The shut down procedure. What if there is a power outage.

• Before a gig, with my, and my fellow guitarist both kempers on, the main fuse of the club blew...
    My collegue his kemper restarted without any problem...
    It took about 5-10 minutes before mine restarted...
    I can assure you that I almost .... my pants...
    I can also assure you that next gig the Kemper will have his own UPS...

• Not sure how that happened, the Kemper goes through the same shut down procedure regardless of how power stops going to it, maybe it was a spoke that got to yours? I have a Furman and that's about all I feel I need. I looked into getting a UPS but decided it wouldn't be much help, only thing it does is prolong doing the same exact thing a power outage does and then only for a short while.

• One would think it wise to turn everything off, amps, console, lighting and anything effected by the power outage. Once power is restored follow the power up proceedure ... Computers, keyboards, guitar amps, mixing consoles, power amps and finally lighting. Just to be safe

• There was something written by the Kemper team regarding this question some time back. They said while it is OK to just remove power from the unit with out formally shutting it down each time. You should still go through the proper shutdown every so often as this performs some low level cleanup when it runs the shutdown scripts. This is an linux operating system under the hood and like mac and windows and most other computers it is always best to allow the system to do its formal shutdown process rather than just dropping power on it.

• the Kemper goes through the same shut down procedure regardless of how power stops going to it

This is not a correct statement. Removing power from the mains versus turning the chicken-head switch to off does not result in the same shutdown process running internally. Just like a PC pulling the plug and running 'shutdown' are not the same operation.

• I wonder about that? When you shut down a computer it goes through a sequence of events and then kills power, does the Kemper behave in the same manner? Does it do a shut down proceedure? I don't recall seeing any information about that in the users manual.

My main concern with shutting the equipment down is the potential for voltage spikes upon main power flash up. Also if gear isn't turned on in the correct sequence you could induce some nasty pops and noises through the PA which depending on the db of said spikes could damage equipment or hearing.

• I wonder about that? When you shut down a computer it goes through a sequence of events and then kills power, does the Kemper behave in the same manner? Does it do a shut down proceedure? I don't recall seeing any information about that in the users manual.

Yes, the Kemper has a shutdown process (like a pc) then it removes power if shutdown from the chicken-head. I don't think it is formally documented in the manual but it definitely has a shutdown procedure internally.

• I have my Kemper connected to a power conditioner for months and simply turn off the power conditioner without touching the chicken knob on the KPA. Never had a single problem with this pocedure.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I thought the Kemper doesn't really shit down the 2-3 seconds that it says on the screen when you turn it off I thought was there because in the early KPA days some people actually turned the KPA off when switching to tuner, so this was a precaution just incase this happens. But I maybe wrong

Yes, this is true, most of the shutting down time as shown on the countdown graphic is a delay to allow you to catch such an error. However it still does run a shutdown procedure if shutdown through the knob.