Effects Loop setup on the Kemper

• On the "send" jack on back connect a cable there to the input of your external device. From that devices output, connect that to the Kemper's "return" jack. Next, decide where in the Kemper's path you want the loop. For delay, reverbs, and modulation effects, the best location is in the X slot, which is just after the amp section in the Kemper. In that slot go through types until you come to mono or stereo loop; it's in there with the other effects. I just use it mono loop (you'd need a stereo Y cable to use stereo loop effects, which would only matter if you were sending stereo outs out of the Kemper anyhow.) Then make sure the X slot is active, and of course that your external effect is engaged.

If using in Performance mode, you can click the button at the top left of the screen where it says "slot settings" under that you can send midi messages when you go to that performance slot. Then you can send midi messages through the kempers midi output or midi thru to your external device if you'd like. Then you can call up particular presets (or bypass) your external device when going from rig to rig.

Keep in mind that the when you bring up the X slot with the loop effect, you probably want the level to 100%, which means that all of your signal is going through the external effect, just like it would if it was on a traditional pedal board. This control gives you the ability to mix in a little bit of the external effect if you'd like. There's also a ducking feature. In the positive number range, (I like between +0.5 to 1.5) as you strum out, the effect disappears, when you play light or hold a note or chord the effect sticks out. I use this a lot.

• Hi Grooguit,

I think I got it to work but I am having some noise problems. I am trying to loop a Boss Blues Driver Waza Craft pedal into the Kemper.
    Do you think the X slot is the best place for this pedal? I have the cables setup as such from the Kemper send output to the input of the Boss pedal. The Boss output is connected to the Kemper return input. The noise cannot be controlled with the noise gate. Do you have any ideas I could try?

Thanks very much for your help.

Armando

ACM

• Overdrive and distortion pedals work best in front of the amp (and at instrument level signals). The X slot is line level and after the amp/cab, so that's not the best place for the loop for your application. Try it in one of the A-D loops.

• I have recently bought 2 vibrato pedals which have two outputs from the pedal to give a stereo effect.

I've looked at the Tutorials and there is the option of returning to the Kemper in stereo using Alternative Input & Return sockets. Those sockets are TRS inputs.

But the pedal outputs are TS plugs.

The best possible solution I see - which does involve extra expense - is to get something like the Radial Engineering Stage Bug SB6 which will match the TS plug from the pedal to the TRS cable that goes to the Kemper sockets.

I guess in a pinch one could just run TS plugs straight into the Kemper, but I'm loathe to do that. Or ditch the stereo effect & run mono & run just one cable..

I would be interested in hearing about how others connect their pedals to the Kemper, particularly if they have a stereo option working.

Regards
    Pete

• Hi Frodebro. Could you please tell me how you have got your H9's routed please? I've currently got one H9 in the loop, and have just bought a 2nd, but am scratching my head a bit when it comes to hooking up the 2nd unit.

Cheers
    Andy :)

• Hi Frodebro. Could you please tell me how you have got your H9's routed please? I've currently got one H9 in the loop, and have just bought a 2nd, but am scratching my head a bit when it comes to hooking up the 2nd unit.

Cheers
    Andy :)

I'm just running them in series-mono send from the KPA into the first one, stereo out into the second one, and back into the stereo returns on the KPA. I have them assigned to separate MIDI channels, though (KPA is MIDI channel 1, H9#1 is channel 2, and H9#2 is channel 3). I'm using a Ground Control Pro MIDI controller, and have it configured to send individual PC #s to each unit. This way I don't have to build presets in the H9s for each preset in the Kemper. For example, spring reverb in H9#2 is on preset 1 in that unit. So any presets that I want a spring reverb on I configure the GCP to call up PC#1 on MIDI channel 3.

• Thanks for the reply, Frodebro, although some of that is a little over my head, as I'm not the most savvy of people when it comes to music tech, and midi etc. I've currently got one H9 in the loop, performing mainly reverb/delay duties and receiving preset changes from the KPA. I was contemplating putting the other H9 before the KPA mainly to perform modulation fx for flanger, chorus, phaser etc, and having both units midi controlled by the KPA for preset changes. I'm using the Kemper Remote.

• Thanks for the reply, Frodebro, although some of that is a little over my head, as I'm not the most savvy of people when it comes to music tech, and midi etc. I've currently got one H9 in the loop, performing mainly reverb/delay duties and receiving preset changes from the KPA. I was contemplating putting the other H9 before the KPA mainly to perform modulation fx for flanger, chorus, phaser etc, and having both units midi controlled by the KPA for preset changes. I'm using the Kemper Remote.

It's all just preset changes, exactly like you're doing with yours, except I'm sending three different PC commands on three different MIDI channels to the three different units. I have a handful of presets that I use for a lot of things in the H9s, so instead of copying them to each preset slot to correspond with the different presets in the Kemper I simply program my MIDI controller to point each H9 to the preset that I want.