Line 6 Helix - next gen guitarist's wet dream..?

• They didn't well demonstrate the dynamics of any of the tones, all were at a mostly flat input level. IMHO the best thing about the Kemper is its unreal dynamics and touch response, and the Helix tones I've heard so far are no competition at all. In fact the Deluxe mid gain tone had some of the Line 6 HD treble sizzle. I haven't heard anything from the Helix so far you couldn't get from a HD500.

• PAHAHA - same old Line6 -- that 'drop something' patch sounded awful to me, and extremely sterile....

Shiney foot controller it is...!!

That fuzz at the end was quite nice though

Yeah, apart from the fuzz tone (there was another good example in a nice Hendrix-style clip), there is nothing yet to make me rush to buy one.

• Probably already been mentioned in this thread...(I know its def been mentioned in other threads) but if not

Imagine a floorboard kemper with expression pedal that only stores profiles.....hopefully this might be an idea now with the Helix coming out ;)

• It sounds great to me. I'm probably going to sell my Kemper and get a Helix, because I still mostly use a real amp for recording and live performance. I only use the Kemper for late night headphone playing.

And I could really do with the live workflow side of things with the Helix. It's much more versatile than the Kemper imho, even *if* the amp modelling isn't quite as good - which no one can say for sure right now, but my gut feel is that it isn't true.

• It sounds great to me. I'm probably going to sell my Kemper and get a Helix, because I still mostly use a real amp for recording and live performance. I only use the Kemper for late night headphone playing.

And I could really do with the live workflow side of things with the Helix. It's much more versatile than the Kemper imho, even *if* the amp modelling isn't quite as good - which no one can say for sure right now, but my gut feel is that it isn't true.

DNF = DO NOT FEED - even if drew_fx's has a valid point. :/

We don't need a troll to find this and drool over the thread - I'm fed up enough of mopping up my dog's saliva - but a troll's - yuck!

S-J

• DNF is the right answer, selling the KPA (only used for "late night headphone playing") because of a Helix-video is an obvious sign of severe "trollism".....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Yeah, sad to see people so religious about guitar gear.

@burningyen Ben, that's really calling the kettle black when I see the phrase "My NEW Pink Floyd TRIBUTE"... Who's God here? ?(

@mbenigni aside from the fact that I don't police the internet, as you so wrongly imply, you are apparently not aware of the painful and detrimental effects of slagging other people's gear off on their own user forum. Where's your sense of decorum Bro? If you want a never-ending, resource draining thread then I've said my piece to deaf ears and I'll get my coat...

I'm so sad... :|
    Goodbye cruel world...
    S-J

you are apparently not aware of the painful and detrimental effects of slagging other people's gear off on their own user forum.

Just for sake of clarity, this is a Helix thread, in the public section of the forum. No one is "slagging off" anything. Drew_fx cites an interest in Helix workflow and - more or less - he's called a troll.

Last time and for the record: I think the KPA is AMAZING, and an incredible value. It's one of the first pieces of gear I recommend to other players, depending on their needs. But there is always room for improvement. Refusing to discuss those opportunities for improvement is a disservice to both Kemper and their customers.

• I'm not a troll, and I have an opinion that is just as valid as yours.

Look at the facts:

The Helix can act as a command centre for your entire live rig. It can also act as an effects unit for your voice as well as your guitar. It can do amp modelling, so if you want to plug directly into the front of house you can. But it can also do 4-cable method and midi switching with your valve amplifier if you wish (that's the route I am thinking about taking!) so even if you're not a modelling guy, you can still utilise it.

The Kemper is great. It really is. I've had a lot of success and fun with it. But it isn't a one stop solution, and for the problems I need to solve, it doesn't really attempt to do it. You can see they're trying to do so with the remote, but as I've got a brilliant amp which I am able to use for 9 out of 10 situations, the Kemper doesn't really get a look in.

I don't feel my comment was off-topic at all. I was attempting to counter the general perception that the tones coming from the Helix so far weren't good - I thought they were pretty decent. I didn't slag off anyone's gear, I didn't slag off anyone's idea of tone, and I didn't slag off the Kemper. I just gave my own reasons for being interested in the Helix.

Given that the Kemper is a high-value item that I own, that I'm not using to it's full potential, why wouldn't I consider flogging it in order to get something that I will use to it's full potential?

I'm not a troll. Stop being so defensive. You're as bad as the Fractal fanbois.

• If you suck, no amount of fancy gear will help! I try to think back to Gene Krupa, ok not a guitarist but... What that man could do with the simplest of kits was stunning to say the least. Whatever gear you like to toy around with is fine, I suppose that's why I like doing sound I get to play with all of it. And very soon I will add the Kemper amp to my toy box. But I realize that the measure of the instrumentalist doesn't lie as much with the gear as with the talent. Only a truly talented artist can make a fine work of art with the most basic equipment.
    personally I fall well short of this category!

• If you suck, no amount of fancy gear will help! I try to think back to Gene Krupa, ok not a guitarist but... What that man could do with the simplest of kits was stunning to say the least. Whatever gear you like to toy around with is fine, I suppose that's why I like doing sound I get to play with all of it. And very soon I will add the Kemper amp to my toy box. But I realize that the measure of the instrumentalist doesn't lie as much with the gear as with the talent. Only a truly talented artist can make a fine work of art with the most basic equipment.
    personally I fall well short of this category!

Me too, but I'm still having fun!

S-J