Any plans for a Kemper 2 amp?

• The Kemper amp has been out for a while. Was wondering if there are plans, or maybe it's already in the process of coming out with a 2nd model version of the profiling amp? i.e. redesign and/or hardware upgrade?

I know things like the Axe-FX come out with hardware upgrades/redesign every so often. I figured it was about time a new Kemper version would be coming out.

• Why?

The unit was designed with plenty of DSP headroom for software tweaks and upgrades, which we get every few months.

Just guessin', but I reckon the reason the "modellers" out there have such a short product cycle is... because they're crap. LOL

Kemper doesn't need to do this.

• It's like having a 5+ year old computer. It may be well built, but I'm sure there are hardware upgrades and other things that can be done to improve the product and what it can do. I know with the Axe-FX, there are hardware changes due to previously expensive components that can now be included due to price decreases.

Usually with a product that gets released. You get user feedback and suggestions to help you redesign it to make a better product in a redesigned version. You can only plan and predict so much on your own when you first release a product. Also, "updates" can only due so much with aging hardware.

I know people are wanting to have USB interface so you don't have to use an interface. But I guess that isn't going to happen with an "update". But I wonder if something like that would require a hardware change to implement and may be why Kemper isn't interested in doing that via an "update".

Also I'd like a redesign of the case/buttons, because I don't really care for the look of the product. That's one of the reasons why I decided to try out an Axe-FX, because I think that is a well designed looking product. The Kemper looks more toyish and lesser quality in terms of looks compared to the Axe-FX. Kemper should get outside help in designing their 2nd version whenever that gets released.

• I don't think we will see a Kemper 2 within the next 5 years.

Profiling is (at the moment) a unique feature. Many things can still be implemented or improved with firmware updates.
    Of course there are things that need different Hardware (USB-Audio Interface, a correctly working alternative Input...) but I don't think this is a reason for Kemper to act that soon.
    As far as I can see the Kemper sells very good.
    Personaly, i think its more important they work with the unit they have (Editor!...) than summarizing their effort in creating a new one.

• It's like having a 5+ year old computer.

that is a generalization. computers and audio hardware shouldn't be compared like that.
    also, your number would be wrong ;)

You can only plan and predict so much on your own when you first release a product.

It's not really the 'first' product. The Profiler is made by the same guys that made the quite successful Virus family of synths.

I know people are wanting to have USB interface so you don't have to use an interface. But I guess that isn't going to happen with an "update". But I wonder if something like that would require a hardware change to implement and may be why Kemper isn't interested in doing that via an "update".

a USB audio interface wouldn't make much sense in a professional product. people already have their audio
    interfaces (that they chose for a reason) and it's pretty much impossible to reliably run more than audio interface at the same time.

Also I'd like a redesign of the case/buttons, because I don't really care for the look of the product. That's one of the reasons why I decided to try out an Axe-FX, because I think that is a well designed looking product. The Kemper looks more toyish and lesser quality in terms of looks compared to the Axe-FX. Kemper should get outside help in designing their 2nd version whenever that gets released.

one would think that a musician chooses gear based on how it sounds ;)
    also, the Profiler was designed to give guitarists the best possible UI instead of just a box with a few token knobs. the workflow, the layout, the controls feel very natural and the unit is extremely easy to navigate.
    again, more than a decade experience in designing UIs (see above)

I have to ask:
    did you collect these statements from TGP? :D

• OP is either a troll or just a product of the culture created by other companies who count on its users to constantly pay for the newer version of their flawed products.
    The Kemper is one of the few products that actually delivers right out of the gate and doesn't need to play the game lIke these other companies do.
    I don't feel sorry for any people who keep investing money in these other gadgets cuz they would obviously rather worry about non essential features rather than the actual sound of the product.
    I also feel like every time a new Line 6 product launches you start seeing a ton of astroturfimg all over the web. Just look at the gear page and their helix thread. So large and the product ain't even out yet. Same thing happened with the hd500.

• that is a generalization. computers and audio hardware shouldn't be compared like that.
    also, your number would be wrong

The number wouldn't be wrong because it was designed out years before it was released. So it's a 5+ year model design. It still is a computer. We're not talking about a tube amp here. I believe they worked on it for like 6 years before it was released? So I'd say overall a 10 year old design.

It's not really the 'first' product. The Profiler is made by the same guys that made the quite successful Virus family of synths.

