Better tuner display.

• I think a strobe (or any similar form) would be better because the current incarnation doesn't give you an exact indication of perfect tune: you have to evaluate "by eye" the position of the bubble, while the strobe freezing would be like when you use artificial harmonics to tune two strings with each other: no vibration, no beats :)

• Exactly! Strobe tuners give you a better tuning result! Fact! Needle or LED style tuners are useless in a studio environment. I use a Peterson Autostrobe 590. Work 3 times faster, because you won't have to listen back for tuning issues. Those beats drove me nuts! You can't reproduce relatively in tune, but you can reproduce absolutely in tune with the right tuner and that is a must have for double tracking guitars!

• +1

Possibly a couple of options in terms of the graphic would be nice as well

this! :thumbup:

3 options would be great and everybody happy. if the sun is shining i cannot see the bubble very well. i personally prefer a line with green and red leds.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Ingolf, ever heard of Conn tuners??? They've been around longer than rock'n'roll... Ever seen that red blinking thing on Gilmour's amps? What do you think these guys used in the studio?

I'm not blaming anyone that can't hear the difference, but please don't flame people that do hear it! On many LED style tuners one LED stands for 10 Cents! 10!!! And that is the one right next to the green all in tune one... In other words: your tuning is spot on until it's 10 Cents flat or sharp. . I don't have the time, nor the nerves to f__k around with stuff like that in the studio. I don't want my heavy double tracks to sound like I put a chorus on them. Sure, the Stones might have tuned to a piano by ear... If that's what YOU wanna do, go for it! But I stand my ground! LED and needle style tuners are useless in a studio environment! And I somehow get the feeling that you, sir, have never tuned with a real, mechanical strobe tuner. . If you did, you would know what I'm talkin about. No hard feelings! =)

Spending 2000 Euros on a Kemper and tracking guitars tuned with a 10 Euro LED tuner just doesn't add up in my world!

• @ManuTheDude: So you feel offended or flamed by me?
    Wow! Howzat?
    I didn't question the usefulness of the request, still your statement about non strobe tuners to me sounds exaggerated.
    And yes, I've used all kinds of tuners incl. (to this day) Peterson strobo ones. ;)

• Maybe it's because I HATE tuning up! I just hate it! I remember recording a whole album with a Korg stomp tuner. Double tracking of course. That LED screen is so jumpy... It took you forever to get the green and only the green LED to light up. And even after it was all green you played a chord and there were the beats. So I tuned it forever to the jumpy LED thing and then used harmonis to get it in tune. But that green light was sometimes 3cents off, sometimes 3 in the other direction... It was that record when I got the 590 and all my problems were solved. that LED stuff is okay for live use. And even live I use a Peterson Stomp Classic, which still isn't as acurate asthe mechanical strobe. If they did a mechanical stomp tuner that fits on a pedalboard, I would pay 800+ for it ASAP!

I didn't mean to come on to you like that, Ingolf. But when I think of all these horrible jumpy Korgs and Bosses etc. I used to deal with... Aaaaah!

• Exactly! Strobe tuners give you a better tuning result! Fact! Needle or LED style tuners are useless in a studio environment. I use a Peterson Autostrobe 590. Work 3 times faster, because you won't have to listen back for tuning issues. Those beats drove me nuts! You can't reproduce relatively in tune, but you can reproduce absolutely in tune with the right tuner and that is a must have for double tracking guitars!

I think the tuning problems when tracking end up having more to due with the temperament of the tuning. As we all know a guitar is a 'just' tempered instrument versus a 'true' tempered instrument. In the real world this means that the guitar tuning will always be a compromise of what is exactly the right frequency and interval for two notes versus what divides evenly on the guitar fretboard. As a result of this what is exactly in tune will depend on what else is on the track and what are the predominate intervals being played in chord voicing's. I make very small tuning adjustments when tracking depending on the song and things such as predominately open stings versus predominately fretted intervals that are more inclined to create the mis-tuned effects you refer to.

• I think there's probably a happy medium in terms of accuracy. I have a Peterson Strobe tuner and its difficult I find to use live as its TOO ACCURATE. You have to realise that a guitar will never be truly fully in tune and then decide on a tool that gets you to the degree that you require.

From that point of view it would be nice to possibly have a few options in terms of the type and accuracy of the tuner.

This should be possible as the processor when tuning is just on the tuner or playing a rig and the tuner as far as I know ? I've never tried it while playing as I have it set to mute for between songs.

• I think there's probably a happy medium in terms of accuracy. I have a Peterson Strobe tuner and its difficult I find to use live as its TOO ACCURATE. You have to realise that a guitar will never be truly fully in tune and then decide on a tool that gets you to the degree that you require.

From that point of view it would be nice to possibly have a few options in terms of the type and accuracy of the tuner.

This should be possible as the processor when tuning is just on the tuner or playing a rig and the tuner as far as I know ? I've never tried it while playing as I have it set to mute for between songs.

I have a Peterson Strobe clip on, TC Electronic Polytune 2 and old Korg and a few others lying around. I rarely use the strobe. I do use the tempered tuning settings on the Peterson on acoustic guitars, you get anal, you find yourself forever tuning, once tuned I unclip it :)

Like you I find the strobe too finicky for a live gig. I use the TC in Meter mode only live, it's quick and accurate. Like a few other have said the bubble on the Kemper is too difficult to see even on the foot pedal, especially so under lights!

Red - Green - Red stands out nicely. As long as you can adjust the overall pitch and the sensitivity it's all that's needed IMO - Also let's not forget the Kemper is an amp, not a dedicated tuner :)

Steve

• I play Tom Anderson electrics with Buzz Feiten tuning, and for me the tuner is almost usless. I use Peterson Strobostomp, and have no problem using it live. I wish it was possible to make presets with cents on the tuner, but i think it never will happen..

• Great idea the color change!

Like it very much - and should be possible to impleent.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Can the KPA do colour characters though ? The text is always in black I thought and the background colour changes to a single colour only.... Hope I'm wrong on this....anyone ?