Line 6 Helix - next gen guitarist's wet dream..?

• Agreed, the cleans and bass sounds are good and crisp.

Heavy guitars are not good for me as is so far.

I have mixed feelings. I don't dislike them, but they still feel too overprocessed...and while I could stand them in a mix, when playing by myself I wanna see the raw, visceral dirt of my tone ;)

• That one rhythm guitar was at least mixed terribly. All buzzy. Impossible to know if the tone is worth a darn with that eq. Everything else sounded nice, but all line 6 demos sound fairly polished but it can be different trying to dial them in. Id def like to give it a try but at the price it wont happen for some time. Still overall i think their street price can make things a bit more competitive and hopefully their quality is overall greatly improved

• That one rhythm guitar was at least mixed terribly. All buzzy. Impossible to know if the tone is worth a darn with that eq. Everything else sounded nice, but all line 6 demos sound fairly polished but it can be different trying to dial them in. Id def like to give it a try but at the price it wont happen for some time. Still overall i think their street price can make things a bit more competitive and hopefully their quality is overall greatly improved

Yep, it's the old that supermodel looks great on the cover of that magazine but she don't look that nice without all the makeup and photoshop work. Fact!

• Yeah, the Theta Pro sounds spot-on for those '80s clean chorussed sounds.

I must say, and I've only heard that demo where that chap was in the factory as he'd been invited over to programme presets, that the 4-voice chorus is absolutely to die for. I'd give almost anything to be able to have that in the Kemper.

• I really think that the Kemper gives a better "feel" when you're playing the kind of stuff I do. :)

You know, at home, late at night after watching something like "From Dusk Till Dawn" or "The Twilight Zone"... 1 single malt, a little water no ice... Add an FRFR Kemper, Foot controller LP or Strat.

The perfect mix. Who needs more hype/complexity? Unless of course, your life blood depends on it... :huh:

S-J

• the Hyper Chorus is a 6-voice chorus. with the amount parameter you can scale it down to 4 if that's more to your liking ;)

TBH, I really don't dig, like, any of the KPA effects. And the chorus is not even close to what I hear in the ISP demo.
    Damn it, I use a Strymon Ola, and even then I am impressed by the Theta Pro chorus.

• the Hyper Chorus is a 6-voice chorus. with the amount parameter you can scale it down to 4 if that's more to your liking ;)

Jeez you guys, let's keep the Kemper simple!

What it can do well is capture the soul of the tube/valve amplifier. That's what this genie is really for.
    What's wrong with connecting a few effects pedals etc.? I don't understand why you wanna confuse the genie in the bottle by adding so many "fashionable" new fangled back-door man type effects (please excuse me, I've been workin' from 7 to 11 every night since I've been lovin'... ;) )...
    I'll get my coat ...

S-J

I know, Don. Thank you.

My DP/4 (I owned several over the years, starting in the early '90s), had an 8-voice chorus. The number of voices is not the point. All I'm saying is that that chorus' sound in the demo I heard was to die for. It was seriously good, and easily the best I've heard on clean guitar in a long while, possibly ever.

It's obviously all in the algorithm. There's nothing wrong with the Kemper's chorus, or any of its effects, for that matter. I've extolled its virtues in this regard many times to many people, saying that they're universally of very high quality and are eminently useable.

That Theta Pro's chorus is truly something special 'though, and I don't think there's any denying this.

• So agree with Monkey Man. That chorus sounds freaking amazing. And in general the Theta Pro seems like a unit that on one hand will be very limited in features, but on the other hand will really stand out on those. I'm even kind of sorry for them that - expecially with the Helix coming out at the same time - nobody seems to give half a fuck :D

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and preordered an Helix. It will be available end of September, and I made a deal with the shop that I can test it for two weeks and - should I not like it - return it paying only 25 euros for shipping it back. Seems fairly safe.

Of course we will all know that ultimately I'll succumb to GAS and keep it :P

• what do you guys think of the new video? It's got all kinds of tones... I'm a believer in Line 6 effects, but I haven't heard anything that matches Kemper in terms of authentic, genuine tones - just wish the Kemper had a footcontroller as nice as the Helix and their effects - love that fuzz at the end:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hmm nothing rocking my boat on there. The cleans sound cool enough but the drives are lacking something. They sound like someone playing a modeller; I can't close my eyes and see the amp, like I can when I watch TAF vids or Axe demos (the rarer lower gain demos, that is).

• Hmm nothing rocking my boat on there. The cleans sound cool enough but the drives are lacking something. They sound like someone playing a modeller; I can't close my eyes and see the amp, like I can when I watch TAF vids or Axe demos (the rarer lower gain demos, that is).

Right on the money there bro

• PAHAHA - same old Line6 -- that 'drop something' patch sounded awful to me, and extremely sterile....

Shiney foot controller it is...!!

That fuzz at the end was quite nice though

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack