Include cab IR making directly in the Kemper.

• I find it kinda strange that we can profile whole rigs, direct amps but not cabinets in the Kemper. Creating cab impulse responses is a real hastle (indeed i have not worked out how to do it right yet). You have to do it on a computer, then import them via usb stick etc etc.... The Kemper really should include this function.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• OK, but lets not forget what the Kemper is about. - its not a Digital Preamp, it does not "Simulate" Amp heads, it profiles. - CK gave us the option to use a "Preamp Profile" that is best used for real speaker cabs. - Still, Physical profiling still has to take place and IR methods are not really in his agenda I would not of thought..

I may be wrong : )

• OK, but lets not forget what the Kemper is about. - its not a Digital Preamp, it does not "Simulate" Amp heads, it profiles. - CK gave us the option to use a "Preamp Profile" that is best used for real speaker cabs. - Still, Physical profiling still has to take place and IR methods are not really in his agenda I would not of thought..

Yeah, but don't forget that the market not only adopts and adapts to a game-changing product, but also develop new needs on the basis of it - and this is what happens here, I think :)

I guess it CAN be done currently with the FW 3.0 profiling, by making a merged profile. But I guess it can be a bit of a hassle to some.

In any case, this would only be relevant to owners of powered KPAs.

• I think that this is a great idea because I don't think the cabs made by merging are 100% accurate. For example, make a cab with your amp set at a gain of 2 and then make a cab with your amp set at a gain of 7, the cabs should be interchangeable but they are not, they do not sound the same. I do think that the DA profiles are accurate, so having the ability to make an IR of your cab would be a great option to have.

• I think that this is a great idea because I don't think the cabs made by merging are 100% accurate. For example, make a cab with your amp set at a gain of 2 and then make a cab with your amp set at a gain of 7, the cabs should be interchangeable but they are not, they do not sound the same.

But this is actually totally accurate. Guitar cabs are non-linear and react differently depending on what signal is feeding them, as you no doubt know. A change in gain will excite the breakup pattern of the cabinet differently, meaning the Kempers "IR" of that cabinet will sound different.

• But this is actually totally accurate. Guitar cabs are non-linear and react differently depending on what signal is feeding them, as you no doubt know. A change in gain will excite the breakup pattern of the cabinet differently, meaning the Kempers "IR" of that cabinet will sound different.

I'm not sure that I agree or maybe I just don't understand what you are saying. If you are saying that the speakers actually breakup (as in distort) I don't think that is the case. Do you have some data to support this position, or is there a test that I can do to observe this non-linear effect? I'm not trying to be argumentative, this is a serious question because I'm not an expert in this field and I'm always open to learning something new.

• I'm not sure that I agree or maybe I just don't understand what you are saying. If you are saying that the speakers actually breakup (as in distort) I don't think that is the case. Do you have some data to support this position, or is there a test that I can do to observe this non-linear effect? I'm not trying to be argumentative, this is a serious question because I'm not an expert in this field and I'm always open to learning something new.

Hi!

Here is ah interesting reading for you

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t…g2=D-yv89O9b4QWDozq3cYArw

I don't think you are. Including direct profiles (despite that I understand the reasons, live etc..) diluted the product enough.. why would anyone want to use IRs with Kemper I don't know.

• OK, but lets not forget what the Kemper is about. - its not a Digital Preamp, it does not "Simulate" Amp heads, it profiles..

Andy - I do not get this somehow. Impulse Responses are actually samples, which are way closer to the idea of a profile (and the other way round) than to a synthetically generated (modeled) sound on a device like the POD. Before the KPA I was using the well known LePou Plugins LeCab IR Reader instead of the cabsim inside the POD. No comparison.

Yet I have to figure out the cab options inside the KPA, but - given you have a good quality IR library - to be able to use high quality samples of a miced cab cannot be bad in any way. It is as close as it gets, similar to the KPA when profiling. It works on reverbs in the whole NI-universe (and other brands) and sounds a 1000 times more realistic than most onboard algorithms unless maybe you have one of those 10K+ reverb units from Lexicon or TC.

Sum up, Why would one want to use IRs on the Kemper? Because it is very close to the idea of the Kemper. A snapshort from the real world, made tweakable.

No contradiction in my humble opinion - unless I am getting something worng :)

Greetings

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I don't get this argument. The KPA cabs are a tweakable snapshot from the real world too, aren't they?

Of course! This sentences is regarding both, the Kemper and IRs!

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• IR will NEVER be able to capture the true sound of a guitar cab, as they are static in nature. Guitar cabinets are non-linear; their response changes depending on the signal that is feeding them. This is why many people refer to cabinet IRs as sounding dull, lifeless or flat. I've no idea how the KPA goes about emulating the cabinet portion of a profile, but for me personally, they sound much more lifelike and lively than any static IRs I've tried to play through. Of course, some may prefer the sound of IRs, so of course for them having a built in IR creator could be beneficial. However, I'm not sure how the KPA could implement such an option that differs from the current Studio/DA/Merged profiling process.

• IR will NEVER be able to capture the true sound of a guitar cab, as they are static in nature. Guitar cabinets are non-linear; their response changes depending on the signal that is feeding them. This is why many people refer to cabinet IRs as sounding dull, lifeless or flat. I've no idea how the KPA goes about emulating the cabinet portion of a profile, but for me personally, they sound much more lifelike and lively than any static IRs I've tried to play through. Of course, some may prefer the sound of IRs, so of course for them having a built in IR creator could be beneficial. However, I'm not sure how the KPA could implement such an option that differs from the current Studio/DA/Merged profiling process.

Good point! Yeah, it is why I wrote "as close as it gets". However there are parameters that mimic the "movement" you mentioned, also on modeling devices (e.g. "air"). Nevertheless, I will not say, that the KPA can not go beyond the quality of good IRs, please do not get me wrong here.

Greetings

• Here is a quick test that I did today. I made an IR of my cab with TwoNotes Torpedo Capture and loaded into my Torpedo CAB. Then I left the mic's in the exact same position and recorded the amp & cab into my DAW and I also ran the direct out of the amp into the Torpedo CAB and recorded it at the same time. I don't do cleans but I did start at a light crunch and worked up to a higher gain tone. I mixed it down so you'll hear the same riff twice, can you tell which is the amp & cab vs. which is the amp & Torpedo CAB?

This is why I think Kemper should give us the option to make speaker IR's.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-owe…peaker-ir-vs-real-speaker

• I don't think you are. Including direct profiles (despite that I understand the reasons, live etc..) diluted the product enough.. why would anyone want to use IRs with Kemper I don't know.

IMHO there are two reasons.

1) If you want merged profiles you need to make a studio profile and a DA profile at each amp setting that you want, in other words, you need to make twice as many profiles. Then you need to copy and merge the cab from the studio profiles into the DA profiles. If you could make one IR then you would only need to make as many DA profiles as you want and then you can use the one IR with all of the DA profiles, it cuts down on a lot of work.

2) Anybody can make a perfect DA profile if they have a good DI box, but not everyone can make a perfect studio profile because of the expense of the equipment and the expertise required. So, imagine if the average Joe happens to have the amp that you always wanted but he has no idea how to mic an amp and he doesn't have good quality mics and preamps. IF he has a good DI box he can make a perfect DA profile (anybody can do it) and now you just need a good cab IR to use with it.