Should I get a Kemper if I don't own amps to profile?

• I've tried searching for the answer to this but, it looks as if most people buy kemper to profile there own rig. Simple question, should I still buy a kemper if I don't have amps to profile with it? Are the free / premium($$) sounds good enough to warrant the money? I'm looking at kemper for the options of multiple amps and effects without owning multiple amps and effects for both live and recording/home use. Additionally a friend of mine lives 8 hours away and we intend to collaborate on tracks online. He is also debating selling his amps to geta s kemper. We have a lot of the same gear and it would be nice to record and have the same or really close to the same tones. I would trade in my current amps and pedals in order to purchase the kemper so I would no longer be able to use those for modeling. Any insight would be greatly appreciated prior to pulling the trigger on the kemper. The store I was going to be purchasing through said they were back ordered until June 26th so I have a few days before I really make my decision. Thanks

• Simple answer: Yes.

Many Owners never profiled an amp.
    Many don't use the profiles the made.
    There are a lot of good free profiles available.
    Just because it was profiled by yourself won't make the rig better than all the ones available.

• I didn't have any amps to profile when I purchased the Kemper. You can find many awesome free rigs out there and also some amazing paid ones too.

What you could do is get the profiler, profile his amp setup which is similiar to yours, then he can get a Kemper. You can both share the profiles you made of his setup.

Sorry if this response is a mess... still waking up on Monday sans coffee.. :)

• You cannot go wrong with Kemper. There are thousands of awesome`n`free profiles in RigExchange (Profiles to buy are also awesome, but you don`t need, if you have not the money(but most are also worth for buying... :thumbup: )).
    For myself, I`ve never profiled any amp, I come from Vox Tonelab and "profiled" my favours first time I recieved KPA. A few days later I deleated them ( not `cause bad profiled, but no need for anymore...

• Yes, and that's coming from a guy who bought the Kemper to profile his own amps.

There are so many amazing profiles in the Exchange that the Kemper is a bargain at twice the price (10x even!).

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Awesome, thanks for the responses. I am going to go for it! Now I have to decide on powered vs non powered and rack vs lunchbox! So many options. I like the white so I'm thinking lunchbox non powered and an active FRFR down the road a little bit.

• Yes of course. The kemper has no limitation on amp models like other modeller.

This. If you buy any other modeler, you are limited to whatever amp models the manufacturer provides to you. If there is an amp model you want but isn't provided, you have to beg/wait/hope the manufacturer adds the model. But with the Kemper, you can usually find about most any amp made already profiled.

There are tons of free profiles I would be happy with, but I am now mostly stuck on a profile I made of my favorite amp, a Dumble clone. It is very cool to be able to clone the essence of a killer amp if you can get your hands on it for say 1/2 hour.

Not to mention that the Kemper just sounds and responds so incredibly good. It's worth the money for that alone.

I do think that Kemper could make a killing if they released a lower cost profile player with no profiling capabilities. If they could get the profile only player under $1k US, and perhaps in a stompbox format, they would kill most every other modeler on the market.

• Awesome, thanks for the responses. I am going to go for it! Now I have to decide on powered vs non powered and rack vs lunchbox! So many options. I like the white so I'm thinking lunchbox non powered and an active FRFR down the road a little bit.

That's a good decision. If you decide you want a poweramp later on you can still install a Camplifier retrofit.

• I have got a couple of nice amps but used mainly for touring (don't do much of that these days)
    When I record, which is all the time I don't want to have to mic up constantly.
    Before I got the KPA it was Line 6 gear (much maligned in certain quarters but you CAN get a decent sound if you put the work in)
    With the Kemper, as said by others, it's all there in front of you.
    You still have to work a bit to get the sounds you want but it's a LOT easier than Pod HD or whatever.

Go on, get one...

• Buy the Kemper and you'll never need to buy an amp again... ever.

This was my thought process while getting a Kemper.

I never bought an amp again. :thumbup:

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• +1 on don't need amps to get one... Selling my Mark V cause I never turn the thing on any more and I haven't even got around to profiling it, to many great tones roar out of my green toaster!!!