Micro pitch with adjustable pitch L and R and delay

• Thank you. will give it a go.

I am guessing that I could also get less static chorus sounds by using something like the dual delay and setting a slightly different ms delay time on each side then using the chorus setting although you don’t have any way of absolutely controlling the chorus this way as it would be set the same for both delays?

Cheers for the input.

• It's there since quite a while.

Where are the creative brains here on the forum?

Well, just tried this Dual Chromatic. To be honest, It’s not quite there for SPX90 Pitch C setting.

Now, if you changed the delay pitch to cents rather than semitones, we can then choose the different micro pitch on ‘each’ side that is needed. That should be it then. ?
    Thanks so much for the input. This is much closer but needs that different cents setting on each side to really make it work.

• Well, a few observations after playing around with the Dual Chromatic Delay.
    After setting up a Micro Pitch sound, the preset completely freaks out if you use Flutter settings of Flutter Intensity 4.6 and Flutter Rate of 3.9.
    if you want the full settings that made this happen it was

all the settings across the top of the screen are at default settings.

Mix 100.0/100.0

Delay 1. 4ms

Delay 2. 9ms

Delay balance. 0.0

Feedback 1. 0%

Feedback 2..............

Low Cut. 20.6hz

High Cut. 33488.1hz

Delay 1 pitch. 0

Delay 2 pitch. 0

Pitch Detune. 9.2ct

Reverse Mix. 0%

Stereo. 100%

Chorus. 0.0

Cross feedback. 0.0

Modulation. 0.0

Flutter Intensity. 4.6

Flutter Rate. 3.9

Input Swell. 0%

Smear. 0%

Ducking. 0%

This was my final preset. Just where it was when it started freaking out.

After playing a short while, the left and right delay times distort and the preset randomly spits out longer delays and distortion. Turning Flutter Intensity to 0.0 stops this. Seemed to work ok at lower settings. Shame, as it sounded nice at those setting but I can’t use the flutter part of the delay.
    Also, for this to be useful for dual pitch or dual chorus, it needs a volume control at the end of the line. For this particular pitch setting, I am using them at 100% mix so the preset ends up louder with no way to control its overall volume. Same when used as a dual chorus.

So, although this delay block is kind of usable, it needs the delay pitch 1 and 2 to be able to do cents as well as semitones. One Pitch Detune setting does not replicate the sound of two separate settings.
    It needs a master volume at the end of the line.
    it could possible do with some pan controls too.
    in my defence for not coming across these settings in the delay blocks from initially using the micro pitch block, I had just moved from using the AX8 live to the Stage and had 22 songs to program in straight away before our next fly gigs. So, naturally, when I was looking for micro pitch, I liked at the Micro Pitch settings. ? Same with the Chorus sounds I was working on.
    Would be great if you could look at these couple of things and have them added to an extended Micro Pitch setting.

• I will have a look at Flutter problem.

Did you try Modulation?

I know that many players advise to have different pitch offsets for each side.

But while I have both sides detuned in opposite ways anyway, why would I want to have one side constantly more detuned as the other side, and on top of that, create a bias on the overall average tuning of my instrument?

In your case it would be +1 cent.

• Well, we will have to agree to disagree about the different pitch on each side. ? I will say that the famous Yamaha Pitch C setting was all over most big records coming out of LA in the late 80’s. It was on millions and millions of albums sold. It really does not sound weighted to one side pitch wise. It really thickens the sound.

Yes, I tried the modulation in that block. I worked on a nice dual chorus patch straight after that pitch one. Still missed the overall volume adjustment at the end to bring the volume jump down but there are definitely some nice results in there.

Going to explore all the pitch/delay blocks with a view to chorus sounds over the next few days.
    Thanks for the pointers. Really appreciate it. ?

• Well, we will have to agree to disagree about the different pitch on each side. ? I will say that the famous Yamaha Pitch C setting was all over most big records coming out of LA in the late 80’s. It was on millions and millions of albums sold. It really does not sound weighted to one side pitch wise. It really thickens the sound.

Yes, I tried the modulation in that block. I worked on a nice dual chorus patch straight after that pitch one. Still missed the overall volume adjustment at the end to bring the volume jump down but there are definitely some nice results in there.

Going to explore all the pitch/delay blocks with a view to chorus sounds over the next few days.
    Thanks for the pointers. Really appreciate it. ?

I am always trying not to take over artifacts from the past that are taken over by generations without questioning it.

I tried separate tunings in the past and I questioned it.

With low differences it did not make an audible difference.

With large differences it had a bias to one side.

The detune thickens the sound, of course. But it's not the difference that makes the thick sound. 11 and 13 cent is too subtile.

It's the different direction (+-) for each side that does the trick.

This is why I chosed a single "Detune" control for all pitch shifters that goes in opposite direction (no option), without having a bias to one side.

Easy to use without having to learn at first place why to set it that way ...

• Yes, absolutely agree. Totally. I would never set two of them to a plus or two of them to a minus. It has to be a plus and minus with the pitch detunes but offsetting these slightly is just really nice.

You can do this with a 3 osc synth and osc. 2 and 3 panned left and right. Main osc set flat then say -7 and +11 for osc 2 and 3. It sounds different then just a setting of - and + 9. Now, bring in a subtle delay difference on each side and it really makes the sound pop.

I understand where you are coming from that it has to be a plus and minus. I meant this all along anyway. That is how I have always used this.
    Once again thanks for the input. ?

• I know you have got bigger priorities right now but the delay section of the Chromatic Delay seems strange on these shorter delays. I am hearing distinct slap back when using just 4ms and 9ms. It’s coming back sounding like it’s around 50ms. Is this due to the processing time for the pitch? Seems to be even noticeable when they are set to 0ms while the Micro Pitch is obviously fine at that setting.
    So, unfortunately, the Chromatic Pitch seems not to be the answer now.

• The reason might be that the Profiler Pitch Shifter is an intelligent pitch shifter that syncs the delay portions to the pitch being played, in difference to early pitch shifters such as in the SPX 90.

This is not a matter of calculation power, but of too much „intelligence“ in the pitch shifter and too much guessing for a micro pitch.

I will have a look to make it less intelligent.

• The reason might be that the Profiler Pitch Shifter is an intelligent pitch shifter that syncs the delay portions to the pitch being played, in difference to early pitch shifters such as in the SPX 90.

This is not a matter of calculation power, but of too much „intelligence“ in the pitch shifter and too much guessing for a micro pitch.

I will have a look to make it less intelligent.

Hey Chris,

has there been any modifications to the effects to get this Pitch detune sound? I really would like to be able to use it. I do a great deal of Landau tunes and this pitch effect is really a big deal in this music.