Looking for an interface(reamping and RME Babyface pro related)

• Hi all,
    My Echo Audiofire just went kaput so I'm looking for a new interface.

The RME Babyface pro comes highly recommended. My question relates to whether anyone has used this interface to both record and reamp. The analog ins are supposed to be great but I'd also like the option of spdif for recording as well as reamping(I believe spdif is required for reamping?)

I am runnig into a 2011 Macbook pro.

This the RME babyface pro http://babyface.rme-audio.de/

"The comprehensive feature set continues with an optical TOSLINK I/O; use as either an ADAT port with SMUX support or SPDIF for sessions up to 192 kHz." I know that the kemper is coaxial spdif. So is the TOSLINK and coaxial compatible? Ie. will i be able to record and reamp using the babyface pro.

Also, any other recommendations of audio interfaces of the similar quality but cheaper would be welcome.

Cheers

• You really don't need spdif to reamp. It can be A BIT easier work-flow wise, but not necessarily. You can DEFINITELY use "regular" audio cables to reamp.

I think Toslink is optical, which isn't compatible with the kemper. Maybe you can get an adapter, but this seems a roundabout way of doing things :)

For something MUCH cheaper but still great quality, check out focusrite's "Saffire Pro" range - since you're on a mac, I'll assume you have a firewire port to connect this to. I don't know the quality of the RME interface, I'm sure it's great - but for sure you can get professional-quality results with the saffire stuff from focusrite. I have the saffire pro 24 myself.

• I dont know if hobbyist is the right word. I'm trying to release an album and in the next year or 2 I hope to do some small projects with other bands. The gear i have connected is the Kemper, the MBP and out to Yahama HS5. I do use a midi keyboard from time to time but thats about it.

There seem to be quite a few options in that range.
    UAD Apollo Twin solo
    Apogee Duet

Also I guess there is a conversion box for toslink to coax http://www.amazon.com/Digital-…l-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY

I just heard from some engineers that RME has the best AD convertors under 1000$. Which is why i went there.

• I can highly recommend the apogee duet. Very excellent mic pres and ad/da converters
    and rock solid drivers. The babyface is good but not so good as the duet and I had always problems with
    optical / coax connection. Maybe it was a problem with the converter.
    I have also the RME UC fireface. It's a great unit with spdif and is working without problems with my kemper.

• I can highly recommend the apogee duet. Very excellent mic pres and ad/da converters
    and rock solid drivers. The babyface is good but not so good as the duet and I had always problems with
    optical / coax connection. Maybe it was a problem with the converter.
    I have also the RME UC fireface. It's a great unit with spdif and is working without problems with my kemper.

I was under the impression that the apogee duet does not support spdif? is there a way around that?

BTW - I don't know how complex a toslink to coax is - but I'd be leary of buying a converter box for 20 bucks to use with a high quality interface

well spdif is a digital connection so i figured conversions are going to be standard. But i could be wrong.

Also, I'm moving around a lot right now so I don't really have money to spend on room treatments. I just carry my foam pads where I go and try to make the best of it. I appreciate the advise tho. Right now I need an interface badly so I'd just rather get one that will last me for more than my current purpose.:)

• All I know is the converters out-performed everything thrown at them in loop-back tests (graphs published) in this thread:

MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface - Gearslutz.com

The thread started a year ago, so there were only 3 interfaces in the line at the time. There are at least 6 now.

Subjectively, and without exception, everyone's been blown away by their performance.

• I have the older version of the babyface. It's been flawless so far and the analog sounds pretty darn good. So I haven't bothered with the toslink.

I also have a Macbook, but with the price point of the new ones, I wanted to get an interface that wasn't OS dependent. I'm thinking Windows next.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

• Go with the RME or for less money spending: MOTU. I am using these 2 brands for years, both rock solid.

Sound Engineer, Musician, Animal Rights Activist.

Fender '89 Clapton Strat, EMG DG20, KPA, Martin, SSL, Neve, Manley, Tube-Tech, Millennia, API, Lynx, RME, Avid, Apple, Adam...