Options for delay modulation

• It is a vibrato modulation, as usual.
    The Modulation knob controls the depth.
    The rate is automatically controlled to achieve a lush detune.

Why would a rate control be so advantageous?

• To me to modulation in Kemper sounds more like chorus than a vibrato that is found for example in Strymon Timeline or Boss DD-20:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The reason for the rate control would be because we all seem to have a little different opinion what would be the best rate.

• Couldn't agree more with citizengain about the Modulation feeling like a chorus. Had someone sit in using my gear at a show last week, he wanted no effects and just some reverb, we both kept hearing a chorus even though no effects were on. I finally dug in and killed the Delay modulation and the chorus(?) went away. I've now set it to zero on all my higher gain patches..

• I'm still confused. Isn't a chorus just a vibratoed signal mixed with the dry signal? Isn't that what you get when you have a vibratoed delay?

Why would a rate control be so advantageous?

As with all requests like this (like the one for continuous adjustment of Rotary Speaker speed), more control = more sounds. If someone wants a delay with fast vibrato, why foreclose that option, assuming it's not resource intensive? An effect that doesn't seem "useful" today may be tomorrow's must-have sound. Actually, it would be fun if the KPA allowed stomp FX (distortion, EQ, pitch shift, etc.) to be applied to the delayed signal, although I recognize that would introduce the kind of routing complexity that you've tried to avoid.

• I'm still confused. Isn't a chorus just a vibratoed signal mixed with the dry signal? Isn't that what you get when you have a vibratoed delay?

As with all requests like this (like the one for continuous adjustment of Rotary Speaker speed), more control = more sounds. If someone wants a delay with fast vibrato, why foreclose that option, assuming it's not resource intensive? An effect that doesn't seem "useful" today may be tomorrow's must-have sound. Actually, it would be fun if the KPA allowed stomp FX (distortion, EQ, pitch shift, etc.) to be applied to the delayed signal, although I recognize that would introduce the kind of routing complexity that you've tried to avoid.

I think chorus and vibrato are two different effects. Vibrato changes the pitch of the original signal, or when talking about delay trails, the vibrato changes the pitch of the delay trails. Chorus however is different and explained in this quote:
    "The chorus effect is based upon a short delay. Incoming audio is split and run through the delay, then mixed with the original audio and sent to the effect's output. With short delay times (20 to 50ms), the delayed audio blends with the original audio instead of creating a distinct echo. To add movement, chorus effects slowly modulate the delay time with a low-frequency oscillator (LFO). As the LFO cycles the delay time up and down, the delayed audio shifts up and down in pitch by a little bit."

So, I agree with you that a short delay with vibrato applied on it's trails would be something like a chorus. But with longer delay times, for example 300-600ms, it doesn't sound like chorus anymore.

And furthermoere, vibrato and chorus sound different, no matter are they applied on the main signal, or on the delay trails.

• it would be fun if the KPA allowed stomp FX (distortion, EQ, pitch shift, etc.) to be applied to the delayed signal

IMHO any pre-delay-fx is automatically part of the delay trails as it is part of the signal chain which hits the delay.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• IMHO any pre-delay-fx is automatically part of the delay trails as it is part of the signal chain which hits the delay.

I'm guessing burningyen means apply to the delayed signal EXCLUSIVELY. E.g. so only the delays are pitch shifted, not the dry signal. Maybe he also means application of the effect to each individual delay "tap", so e.g. each delay is progressively higher in pitch.

• IMHO any pre-delay-fx is automatically part of the delay trails as it is part of the signal chain which hits the delay.

Adding delay to a modulated sound vs. adding modulation to the delayed sound are two different things. The feature of adding different kinds of modulation effects to the delay trails is a very common practice and it is a feature that has been in countless rack and stomp box delay devices since the legendary Electro Harmonix Memory Man, TC Electronic 2290 and Korg SSD-3000.

As an example of vibrato in the delay trails, listen to the first bars of this song:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think chorus and vibrato are two different effects.

if you look at the origin of thise effects/names, yes.
    A chorus effect - like the name implies - happens when more than one performer plays the same phrase at the same time, subtle shifts in timing and pitch between the two (or more) create a lush sound.
    Vibrato is achieved by periodically changing the pitch and returning to the original pitch.

The electronic versions of these effects however are created the same way:
    If you take a chorus stompbox (a real one) you can disable the dry signal by cutting the right wire/component or inserting a switch in the right place and you now have a vibrato unit.
    A chorus can have more than one voice, making it more complex than a vibrato, but the same principles apply.