Satriani tones?

• Anyone had any success yet copying Satch's tones from the first two albums? I've made several attempts to create a rig that gets me in the ballpark but no real luck so far. I know the guitar pickups make a difference (I'm having to make do with the stock Seymour Duncans on my Parallaxe). All the same, I expected I would have been able to get closer by now. I've been using various Marshall profiles, also my Friedman BE go-to profile, along with various stomp boosts (Joe used a DS-1), and I've messed with different cabinet sims. Can't get the slightly honky midrange without overdoing it but maybe that's down to the pickups... Also tried profiles of the Marshall Satriani sig. head but I think it sounds like ass even on Youtube clips I've watched. Stumped as to where to go from here... ||

• By "first two albums" are you meaning Not of this Earth and Surfing with the Alien? On those two albums I don't think he'd settled on a particular set up. I seem to remember him using different amps/preamps on different tracks, as I recall. For example, Always with me was recorded via a preamp (Rockman I think) direct to the desk.

• Check for one called surf alien or something like that. I really like that one. Also check the jvm profile by nigel k. Its a more modern tone but still good. Topjimi has sick plexi profiles - could also start there

Good hint meambobbo :thumbup: , the nigel kay ones are absolutly in the ballpark for satch boogie, but i have to change the cab. I use the Mesa RK 2x12 from deadlightstudios, they have a rectyfier pack with three awesome cabs, the recty , the hesu and a 1960 AV. After purchasing the pack, i am only using this cabs for the most of my rigs (and some from Till Schleichers chimera cabs).

cheers
    Frank

• By "first two albums" are you meaning Not of this Earth and Surfing with the Alien? On those two albums I don't think he'd settled on a particular set up. I seem to remember him using different amps/preamps on different tracks, as I recall. For example, Always with me was recorded via a preamp (Rockman I think) direct to the desk.

I meant Surfing... and Flying...

Frank, I liked your Blue Dream rig, although I ended up swapping out the Marshall profile for a Friedman Browneye. This rig doesn't seem to work so well for Satch's rhythm tones though so I'm still trying to come up with the perfect rig for SWTA. Not sure I've seen the Nigel K profiles so I'll do a search.

• OK, I finally have something I think sounds pretty good. I came up with a rig using Andy Mitchell's Marshall AFD100 and D. Baldringer's Nineteen Sixty 4x12 Black Pack cab, boosted with a DS One stomp for leads, and the delay settings from Frank's Blue Dream rig. By turning off the boost, switching to neck pickup and rolling down my guitar's volume I can get a reasonable imitation of the clean rhythm tones on the intro/outro of The Forgotten Pt. 2, although there's quite a bit of background hiss.

The only thing I'm not happy with now is the chorus stomp I added for some of the lead tones on SWTA (e.g. Crushing Day). Doesn't have the pristine smoothness of the recorded track.

My guitar is an ebony necked Washburn Parallaxe with a Bill Lawrence L500-XL in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck.

• Haha true. But the DS-1 by nature has a "boosted" nature even with tone turned down. Then turn down bass on the amp and you get that tight but rough distortion with an overall bright, upper midsy flavor.

I stand corrected - you clearly know this box much better than I do.
    (one of the first things I did to my DS-1 was to mod it into a sick fuzz) ;)

• Check out Tony McKenzie , Satriani Marshal Profile, it used to be free profile on RE ....
    but then you need the right guitar /pick ups ..a little bit of compressor for making sustain/feedback etc..
    He (Tony) was one of the first guys , if not the first who put Dumble (ok, clone) on RE , but still sound fantastic .
    Tony's profiles are probably the most underrated ones on RE ....and my favourites for certain songs....
    good luck !

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Or it was another source ,different than RE ? I am not sure ...I know I have them all from Tony ,on my Kemper....(anyone help ? )
    I like him , he was one of the first Internet warrior , debunking axe artificial ,plastic tone at the time, versus organic Kemper sounds .
    Stupid and arrogant axe owner insulted Tony on primitive and rude way ....
    Very ugly episode from ugly axe history ....

Now they learned things or two and keep quiet,while stopped insulting people .
    But , I will never forget that ugly episode and never buy axe even if someone give it to me for free .
    Not because of axe, but because of stupid arrogance ...no one can tell such a things to anyone ,it is bellow human kind standards ...

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)