How can i get this tone: Joe Satriani - Flying In A Blue Dream

• Hi Kempers,
    for many days i'v been searching, tweaking and patching profiles to get that solo-tone:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Does anyone knows a profile or adjustment to get that impressive sound?
    I know, there are real cabs and he is doing biamping and pedal stuff but i only want is the nearest with the Kemper.
    Thank you in advance for some helpful hints.
    Greets
    Harald

• Well actually, I think a lot of his sound is down to the pick ups and the guitar. I have a JS1000 and almost any high gain profile gets me right in the ball park of the sound on the clip. The studio version of that track is a little more special, I reckon. It's the sound of a DS1 into a Marshall stack.

• Shure, the picks and the guitar always makes the difference but i'm not able to get near it.
    Just searched in the web and learned that the JS1000 has a Dimarzio PAF.
    I believe i have one from the 70's and will give it a try in a Les Paul...

• Well actually, I think a lot of his sound is down to the pick ups and the guitar. I have a JS1000 and almost any high gain profile gets me right in the ball park of the sound on the clip. The studio version of that track is a little more special, I reckon. It's the sound of a DS1 into a Marshall stack.

Shure, the picks and the guitar always makes the difference but i'm not able to get near it.
    Just searched in the web and learned that the JS1000 has a Dimarzio PAF.
    I believe i have one from the 70's and will give it a try in a Les Paul...

Sambrox is right. But i think it's difficult to get the sound with a Les Paul. I play Ibanez Jems, a music man Petrucci and Les Pauls. Best choice for a Satch sound is my old Ibanez jem fp 77 from 1991. This beauty has the ibanez pafs. It also sounds good with evolution pick ups from Ibanez (i am a fan of Steve Vais sounds).
    I have just uploaded a rig for you on the RE. Its called "Blue Dream". ;) It,s made by a free profile of Joes JVM410HJS.
    I have heard it live last year in Münster/Germany. There he played the Marshall amps.
    Maybe you have to tweak the eq because i fitted it to sound good with my frfr.

Try it and let me hear.....
    Have fun

• Hi Jupp,
    thank you for sharing this rig! It is better than those i've tried yet. EQ is not that problem, because i'm using FRFR too.
    Normally i'm playing a Strat (i know Satriani-Sound with single coils is an impossible mission) and i will try with a
    Suhr FL Bridge PU.
    Greets Harald

• MacOSatch: When i look at your forum-name, i could imagine that you are a Satriani-Fan.
    So what profile do you use?

Yes, I am a fan :) But I did not chase the tone of other people. I set my Kemper conservative way, clean/crunch/rhythm/lead for my band project. Satriani songs I play only at home and for this I use some Marshall JVM JS or Soldano profiles, not to much gain, delay, that is it.

• So here's a clip of me playing the first "verse" of Flying in a Blue Dream using the aforementioned BLUE DREAM Rig from the rig exchange. I haven't played this stuff for years, haha! for what it's worth, I found the Rig to be a bit nasally in the mids, but once I turned the Cabs off, it sounded much closer to Joe's tone (although I didn't record that; the clip is the Rig untouched :) )

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Did you record it with a smartphone? Unfortunately there is'nt much that remains by loosing sound
    through smartphone mic and the other end with listening to youtube video. But never the less i'm
    wondering that the sound is thin although you are using humbuckers.
    Anyway, thanks for trying this...

• What's up? Are you moving?
    Oh, XLR'S. What is your opinion to XLR against phone-jacks. Does it really matter in relation to sound?
    No, right? I thaught it is only to prevent from noises.

• What's up? Are you moving?
    Oh, XLR'S. What is your opinion to XLR against phone-jacks. Does it really matter in relation to sound?
    No, right? I thaught it is only to prevent from noises.

Well, I got rid of my studio space for the time being, as my studio at work I can pretty much use whenever I like anyway (I'm a sound designer/engineer) and the rent was getting pretty steep. I'm hoping to have a new place sometime in the autumn.
    As for XLRs v jacks, the question really should be XLR/TRS v TS, or to put it another way, balanced v unbalanced. If you don't know what a balanced cable means, I suggest reading up on it (too much to go into here), but basically it means less noise. So always XLR/TRS, if possible! Actually, I'm not sure if the jack sockets on the KPA accommodate TRS jacks in their balanced function, although I DID just use them to make this :

https://soundcloud.com/sambrox…dream-kemper-test/s-KiL9s

:D

Hope that's easier to get an impression of the profile from!

Disclaimer : I never learned the tab, so my attempt at the solo is me just blagging it!

• Hello Harald,

Andy from The Amp Factory did very good profiles of Joe Satrianis Signature Marshall (a modded 800) amp. You can buy it as a single amp, it´s in Bundle 3 (click here) , it´s named "UKGold Satriani Signature" and sound like killer! You can listen to some samples at Andys website.

I´ve bought these profiles some time ago and they belong since then to my main lead sounds (they are working way better for me than the MBritt sounds) - with my Ibanez RG (modded DiMarzios) it´s the nearest possible sound to Joe.

Play it like you mean it.

• sam:
    Thank you so much. You never learned the tab? So you are a natural talent. This was a very good one...
    I wish you all the best for your studio future. I listened to your demo reel and i was impressed.
    You are doing great jobs.

• WS:
    Thanks for the link. I just purchased the "UKGold Satriani Signature" but i was a bit dissapointed.
    It is all a bit muffy and i think i have to tweak it to my needs.
    But i also purchased the "Friedman BrowEye Amplifier" from there and that's amazing!

• sam:
    Thank you so much. You never learned the tab? So you are a natural talent. This was a very good one...

Haha thanks :D

I wish you all the best for your studio future. I listened to your demo reel and i was impressed.
    You are doing great jobs.

Thanks again! It's not often that I actually get to play my guitar on the kind of stuff that people book me for, and the budgets are getting smaller and smaller while the deadlines get ever tighter, but I try my best with what I've got ;)

• I also can't found the Rig "blue dream". But if you're searching for "Satriani", you can find some great Marshall Profiles from Tony McKenzie.

Or just type "tonymckenzie" into the search bar in Rig Exchange and you find a lot of really cool sounding profiles from Tony.

Maybe you can match the sound with the "JVM410HJS od1 red sh" profile.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

Edited once, last by Bakersounds ().

• It’s actually fairly easy to tweak a Satch-esque sound out of a high gain profile. I recorded this with an MBritt profile that I turned up the treble on :

External Content youtu.be