Audio Interface Recommendations?

• I'm a big Focusrite fan, have been using their interfaces since many many years. I'm still convinced that they are very good bang for the buck. And I do like the MixControl software. But ...

I think it's fair to mention one big downside of the Focusrite interfaces. Their MixControl software has no MIDI control capabilities at all. This is something you get with CueMix (MOTU) or TotalMix (RME) ... although it can be pretty tricky to set it up with any given controller.

Cheers
    Martin

• Old thread, I know, but gear debates never grow old...

I've not used the Focusrite stuff (tho I love the red color!) and def not the SSL desk, but I swear by the RME stuff, both for Mac and Windows. Sounds bloody fantastic and the lowest latency, plus rock-solid sync to other interfaces, e.g., ADAT.

Currently I use:
    - RME Fireface UFX - connects to Mac via USB2, and I typically use 128 sample buffers.
    - RME ADI-DS - 8x8 audio i/o at 96k; connects to the Fireface via four ADAT cables (2 for in, 2 for out, since ADAT runs at 48KHz)

Decades ago when I was on Windows I used their PCI cards and Cardbus cards for laptop, which drove their DigiFace and FireFace i/o boxes. Rock solid, even back in the day when everything else was not.

Recently I was looking to get a simple 1x2 or 2x2 i/f and considered the Apogee Duet, but the reviews I saw preferred the RME Babyface and Babyface Pro, for connectivity and sound transparency (Apogee converters have a def color, which some like, some don't), but the Apogee can be had for cheaper.

Caveat Emperor (or something like that)

-- jdm