How do you set up your live sound ?

• Hey guys!

It's been a while, but now i was getting curious about the following topic.
    While i was organizing my perfomances for the next gig, i wondered how you dial in your tone for the live use.

I got a dxr12, headphones, in ear stuff and yamaha studio monitors, and i was not sure, what would be the best way, to get the best possible sound on stage (direct frfr).

How do you do it ;) ?

• Play at gig volume. Listen. Tweak gain, stack EQ and FX. Repeat.

Agreed - this is the ideal way to set up the rigs for live use.

If you cannot set up all of your rigs at stage volume, be sure to volume and tone balance your main distortion and clean sounds at stage volume. Then, you can volume and tone balance your other sounds with these two main rigs, at a quieter volume.

• As you already own in ear suff I'd go that route. I'd preselect and pretweak rigs at home through studio monitors or something similar and then do the final tweaks at gig/rehearsal volume through your PA, because this is the signal you'll get when using in ear.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I use multi-track recordings from practise sessions to dial in my tone/rigs. What sounds excellent on its own doesn't always work in a mix. Multi-track-recordings played back through a mixing console and a pair of studio monitors gives me endless possibilities to experiment with my sound.

On stage I use IEMs if there is a soundman that is comfortable with mixing for IEMs, or if there is a digital console with remote-control-features that will let me handle my own IEM mix. If not I use a wedge (Dynacord AXM12A) that receive the front mix, but without drums and my own guitar, on one channel and monitor-out from the KPA on the other. The KPAs main outs are detached from the main volume which only is used to adjust the level of my guitar in the monitor. Add drums to the monitor mix for the wedge if an electronic kit is used.

What works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone else though.

Edited once, last by heldal ().