Audio Interface Recommendations?

• I've had a MOTU 8pre for close to about 7 years now.  It has never let me down.  The preamps in it sound great and it works like a champ.  8 1/4" or XLR ins, optical for whatever you use optical for, phone out, and two monitor outs.  However, those monitor outs just send a line level out, so they can be used for reamping.  I've been debating going to the Apogee Quartet, but, as a Kemper owner now, I feel like I need something with SPDIF built-in, and, unfortunately, while it's a stellar interface, it lacks that.  That's ok though, those Focusrite Scarlett interfaces are nice (and much cheaper).

What about the AVB line? Surely there's something there you could use?

I keep bangin' on about it, but that line of interfaces has set a new price vs performance bar, IMHO.

• What about the AVB line? Surely there's something there you could use?

I keep bangin' on about it, but that line of interfaces has set a new price vs performance bar, IMHO.

Yeah, I've been checking them out after your recommendation. They get consistently good reviews on the webz, especially the converters. I need something as portable as possible, so really the Ultralite is my only option. In that range, I'm more drawn to the Apollo Twin, due to the Thunderbolt connection and the USB ports on my new MacBook Pro being at a premium (I know I could carry a thunderbolt-Ethernet adaptor around with me, but again, I'd like it to be as simple as possible. Hell, I'm even thinking Scarlett 2i2 because it can be buss powered! :-D).

@guenterhaas thanks! You've kicked it up a notch on my list. I came from RME, too, back in the day (Hammerfall HDSP PCI - Multiface), so if the converters stand up to RMEs, I'm happy.

• I used to work with the RME Fireface 400, now I'm using the Apollo Twin Duo, both interfaces have excellent converters. The Apollo is state-of-the-art and and it's running fast and stable via Thunderbolt on my Macs. Of course one big advantage is the option to use UAD-plugins.

I agree UAD plugins rock love my Lexicon 244 Reverb. Rocks

2 x Folreden Relic Strats - Folreden Les Paul - Kemper Stage - Cubase Pro13 - Suhr Classic S

• What about the AVB line? Surely there's something there you could use?

The 828mk3 is one of the only ones that has S/PDIF. I like it a lot, but, for the price, Focusrite's got my attention. That, plus the 828 doesn't have the nice preamps's that the 8pre has. I dunno. It's a pipe dream for now anyway.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Cool brah.

You did check the AVB line, I take it? I'm referring specifically to the first 8 interfaces on this page:

MOTU.com - Products

MOTU tweaked the ADAT optical I/O on the units to accept S/PDIF through a firmware update. Don't know if that helps you. The mic preamps on those 8 new units (where available) are apparently better than the 828's too...

Whatever you go for, good luck with it and knock 'em dead... I mean, break a leg... I mean, knock 'em dead with your broken leg, Doug!

• I did check those, but I wasn't aware that the optical ports accepted S/PDIF. That's interesting. I'd still need some sort of RCA -> Optical converter, and that bugs me. I work from home, so my office is also my studio, so it's just packed to the brim; I'd like to avoid extra boxes at all costs :)

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky

• A couple of these would do the trick, although you'll need a couple of extra power sockets for the power supplies. I'd only realistically need the spdif inputs for reamping, as I've been recording using the analogue outs so far and with no concerns. Although I'm considering sticking with my analogue workflow, also for reamping. It only means a few extra cables, after all.

• Anyone running the Scarlett 18i20 or 18i8, that would have some input. Read a lot of pro and con info on the web in regards to the 18i20. TIA

Never mind, couldn't wait and bought an 18i20 already. We'll see how it goes up from a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra with driver glitches.

Edited once, last by Zapman ().

• I did check those, but I wasn't aware that the optical ports accepted S/PDIF. That's interesting. I'd still need some sort of RCA -> Optical converter, and that bugs me. I work from home, so my office is also my studio, so it's just packed to the brim; I'd like to avoid extra boxes at all costs :)

Gee, I didn't even know one could buy these until you and Sam mentioned this.

Yeah, they were originally ADAT only, but after requests in that huge thread the devs managed to work their magic and implement it. Kinda cool.

• Any idea if this would work on the 8pre? I've got the latest firmware, though it's not been updated in several years. Heck, you can't even download 8pre firmware from their site any longer.

Strange that they consider this such a great product, and have even done a cosmetic update on it in the last couple years, but it looks almost like it's going into legacy.

• Anyone running the Scarlett 18i20 or 18i8, that would have some input. Read a lot of pro and con info on the web in regards to the 18i20. TIA

Never mind, couldn't wait and bought an 18i20 already. We'll see how it goes up from a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra with driver glitches.

Hi Zapman. Have you hooked up the 18i20 yet? I´m a bit curious since I plan to buy either the 18i20 or the saffire pro 40 myself (running pro tools on a 2010 Mac/Yosemite)
    ... Mads

• Hi Zapman. Have you hooked up the 18i20 yet? I´m a bit curious since I plan to buy either the 18i20 or the saffire pro 40 myself (running pro tools on a 2010 Mac/Yosemite)
    ... Mads

Nope, should have it early next week. Will be using it with Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7.

• Any idea if this would work on the 8pre? I've got the latest firmware, though it's not been updated in several years. Heck, you can't even download 8pre firmware from their site any longer.

Strange that they consider this such a great product, and have even done a cosmetic update on it in the last couple years, but it looks almost like it's going into legacy.

Sorry, Doug, but I'm in the dark about that unit. I know the line well from the first 2408mkI right through to the 24I/O as I've owned most of them, as well as the MIDI units. There's a gap between the 24I/O's release date and the AVB offerings in my knowledge 'though... and I only know what I've read about the AVB line, although progress in paying off the lay-buy is steadily progressing...

One thing's for sure - regardless of whether or not you can achieve this through a FW update, MOTU will support your unit with its drivers. As far as I know, its entire audio interface line, right back to the first unit released in the '90s, is and will continue to be supported. MOTU's great this way. Even projects created in Performer in 1984 on the Mac can still be loaded into Digital performer today on the Mac... or even PC! Incredible. I know of no other software company, audio or otherwise, that provides this sort of legacy support.

EDIT: Hopefully Kemper will follow suit!

• Nope, should have it early next week. Will be using it with Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7.

Hooked it up last night and everything went well. Got SPDIF coming into Pro Tools just fine. I like the MixControl Software as the routing and mixes are pretty much limitless compared to the Fast Track Ultra software. In regards to the problems stated on the internet with firmware upgrade problems, everything went smooth in that regard. So far so good but haven't really scratched the surface yet.

• Thank's Zapman for getting back with this. I've been thinking about this interface since they came on the market, but never got to the purchase. I think I'll go buy one (either 18i20 or pro 40) and then use my mbox 3 on the go instead ;) Looking forward to record some with this interface .. maybe even pair it with the octopre of which I have heard good things about.

• Thank's Zapman for getting back with this. I've been thinking about this interface since they came on the market, but never got to the purchase. I think I'll go buy one (either 18i20 or pro 40) and then use my mbox 3 on the go instead ;) Looking forward to record some with this interface .. maybe even pair it with the octopre of which I have heard good things about.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!!

• Ok, so I just ordered a Saffire Pro 24 off Amazon, as it was only £150 with next day delivery. That'll suit me fine for rough sketches or reamping sessions using the KPA at home. I've used a Pro 40 on a project before, so I know the software mixer/router fairly well. It's no Total Mix, but it'll get the job done fairly painlessly. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. When I get another studio sometime in the next few months, I'll be looking at that Motu AVB line for sure!