EFX Slot Delays & Mutliple Instances of Delays ... any particular reasons we dont have them yet (?)

• Hey all

Am curious / wondering:

-> are there any particular technical reasons or limitations as to why we don't have EFX Slot Delays and Multiple Instances of Delays ? -or- has Kemper already / previously stated that these will at some stage definitely be implemented in a FW update. ?

Ben

• Absolutely not. I was wondering the same and would indeed like to have delays in the pre section too. Not for overdrive sounds ofcourse but for clean stuff.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Yeah ...... its a really weird one ...... I just checked WIKPA.

http://www.wikpa.org/Firmware#

The current 3.0.2 went "final" on March 30 this year [ 2015 ]

1.8.2 went final 24 months before that

In that intervening 24 months we got 22 [ Beta and Final ] Firmware Updates

Prior to 1.8.2 Im sure there were also a lot of other Firmware updates.

My point ?

Prior to buying my KPA I did my reseach and I knew it had no Slot Delay and I also could see that almost from Day 1 of its release, the lack of a Slot Delay has been requested wanted.

I guess the thing that is really weird is that

-> there have [so far] been literally dozens of Firmware updates
    -> Kemper well and truly know this is a [major] wanted / requested feature
    -> some 4 or so years since its release, its still not been implemented ?????

I really [ really ] hope I am wrong about this but I'm starting to think that the reason we haven't yet got an EFX Slot Delay that can also be run at the same time as the Post-Delay is that the Kemper hardware cant run 2 separate and totally unique Delay instances ( ? ) ......... again, I really really hope there is some other reason.

Ben

• If the DSP in the chip can handle running 8 simultaneous effects, an amp section with multiple options, control MIDI, etc. without even a glimpse of being short on processing power and memory, there's no reason an in-memory delay loop couldn't happen.

That being said, this has been requested for a very long time, along with moving reverb out to other slots, and additional delay and reverb types, to no avail. It's not that Kemper isn't listening to us, but they are really targeting features that will make us sound better (e.g. the 3.0 release of merged profiles). If you have a problem with the current implementation, a workaround would be to run a delay pedal in the FX loop. You could run something that's MIDI controlled (Eventide TimeFactor, Strymon Timeline) and get a much larger reach of delay sounds than the Kemper can, and control its individual patch changes via MIDI (which you can do in Performance Mode).

I'm a delay and reverb junkie, and crafting ambient sounds is what I'm called on doing much of the time, so I feel you, but the Kemper is an amp box with some effects, and the AxeFX is an FX box with some amps. I just augment where I can with external pedals.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• An additional delay and a spring reverb is on the list for a very long time.

I agree that this would be a great addon to get a complete package - and yes, the best workaround is an external effect in the loop.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• All true ...... however ........

.......... the other thing that does make me think it may well be a hardware limitation is that Kemper have already coded and implemented and excellent delay in the "post" EFX section.

So its not like they would need to re-write / re-code an EFX Slot Delay from scratch - they could simply modify the existing post-delay code and implement it in the pre-slots.

The fact that since its release [ ~ 4 years ago ] and countless requests since they still have not done it really does make me think its a hardware limitation of the Kempers existing DSP.

Putting aside if / when Kemper may or may not do this, there is no doubt that Kemper definitely know, from a technical standpoint whether the current Kemper hardware can or cannot handle multiple, unique instances of delays.

If I was a betting person -and I'm not- it seems very hard to come to any conclusion other than the current Kemper DSP simply does not have the juice / grunt to do this.

I don't buy the whole Kemper is concentrating on other stuff instead - for the first 1 <-> 2 years ... maybe ..... but not now .... Im sure the Kemper designers/builders can " walk and chew gum" at the same time.

What other sensible reason could there be ?

Ben

• What other sensible reason could there be ?

Sensible reason? None. But I think Kemper has always focused on putting the amp sounds ahead of the effects. IIRC, the original KPA firmware didn't even have performance mode done, which, IMO, is the feature that makes the Kemper worthwile. They've focused highly on adding new effects and refining the profiling process. Now that the Kemper has direct, merged, and standard rigs available, I see no reason to figure out a "4th way," and rigs should be in "maintenance mode" for the near future. Now's the time to see Kemper put some effort into the effects blocks. My guess is that, for most people, one delay is more than enough, and, for some players, is never used - so why implement a less-often requested feature? For myself, I find it outrageously lacking, as well as the reverb block, but all the other FX are pretty good. I could care less about improvements on the overdrives (though profiling an overdrive or distortion pedal would make me squeal with joy) or any of the other effects - IMO they're good enough.

I certainly believe the DSP, without having any exact specs, measurements, or usage charts, has the capability to handle it. Maybe not a delay in every single block, but certainly at least one extra.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack