Include cab IR making directly in the Kemper.

• Rant: The "why would you want to do that" replys are really annoying, sorry. They are not helpful and non of us has setups that are similar. Some of us has different outboard connections, use their amps in many different situations, with different bands, as substitutes in even more bands, session work in different studios etc etc etc.....

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Rant: The "why would you want to do that" replys are really annoying, sorry. They are not helpful and non of us has setups that are similar. Some of us has different outboard connections, use their amps in many different situations, with different bands, as substitutes in even more bands, session work in different studios etc etc etc.....

Agreed. In general, I often think people are too quick to dismiss feature requests just because it doesn't suit them personally.

• While I consider IRs good tools, I believe that they should be considered a second choice in comparison to a profile (strictly from a quality POV), for the reasons Sam has explained: an IR can't take into account the dynamic behaviour of a loudspeaker (i.e., its amplitude response changes depending on the amp driving it).
    Basically, while the limitation of a profile is that it depends on the amp driving the cab, the limitation of an IR is that the cab model doesn't react according to the power amp.

In short, what I think is that IRs are not a bad idea, but Kemper have invested too much on profiling to invest further resources on something they have tried hard to improve.
    :)

• While I consider IRs good tools, I believe that they should be considered a second choice in comparison to a profile (strictly from a quality POV), for the reasons Sam has explained: an IR can't take into account the dynamic behaviour of a loudspeaker (i.e., its amplitude response changes depending on the amp driving it).
    Basically, while the limitation of a profile is that it depends on the amp driving the cab, the limitation of an IR is that the cab model doesn't react according to the power amp.

In short, what I think is that IRs are not a bad idea, but Kemper have invested too much on profiling to invest further resources on something they have tried hard to improve.
    :)

I posted a test recording that I made a few post back that shows how accurate IR's can be, can you tell which is the real mic'd cab and which is the IR?

That being said, maybe we shouldn't ask for the ability to make IR's with the Kemper, maybe we should ask for the ability to profile just the cab.

• I posted a test recording that I made a few post back that shows how accurate IR's can be, can you tell which is the real mic'd cab and which is the IR?

That being said, maybe we shouldn't ask for the ability to make IR's with the Kemper, maybe we should ask for the ability to profile just the cab.

I've a feeling that's down to Two Notes' internal jiggery pokery; I don't think you'd get the same results running through any common-or-garden IR loader. With that said though, I'm pretty sure that the Kemper team could get close to that, given how their Cab emulation already behaves, so why not?

• The way a profile is miced doesn't always meets my needs and I'm using a Two Notes Torpedo vb-101 with my Kemper and DI profiles and I'm really happy with it. IMO the non linear component included in vb-101, Studio and WOS III, makes a difference and is closer to the Kemper experience than using linear standard IRs.

Having the possibility to capture those IRs or real cabs would be awesome.

• Isn't there an IR converter in the downloads section?

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Isn't there an IR converter in the downloads section?

There is. But making the IR, deconvolving it etc etc is a combersombe process which you need to do in a computer with a soundcard etc etc. Could be SO much easier.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Yeah, I get it. The reason I asked is that I was genuinely curious. The way I use Kemper is about 10 profiles, 8 of them are made by myself from my own amps and the rest are made by friends. I do fool around with other profiles, have a lot of them, but very often it's like plugging into an amp someone else set up for their own guitar, or going into a studio after a band and plugging in into their setup then hit record. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
    I am also absolutely not interested in tweaking profiles beyond what I'd do with valve amp, I think I've changed definition a bit, twice.

Bottom line is, I believe what Kemper does well is profiling whole chain at one particular setting, direct profiles are a bonus to get feedback on stage. All other stuff, I think there is better hardware to do it, Two Notes etc.

• If being a purist in tone, to me the (3.0)
    Studio profiles, DI Amp & cab Profiles of a rig pack sound immense, it's amazing how real. But everytime I use the paste Cab from other 3.0 Merged pack for merging cab to other DI amp, it sounds not right to me...theres a changein Tone high and mid frequencies I don't
    like much, I rather don't/never hit Merging button then, anybody e
    lse experienced this?
    Using IR's are the next best way to go for me, using a lot of them in my kemper rack ..
    they sound amazing too with a Amp DI P. Don't we have cabmaker too ..

• If being a purist in tone, to me the (3.0)
    Studio profiles, DI Amp & cab Profiles of a rig pack sound immense, it's amazing how real. But everytime I use the paste Cab from other 3.0 Merged pack for merging cab to other DI amp, it sounds not right to me...theres a changein Tone high and mid frequencies I don't
    like much, I rather don't/never hit Merging button then, anybody e
    lse experienced this?
    Using IR's are the next best way to go for me, using a lot of them in my kemper rack ..
    they sound amazing too with a Amp DI P. Don't we have cabmaker too ..

Merging should only be done by the person who made the profile. It's specifically for separating the Cab from the Amp and for making the Merged profile of THE SAME amp (Direct Amp out through monitor out, Studio out through mains). To use a Cab from another profile on a DA/Merged profile, simply Copy/Paste. DO NOT HIT MERGE!!!

• Merging should only be done by the person who made the profile. It's specifically for separating the Cab from the Amp and for making the Merged profile of THE SAME amp (Direct Amp out through monitor out, Studio out through mains). To use a Cab from another profile on a DA/Merged profile, simply Copy/Paste. DO NOT HIT MERGE!!!

Oh.. Thx for this man,

• As this seems to be a common misconception (hitting merge more than once, directly after profiling the whole chain and the direct amp) I wonder if there could be some prevention mechanism built in, i.e. preventing a profile from being merged more than once.
    I wonder how many profiles exist right now already that sound 'strange' because of having been erroneously re-merged.

• Yeah, I get it. The reason I asked is that I was genuinely curious. The way I use Kemper is about 10 profiles, 8 of them are made by myself from my own amps and the rest are made by friends. I do fool around with other profiles, have a lot of them, but very often it's like plugging into an amp someone else set up for their own guitar, or going into a studio after a band and plugging in into their setup then hit record. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
    I am also absolutely not interested in tweaking profiles beyond what I'd do with valve amp, I think I've changed definition a bit, twice.

Bottom line is, I believe what Kemper does well is profiling whole chain at one particular setting, direct profiles are a bonus to get feedback on stage. All other stuff, I think there is better hardware to do it, Two Notes etc.

Maybe so - but not everyone can afford that stuff :) so IF there is a way to put it in a firmware update, then it would be very beneficial to these people

• There is. But making the IR, deconvolving it etc etc is a combersombe process which you need to do in a computer with a soundcard etc etc. Could be SO much easier.

If you guys are talking about Cab Maker it doesn't seem to be very accurate, the resulting cabs don't sound that bad but they are not nearly as accurate as going through the merging process.

• Here is a quick test that I did today. I made an IR of my cab with TwoNotes Torpedo Capture and loaded into my Torpedo CAB. Then I left the mic's in the exact same position and recorded the amp & cab into my DAW and I also ran the direct out of the amp into the Torpedo CAB and recorded it at the same time. I don't do cleans but I did start at a light crunch and worked up to a higher gain tone. I mixed it down so you'll hear the same riff twice, can you tell which is the amp & cab vs. which is the amp & Torpedo CAB?

This is why I think Kemper should give us the option to make speaker IR's.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-owe…peaker-ir-vs-real-speaker

They sound really almost identical. I'm quessing that the first one is a real cab and the second is Torpedo. Did you ever give the right answer to us @timowens ?

The ability to use impulse responses with Kemper would be very good since so many of profiles suffer from poor micing. And also because there are lots of great cabinet impulses available already from Ownhammer etc. Of course you could use the Cab Maker but it seem to change the sound of ir quite a bit.