It's the "first" Kemper Profiling Amplifier. I wasn't referring to the first product they ever made. It's fairly common to release a Mark 1, then some time later to come out with a whole new version or a Mark 2. You come out with model revisions to update hardware and to fix/address concerns there may be with the design. For example, one complaint I've seen alot with the Kemper is that you can't connect the Kemper to your computer and do an update. You have to transfer a USB stick back and forth. I don't know if that is fixable with an "update" or if that is a hardware solution. I'm assuming it's a hardware solution as I'd figure that would have been addressed years ago. That right there shows the age of the design that needs to be updated.

one would think that a musician chooses gear based on how it sounds

also, the Profiler was designed to give guitarists the best possible UI
    instead of just a box with a few token knobs. the workflow, the layout,
    the controls feel very natural and are extremely easy to navigate.

again, more than a decade experience in designing UIs (see above)

I can't really tell "how it sounds" without first buying it. I'm just saying, and a lot of other people have said this and still say this. The Kemper looks toyish. Years ago I was deciding between the Axe-FX and the Kemper. Going back and forth and decided to try out the Axe-FX mainly because it is a better looking product. I ended up not keeping the Axe-FX though as I ended up just tweeking it the whole time and not playing. Didn't try the Kemper because it just looked goofy, but was still interested. Years later I figured there would be a Mark II or something by now to check out.

I may later on get the Kemper to check it out. Even if it sounds amazing, I'd still think it looks all goofy and should be redesigned when they release Mark II. I think it would help sales if the Kemper not only sounds good, but also looks good as well. There are lots of comments of people not even willing to try the Kemper out just because of how it looks. That's just the reality of it. If redesigning it to look way better increases sales, then it would be a good thing regardless if someone thinks others should buy it without regard to how it looks.

But then again, learning of having to transfer a dedicated USB stick back and forth to do updates and transfer amp models is a pretty big turn off.

• Haha if those are your two biggest stumbling blocks then I'd say go back to your iPad and JamUp/whatever! Seriously, the KPA is a sophisticated device, both in it's sounds and operation, aimed at pros. If you can't get over the aesthetic, then you shouldn't even be in the game. Also, it's easy to drag and drop a file to a USB stick and put it in the slot on the KPA!!! Sorry, but it's true.
    I wish you luck with whatever you end up with.

• I'm sure that even if or when there will be a new kemper sometime several years from now with some new features it will still be back compatible and can play the exact same sounds from the profiles we users have created today. They designed their Access Virus series with longevity in mind. The first generation of the virus sythesizer is from 1997. Even the old models still get firmware updates and can be serviced. I don't know another product in this category that is so future proof. That is a big difference compared to Line6, Axe fx, Boss gear etc that drop the support for older products when a new model is released. Fractal releases new Axe fx products every 2-3 years dropping support for older gear. I also really like that the Kemper sound doesn't change after firmware updates like the Axe fx 2 that I have to spend time re-tweaking, not having a consistent tone each fw.

Here is info from a thread about the kempers long planned lifespan.
    "Why the Kemper is really future proof for at least the next 15 years"

Quote from C.Kemper.

"We have no plans or ideas to improve the core sound engine of the profiler in terms of getting closer to something.
    If we ever applied changes to that in the future, we will still make existing profiles and rigs sound the same.
    My plan is to let your profiles and rigs sound the same in 15 years, as
    you have created it today. No matter what hardware, software or firmware
    you run it on. Of course there will be improvements and paradigm
    shifts. But no technical innovation can algorithmically improve the
    sounds that you have created by 20% or whatsoever. If there is an
    innovation, you will have to add it to your sound by hand and in
    purpose."

• OP is either a troll or just a product of the culture created by other companies who count on its users to constantly pay for the newer version of their flawed products.
    The Kemper is one of the few products that actually delivers right out of the gate and doesn't need to play the game lIke these other companies do.
    I don't feel sorry for any people who keep investing money in these other gadgets cuz they would obviously rather worry about non essential features rather than the actual sound of the product.
    I also feel like every time a new Line 6 product launches you start seeing a ton of astroturfimg all over the web. Just look at the gear page and their helix thread. So large and the product ain't even out yet. Same thing happened with the hd500.

Your "troll" commentary is just an attack designed to try and shut down discussion of critique of the Kemper amp. I'm a potential buyer here giving feedback to help Kemper make a better product. I'm sure they'd like to have my money, and I'm giving them suggestions to try and help them with that, not counting that it would help them get other buyers of their products as well.

It's a 10+ year old design overall. Not counting too that it's a first model that will already have lots of things that would have gotten improved on with later model revisions. Also, you don't "have" to buy the new revision models when other companies come out with them. You can keep using whatever model you bought. If Kemper was at Mark III right now, you could have kept using your Mark I model.

And I'm not asking if or why there isn't a redesigned new model every year or something like that. I had figured a 10 year old designed piece of electronics would have had a revision by now or a new redesign soon to come out.

Do you consider it a "flaw" to have to use a dedicated USB stick to transfer updates and amp models back and forth between the Kemper and the computer? That's pretty ancient as I'm guessing that it was needed to be that way when it was first designed out a long time ago. All the other similar products don't have this problem as they can all be connected directly to the computer to get updates or to transfer files. I'm guessing Kemper would have addressed this years ago if it could have been fixed via an update. It doesn't matter how well someone thinks the Kemper sounds, this is an example of a turn off for a potential buyer.

• There are lots of comments of people not even willing to try the Kemper out just because of how it looks.

I'm pretty sure the Fender Stratocaster had the same 'problem'. :)

But then again, learning of having to transfer a dedicated USB stick back and forth to do updates and transfer amp models is a pretty big turn off.

RigManager is a pretty cool tool to get your content organized and it's nicely integrated with the RigExchange.

and about the USB stick, I think you're looking at this the wrong way:
    it's actually the only unit I know of that can get updates, make backups, import and export rigs without using a computer.

• Amen

• All this "10 year old design" and "mark I" stuff... You're assuming that they didn't design it right first time. If the design was started 10 years ago, that only shows how thoroughly they thought things through before bringing it to market! I sincerely hope that you one day have the courage to get past your hang ups and try one out for yourself. Then you'll realise that the reason it looks the way it does is BECAUSE of the intuitive design; it's designed to be used, not to be looked at!

• All this "10 year old design" and "mark I" stuff... You're assuming that they didn't design it right first time. If the design was started 10 years ago, that only shows how thoroughly they thought things through before bringing it to market! I sincerely hope that you one day have the courage to get past your hang ups and try one out for yourself. Then you'll realise that the reason it looks the way it does is BECAUSE of the intuitive design; it's designed to be used, not to be looked at!

This

+1

• Haha if those are your two biggest stumbling blocks then I'd say go back to your iPad and JamUp/whatever! Seriously, the KPA is a sophisticated device, both in it's sounds and operation, aimed at pros. If you can't get over the aesthetic, then you shouldn't even be in the game. Also, it's easy to drag and drop a file to a USB stick and put it in the slot on the KPA!!! Sorry, but it's true.
    I wish you luck with whatever you end up with.

I'm only using real amps. I don't use anything else.

Would you like Kemper to sell more amps? If you do, then you should listen to what I'm saying. The reality is there are a lot of people out there deciding between the Kemper and Axe-FX for example. Some go with Axe-FX just for looks alone as you can't really play these in the store to try out. So that's a lost sale for Kemper. Of all the amps and gear out there. Kemper seems to be the most polarizing with regards to it's design. There's a lot of people out there who don't even take the Kemper seriously because it looks more like a toy. Fact is you'll buy it no matter I presume. But if Kemper redesigned it and made it a bad ass looking amp, they'll get more sales.

And the USB flash thing would be pretty annoying. Lot of complaints on this. Just because you are happy with it doesn't negate others issues with it. And you don't even know how I'd be using the Kemper if I had one.

I'd have to go grab the USB flash out of the drawer and connect it to the computer. Drag and drop the files. Pull out the Kemper and flip it around. Connect the USB flash. Then flip the Kemper back around to do the update or whatever buttons you push to do that. Then pull the USB flash out and put it back in the drawer. Then push the Kemper back into it's place.

Why bother with all of that if I could just leave a USB cable connected to it, and just connect it up to the computer and not mess with all that USB flash nonsense? That should have been fixed in an update or something, but I'm guessing it's a hardware limitation.

It reminds me of when I had to do the USB flash updates with the bluray player before I got one that had wifi in it.

• You wouldn't need to turn the Kemper around if you bought the rack version... :D
    Seriously though, sounds like a MAJOR stumbling block. Now I know why Fractal have so many sales. :wacko:

Dude, it's all about the tone, playability and ease of use & convenience.

ps You only need the USB stick for updates, you know...
    And as long as they keep improving an already astounding product, I don't care if Kemper don't sell another amp!

• "Also I'd like a redesign of the case/buttons, because I don't really care for the look of the product. That's one of the reasons why I decided to try out an Axe-FX, because I think that is a well designed looking product. The Kemper looks more toyish and lesser quality in terms of looks compared to the Axe-FX. Kemper should get outside help in designing their 2nd version whenever that gets released."

You don't seem like a potential customer, you seem more like a person that came here to ask Kemper to completely change everything about their product to suite your specific needs. That's impossible.

• and about the USB stick, I think you're looking at this the wrong way:
    it's actually the only unit I know of that can get updates, make backups, import and export rigs without using a computer.

That would be fine if you could also connect a computer to it and do the same thing. I wouldn't have a reason to do an update without using the computer. So it's not a feature for me.

I think it's just an excuse for outdated way of doing things that probably I'm assuming can't get fixed with an update.

I used to have a bluray player that required frequent updating via USB flash. It was annoying and I ended up getting a bluray player with wifi so I didn't have to mess with the USB flash nonsense anymore. The reason you don't need to use a USB flash anymore to update blu ray players is because they redesigned their players to have wifi so you could update via wifi instead.