Tip #1 Select great profiles

• How to find great profiles out of the many profiles available?

Here some tips:
    1) While selecting profiles use the guitar you like to use later during the recording or gig

2) Play at about the same level you like to use the profile later

3) Jam to a recording of your band or at least to a drumtrack

4) Don't use too much gain

5) Use the KPA tone controls to adjust the profiles - a lot of bass may be fun to play along - but may sound bad when used at band level

6) switch of all effects - a great profile should sound good as a raw profile

7) If you need some effects for your signature sound - lock them to get the same effects for all profiles

Any more tips?

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• No.You nailed it very well.Just one comment to your 1):

Floyd Rose style bridges(more so the ones "floating") need more instant tweaking.

My 70s Strat and my custom made Les Paul sound instantly (without much tweaking) great with any great profile(more so with Plexis,Jcm800s,Fender-Twins,Vox etc from the rig exchange) but my very good Custom ESP from the late 80s sounds some what harsh and a little bit fizzy with most high gain profiles(though this guitar sounds fantastic with my Steavens Poundcake and more so my Rectifier).For me it helps when I use less presence and more treble with most great higain profiles.

Edited once, last by Nikos ().

• No.You nailed it very well.Just one comment to your 1):

Floyd Rose style bridges(more so the ones "floating") need more instant tweaking.

My 70s Strat and my custom made Les Paul sound instantly (without much tweaking) great with any great profile(more so with Plexis,Jcm800s,Fender-Twins,Vox etc from the rig exchange) but my very good Custom ESP from the late 80s sounds some what harsh and a little bit fizzy with most high gain profiles(though this guitar sounds fantastic with my Steavens Poundcake and more so my Rectifier).For me it helps when I use less presence and more treble with most great higain profiles.

I would think that the pickups in the ESP have a bigger influence on how it sounds than the bridge does. My Floyd-equipped guitar sounds just as good as my other guitars. The tone is slightly different (it has different pickups in it), but it's definitely not harsh or fizzy.

• @Frodebro & mwinter77

Hi my friends,

Me personally..I belong to the small group of players who doubt the "huge role" of the pickups in an electric guitar.Other things are much more important to the sound (always in my opinion).Like the quality of wood ofcourse,weight,neck/body-connection,bridge(and if this is "fixed" or "floating"),nut..but this is another issue we can discuss in another thread.

When I responded to @Armin I had more his points in mind.Most of all because he is right about point 1) and most of all 4) too..

Who are the guys who prefer mostly highgain-profiles;Right,the ones who also play some "axes" with high output-PU´s(from what I know some what like EMGs 81/85 etc) and sure some kind of Floyd Rose style bridge,thin necks and so on.And also very surely they will choose some kind of 5150/Triple Rectifier(talking about fizz) etc profile..so we talk about a lots of potential to produce some kind of mess if you don´t know about the issue.In these cases a floating bridge really does not add clearity and the "right high frequencies"..

All this will not really help to hear the "true character" of a profile.As @Armin said;Less gain.Play (if possible) the profile together with your bands music etc,etc

Greetings

• I have a few guitars that I've owned since the late eighties/early nineties, all have had multiple pickup swaps through the years. In my case, changing to drastically different pickups has had a pretty big impact on how those guitars sound. I haven't experimented with swapping Floyds for stop bars or planing off maple caps and grafting on mahogany to determine how much impact those things have, but I do know that changing pickups can have quite a big impact on the sound. And I'm not a high gain player for the most part, either. Lots of classic rock and cleaner stuff.

• Sorry my friend but this time I have difficulties to get you.Ofcourse does any change of a pickup have some consequences on the sound of the guitar.Putting an Humbucker into a single coil strat will surely have a strong "impact".Same if you change the Humbuckers of a les paul with single coils.

But does that make a strat sound like a les paul;Or the les paul like a strat;Ofcourse not.Mahagony sounds very different than ash or elder.I also cant remember any serious blues player (from the past or today) who plays his vintage strat or his les paul with a floyd rose.

I had once a les paul with a floating floyd rose.Sounded still "good" but there is a reason why most serious players wont do this stuff anymore.They will keep their les paul as it is.Maybe changing the humbuckers.

Today after some decades of "Rock ´n` Roll" and many experiments most serious players have more than just one guitar with which they try to play everything.Most have several guitars for "each sound".There is a reason for this.Don´t you think;

• @Nikos
    If a profile sounds harsh with your guitar, than the amp in the setting that was profiled would have too.

Quick fix: turn down Definition.

It's not an issue of Floyd equipped guitars, I have them here and they are fine.
    If your guitar sounds bright, a profile made for a fatter sounding guitar might sound off.
    This is not an issue of the Profiler as you make it sound.

Best fix: make your own profiles.

This is not an issue of the Profiler as you make it sound.

This was never my intention.I am very happy with the profiler.I just wanted to support @Armin in his points.

My ESP sound also great with the Kemper.The ONLY thing I wanted to say that me personally(!!!) need in the case of the ESP a little bit more "tweaking".But with the good amp-like interface of the Kemper this is absolutely no problem.Thats all.Dont shoot me.. :D

In the end I habe made my personal expirience that Floyd Rose(or any floating fixed bridge) "sucks" some of the most important higher mid frequencies of any guitar,This is imo no big news.Just a (physical) fact.Adding in this case more presence is the wrong way to go.The better way is to "close the gap" between the "mids and the higher highs"(what;).Not to mention that when we talk about frequencies we must make a huge difference between what we guitar players call "lows,mids and treble" and what a sound engineer is learning about that stuff.The guitar like the human voice or some instruments (besides the guitar for example the snare drum,trumpet,saxophone and the keyboards etc) is most of all mids frequencies and what we guitar players mostly name "Treble" may be still mids in the HiFi-world.What we guitar players call "presence" may be" just the start" of the higher frequencies.But since all this stuff is named as it is let it better keep this way.

Greetings

P.S.

Yes.I will mic some own stuff.And I will ofcourse put it into the rig exchange.

• In the end I habe made my personal expirience that Floyd Rose(or any floating fixed bridge) "sucks" some of the most important higher mid frequencies of any guitar,This is imo no big news.Just a (physical) fact..

Same here, Nikos.

I'll add that well-designed floating bridges such as the one in the Luke™ guitars, and even the one in my JTV69, have much less of a detrimental effect on tone and sustain.

The FL-licensed bridge in my JTV89, on the other hand, sucks the absolute life out of the sound. No "chimeyness" acoustically (and low acoustic volume), and a distinct lack of high mids. It's plainly obvious, and I'll not use the guitar for recording unless the FL bridge is required; the JTV69's floating trem is more than sufficient in most scenarios anyway.

I put it down to all the extra weight and metal in the FL models. Much more deadweight there, IMHO.

• I am with you my friend.I remember long ago (more than 20 years have passed,ugh..) when we made experiments with larger brass and tungsten sustain-blocks for the Floyd Rose.Even Titanium was an option for some freaks back than(with more or less frustrating results).

Anyway..

We can do a lot.Today much more than back then.But we can´t cheat physics. ;)

• Best tip I've ever heard regarding profiler is to make your own profiles.

P.S. In meantime Steve Vail laughs his ass off while sucking tone with his Floyd Rose equipped JEM and winning Grammy awards

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That clip reminds me why I don't really like Vai's tone very much. Not a commentary on playing prowness but rather I don't like that way over processed Eventide tone that is pretty much the same tone I have heard from everything he has ever done