ISP Technologies THETA PRO DSP

• Well, another competent competitor in the arena?
    And the preset push button works in the right direction :D

To get the right impression for sound you have to play by yourself.
    Im my HiFi home equipment it sounds good. (Special the reverb and chorus). I don't know If there was some treatment in the final mix.

In that short overview I did not find any thing what the camper can not do, except that Kemper is not a floorboard.

I think programming is more complicated as for Kemper (without an Editor.)

Was an interesting presentation but no reason to leave Kemper.

• I'm just joking Laimon.

:P

But honestly I don't like so much the ISP sounds. Especially compared to the KPA.
    However my tastes are not a rule. So if you like it I don't want to hurt you.

• Well, FWIW I bought one of these to test out.

I haven't dwelled much into it so far - so it's far to early to tell how this compares in feel to the KPA but what I can say so far: the chorus is super impressive!

First impression - BIG annoyance:

1.)No on/off switch!!! Pod HD days anyone? Ok c'mon you design a $1300 thing - please add a simple on-off switch! I mean WTF?

2.)No USB - so no direct and easy-made updates!!! Super-WTF???
    I got this thing brand new and I'm on software 1.1
    I asked ISP Tech what software they are on and they replied "there has been an update and we're on 2.1".
    The update adds pitch shifting effects - so my unit does not have it!! Awesome! :D
    I asked - how can I update? Answer: "If you would like to update, the easiest way would be to have you remove your internal DSP card, which is not too difficult and send it in to use to re-burn the DSP code internal"
    POD 2.0 days anyone?
    C'mon, this is 2016!

• Yeah, this is exactly why I didn't dive into this product: it's clearly a dead end, most products get out of date in a few years, this is heavily outdated from the start.
    Superpity because it really sounded interesting.

• I did ask ISP about the Theta Pro's updateability yesterday and got the following reply :
    "Hi Berry, We are working on an upgrade now that will allow future software updates via the internet but until this is ready the only way to update the software is by either sending ISP the entire unit or the internal DSP card."

So work in progress, until then I'll enjoy what it has to offer without the updates..
    and I'll mod my own on/off switch onto it ^^

• So they will offer updates via midi I take it?
    As there is no USB port...

Sure... enjoy the unit!
    Never said anything else... just gave my honest opinion (even directly to ISP so they could improve what seemed like a solid product).

• I was thankful for your honest review .. and even happier with their commitment to updating the unit.
    Agreed I dont see another option than midi .. going through midi means buying another usb to midi interface and probably sending the DSP module to the States (from Europe for me) initially to update the software for the new updation method ..
    The updates will have to be killer for me to go to all that trouble ... We'll see ..

• I don't particularly like this product although I'm basing this solely from what's on their website and the posted clip. The sales pitch is the same crap you see everywhere at the moment - the true PRO wants their individual sound; endlessly tweakable blah blah. And the video looks like it was shot in a random warehouse by someone who's unsure of where the zoom function on the camera is.

The sounds didn't seem amazing. The distortion was very 80s and fizzy and the cleans squashed into oblivion by heavy compression then tons of chorus added . Combine this with updates that require sending the unit or part of it to the manufacturer make it a bit of a joke for the money being asked for it imo.

I'll stick with the kemper or if I get really desperate I'd rather buy an hd500x

• I was thankful for your honest review .. and even happier with their commitment to updating the unit.
    Agreed I dont see another option than midi .. going through midi means buying another usb to midi interface and probably sending the DSP module to the States (from Europe for me) initially to update the software for the new updation method ..
    The updates will have to be killer for me to go to all that trouble ... We'll see ..

Cool! Keep us posted! I'd love to see how this unit progresses and evolves over time. I'm curious to see if they implement/change any of my suggestions...