Several feature requests

• I'm a relatively new user to the Kemper (had it for a couple weeks now), and there are three things that really bother me, and would like to see improvements on:

• I'd like to be able to put another delay somewhere else. The delay slot is great, and there's some great options (though I don't really understand why "tap delay" is different than the other delays...), but for the "ambient" users of the world, having a second delay (or heck, a second reverb, since we're talking feature requests here) would be fantastic for the X or Mod slot. No need for a series/parallel/mix balancing, just have it straight up in series, and in mono, like any other "pedal" would be.
    • And since we're on the topic of delays and reverbs - improved reverbs! I get that it's an "amp machine" and not an "effects machine," but I find the reverbs in the Kemper extremely lacking, especially for ambient sounds. The "ambient" patches are pretty poor, at best. I would really like to see some Strymon-esque shimmer reverbs in this thing. Some ambient-style "shimmer" or "ice" delays with harmonies would be nice too. I know the Kemper has the capability of handling this for sure.
    • Finally, MIDI reshuffling in the performance mode. I currently have a controller that has 4 patches per bank (program change 1-4, next bank has program changes 5-8, etc.). Performance mode gives you 5 patches, which means that, for the second song, I have to use Bank 2, patches 2, 3, and 4, and Bank 3, patches 1 and 2. This is rather inconvenient. It would be nice to either say "I want only 4 patches per performance," or have the Kemper notice that, if a performance channel is empty, assign the next assigned one to the next available program change #. This would mean Song 1, if only using 4 of the 5 patches, would occupy program change 1-4, like normal. It would pick up at program change 5 on song 2. Optionally, be able to adjust, per patch, like you can in browse mode, what the MIDI program change is for it.

And while we're at it, editing rigs in performance mode is incredibly tedious. I know it's not on the roadmap, but it would be nice to have a desktop app to easily set up songs in performance mode. Doesn't even need to configure everything - just let me name things and assign rigs to individual patches and shuffle them around. I'm a software developer myself - I know it's not an easy task to just "write an application," but this would seriously escalate the Kemper to the next level to be able to set up songs in 5 minutes instead of 20.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• I'm a relatively new user to the Kemper (had it for a couple weeks now), and there are three things that really bother me, and would like to see improvements on:
    I'd like to be able to put another delay somewhere else. The delay slot is great, and there's some great options (though I don't really understand why "tap delay" is different than the other delays...), but for the "ambient" users of the world, having a second delay (or heck, a second reverb, since we're talking feature requests here) would be fantastic for the X or Mod slot. No need for a series/parallel/mix balancing, just have it straight up in series, and in mono, like any other "pedal" would be.

On the subject of a second reverb, have you tried the Space stomp? It's a room emulation, so might be a little on the short side for ambient stuff, but used in conjunction with the other reverb, it might give you good results. Delay stomp has been sorely missed by many users for years.

And since we're on the topic of delays and reverbs - improved reverbs! I get that it's an "amp machine" and not an "effects machine," but I find the reverbs in the Kemper extremely lacking, especially for ambient sounds. The "ambient" patches are pretty poor, at best. I would really like to see some Strymon-esque shimmer reverbs in this thing. Some ambient-style "shimmer" or "ice" delays with harmonies would be nice too. I know the Kemper has the capability of handling this for sure.

This is another often requested feature. I don't use stuff like this generally, but what the heck +1

Finally, MIDI reshuffling in the performance mode. I currently have a controller that has 4 patches per bank (program change 1-4, next bank has program changes 5-8, etc.). Performance mode gives you 5 patches, which means that, for the second song, I have to use Bank 2, patches 2, 3, and 4, and Bank 3, patches 1 and 2. This is rather inconvenient. It would be nice to either say "I want only 4 patches per performance," or have the Kemper notice that, if a performance channel is empty, assign the next assigned one to the next available program change #. This would mean Song 1, if only using 4 of the 5 patches, would occupy program change 1-4, like normal. It would pick up at program change 5 on song 2. Optionally, be able to adjust, per patch, like you can in browse mode, what the MIDI program change is for it.

I'm not sure I quite get you here. Can your controller not be programmed to bank up and down, but only to go up or down one slot at a time? Can you set up your performances so you only use 4 slots? Leave the last slot inactive, maybe that can remedy your immediate problem..?

And while we're at it, editing rigs in performance mode is incredibly tedious. I know it's not on the roadmap, but it would be nice to have a desktop app to easily set up songs in performance mode. Doesn't even need to configure everything - just let me name things and assign rigs to individual patches and shuffle them around. I'm a software developer myself - I know it's not an easy task to just "write an application," but this would seriously escalate the Kemper to the next level to be able to set up songs in 5 minutes instead of 20.

I believe it has been stated that this functionality will be coming in the next update of Rig Manager :)

Edited 4 times, last by sambrox ().

• The "space" stomp is a little closer, but it's weak for creating synth pad-like sounds. It's what I'm using for now, until I purchase a BigSky or the Kemper's updated. I would rather the latter so I'd have less on the pedalboard :) And thanks for the +1 on the reverb/delay topic.

---

To reiterate on the controller/MIDI thing, my controller is arranged in groups of 4 patches per bank. Let's call them 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d for bank 1, and for bank 2, 2a, 2b, 2c, and 2d, and the pattern continues up to bank 32 (giving 128 program changes). The program changes on the controller are sequential and cannot be adjusted to send anything different than what's built in. The Kemper's performance mode has 5 patches per song/performance. Those are triggered by MIDI program change 1-5 for the first song, 6-10 for the second song, and so forth.

If I configure song 1 to use all 5 patches, that means I have to bank up, select 2a, and potentially bank back down when done just for control purposes. For song 2, it now awkwardly starts on 2b, going up to 3b. That means a lot of bank switching. For song 3, it would be 3c-4c. Also, a lot of bank switching.

From what I can see, there's no way to tell performance mode that, if I wanted to not use one of the performance patches, to skip or reassign that missing program change. For example, if I didn't use the 5th patch on song 1, program change 5 just doesn't do anything, and song 2 starts with program change 6.

Not all controllers are 5 button. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even make sense, since the MIDI program changes are based on base 2 math anyway. It would be great to say "my controller only has 4 buttons, only utilize patches 1-4," which would give song 1 program changes 1-4, and song 2 program changes 5-8. An alternative would be to "compress" the performances, so that if a patch is empty, the next filled patch (whether that's the next song, or there's just an empty patch in the middle) would pick up from the next available program change number. And, the final alternative (and probably the best) would be the ability to just manually assign what program change the patches of each performance reside on, like you can for the full rigs in Browse mode.

---

Finally, on the note of Rig Manager... holy crap yes.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack