ?

Steven,

It will only be as loud as the signal you send to the HiWatt's power section...which would be controlled by the KPA's master volume. The KPA's Monitor Output (Output menu) also features an independent volume control as well as a EQ.

So, you can play as quietly as you like, simply by controlling volume on the KPA.

With that said...the KPA is designed for use with FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) monitors. So, for the non-powered KPA models, I would be pretty confident in stating that the majority of owners connect their KPA to an active (powered) monitor.

Cheers,
    John

• great John thank you for the info i will look into the monitors as i might be selling the hiwatt in fav of the monitors

cheers
    steven

• Hello Steven,
    consider that the Profiler always sounds good, but it will certainly sound better with a good pair of active cabs. Do not save on those!
    Through your PC speakers it will sound like your favourite records through them... or worse ;)
    If you buy good monitors you'll be able to use them with your PC as well, improving the overall playback quality of your homestudio.

:)

• Hello Viabcroce ..yes I am looking into monitors i've been looking at KRK Rokit 5 G2 Studio Monitors as i am on a budget.. the KPA going to break the bank lol
    and seen the TANNOY REVEAL 402's Monitors on youtube with the Kemper and they sounded really good ?? ive been looking for David Gilmour/pink floyd profiles
    on rig exchange but cant find any i've read some comments saying they are on there any ideas ??

cheers
    steven

• Hello Viabcroce ..yes I am looking into monitors i've been looking at KRK Rokit 5 G2 Studio Monitors as i am on a budget.. the KPA going to break the bank lol
    and seen the TANNOY REVEAL 402's Monitors on youtube with the Kemper and they sounded really good ?? ive been looking for David Gilmour/pink floyd profiles
    on rig exchange but cant find any i've read some comments saying they are on there any ideas ??

cheers
    steven

Hi Steven,

When you are on Rig Exchange, try putting just the word "Gilmour" in the search box, and make sure all the toggle boxes are checked. Hit "Search" button, and you should get sixteen (16) rig/profiles. There are a few good ones by And44 and Burningyen.

Also, check out this Kemper YouTube Tutorial. Jump to time stamp 03:20

The rig used for this tutorial is located in the Kemper website ==> Support ==> Downloads ===>Additional Factory Rigs:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html
    The factory rig package you will find this in is entitled "Profiler Workshop Rig Pack incl. Handout". The filename of the profile is "PW-Wall - 2014-11-07 11-21-10.kipr"

Cheers,
    John

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• TANNOY REVEAL 402's Monitors

I've got a pair of these and they work great for what I need them to do. Mind you, I'm not a sonic corksniffer so I can't give you all the praise lingo but the pricetag and the recommendation from Pete Thorn were enough for me. :thumbup:

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Like I said, I like them for what they are and at the asking price. They are small, not too loud and sound pretty good to me, both for Kemper and general music listening.

Mind you, I'm running them in my living room, with all sorts of other things going on at the same time. I don't know how they'd perform in a dedicated studio, a treated room or any kind of music-dedicated environment. That said, I don't think Pete Thorn (whose taste and ear I respect a whole lot) would be putting in a good word for things that are squarely in the POS category. ;)

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Sorry to hi jack the thread....but: (stupid question, probably) if i use my kemper with my computer loudspeakers only can they be damaged? haven't got a an active box right now, but over my mac speakers it sounds perfectly fine for now (of course a box is needed soon for proper sound)....thanks!!

• Sorry to hi jack the thread....but: (stupid question, probably) if i use my kemper with my computer loudspeakers only can they be damaged? haven't got a an active box right now, but over my mac speakers it sounds perfectly fine for now (of course a box is needed soon for proper sound)....thanks!!

Hi Leppard,

What do you mean by "active box"?? Do you mean to say that you need to get an active monitor?

As long as you are connecting your KPA via Monitor (or Main) output jack, to your desktop computer speakers, then everything is fine. Your desktop computer speakers/monitors are amplifying the input signal from the KPA.