Les Paul 2015

• PS. I don't think I've ever had a Gibson that stayed in tune for several songs:)
    Mike

I've never owned an actual Gibson but I do like the LP shape / design / sound. For this reason, I have a PRS Stripped '58 and a Tokai LS165 Goldtop with a pair of P90's. Both were cheaper than US made Gibsons (in the case of the Tokai, by a big margin), both are wonderfully finished and both stay in tune for several days with a set of 10's on them. Well, obviously depends how you hit them but seriously - I can put either of them down after playing for an hour, go away with work for a week, pick them up. And they surprise me if they're NOT in tune. Sure they drift if the weather changed substantially but otherwise? They'll be pretty much where I left them..... If you've got a great guitar with strings that are new-ish (i.e. stretched in but still good) then IMO your tuning shouldn't be giving you so much hassle.

Whilst I agree with others opinions here about getting the nut looked at, I did have one guitar which was woeful with tuning no matter what. It was a Chinese made Eastwood that was an old Mosrite clone. I bought it unseen and got my fingers burnt. This isn't me complaining about all Chinese guitars / Far East builds because I've got a couple of G&L Tributes and a Burny - all are great guitars for the price paid. The Eastwood did indeed go out of tune during songs. I can do setups to an extent but I'm no professional and it was beyond me. I had a new nut put on it and a full set up from a guy I trust locally that has set up other guitars perfectly. It beat him too. The neck profile changed with the wind and consequently so did the playability and, of course, the tuning would go out. That was a naughty guitar that no longer lives here. I hope that with your guitar it's just the nut that needs sorting and, for an expensive US made guitar, that's likely to be the case :)

Good luck whatever you decide :)

• It's not the maple top that's not flush with the body, it's the binding that hasn't been sand papered flush with the body..
    Every Gibson including Custom Shop models have a ridge between the body binding and body wood and neck binding and neck wood.

Ah good to know. I'm not that familiar with Gibsons. I have to say though, that ridge makes me feel like it's of cheaper quality, I'm used to flush bindings.

• Ah good to know. I'm not that familiar with Gibsons. I have to say though, that ridge makes me feel like it's of cheaper quality, I'm used to flush bindings.

I used to walk around NAMM and wonder why the inexpensive Samick guitars would have far superior binding work than ANYTHING at the Gibson booth.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Just got a 58 Special, refinished by Gibson. Just amazing. Everything about it is awesome. The P90s are just killer.

I had a R9, and just opening up and comparing the cavities, the parts, the feel, the Special is superior in every way. For a budget guitar this sure doesn't feel budget. It's basically a 58 built from the same wood and parts, without a top so there you go.

I wouldn't buy a modern Gibson again based on current offerings. Although Henry has said that he's going to go back to 2011 specs so hopefully they're looking to restore some brand integrity. That being said, there will of course be many many great offerings from them, it's just quite expensive.

• Obviously, I replaced the G-Force tuning system with original Gibson vintage Kluson tuners and the AWFUL brass / chocolate nut has been replaced with a bone nut (Private luthier work, only £25).
    :)

I have a Les Paul Traditional 2015 with G-Force and of course the brass nut. The guitar is now sent to my local dealer for replacing the brass nut with new nickel plated nut. I guess brass isn't good material for this particular models with auto tuners. It's just too soft. The brass nut has grooves after playing the guitar for about 5 months. It causes a pinging noise when bending the strings. It's a common issue and as far as I know Gibson replaces brass nuts with the new one.

However I am considering to put one day normal tuners and replacing the nut with bone nut. I'm very interested how does it look on your LP Studio. Did you put a normal bone nut? I mean was it from a store or did your luthier made it especially for your guitar? I think the nut in 2015 models is a little bit wider than older nuts in Les Pauls. I would be very grateful if you could make a photo of your new nut in LP and put here a link.

P.S. Sorry for my English. I'm not fluent :)

• I have a Les Paul Traditional 2015 with G-Force and of course the brass nut. The guitar is now sent to my local dealer for replacing the brass nut with new nickel plated nut. I guess brass isn't good material for this particular models with auto tuners. It's just too soft. The brass nut has grooves after playing the guitar for about 5 months. It causes a pinging noise when bending the strings. It's a common issue and as far as I know Gibson replaces brass nuts with the new one.

However I am considering to put one day normal tuners and replacing the nut with bone nut. I'm very interested how does it look on your LP Studio. Did you put a normal bone nut? I mean was it from a store or did your luthier made it especially for your guitar? I think the nut in 2015 models is a little bit wider than older nuts in Les Pauls. I would be very grateful if you could make a photo of your new nut in LP and put here a link.

Hi Tomasz, welcome to Kemper forums, I see this was your first post :)

• I have a Les Paul Traditional 2015 with G-Force and of course the brass nut. The guitar is now sent to my local dealer for replacing the brass nut with new nickel plated nut. I guess brass isn't good material for this particular models with auto tuners. It's just too soft. The brass nut has grooves after playing the guitar for about 5 months. It causes a pinging noise when bending the strings. It's a common issue and as far as I know Gibson replaces brass nuts with the new one.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to you, I suffer from a spinal issue and I've been pretty bad recently (and also in hospital).

Go to my website to see the pics : http://www.livewirestudio.co.uk
    go to the 'LINKS' page, then select the link 'MY 2015 USA GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO CUSTOMISATION'. The pics of the work I have done / had done are there.
    Hope this helps.

Ray.

Pro Tools 2019, Logic X, Cubasis pro 10.5, Kemper unpowered toaster, Champman ML2, USA/UK Custom Fender Strat. Livewire Studio. :thumbup:

Check out : http://www.livewirestudio.co.uk

• Interestingly, 2016 models do not have GForce tuners anymore and they have a lubricated graphtech (classic) nut.

I think 2015 was a bad year for Gibson, a lot of poor marketing decisions. It seems that they will undo a lot of it in 2016.

• Sorry it's taken so long to reply to you, I suffer from a spinal issue and I've been pretty bad recently (and also in hospital).

Go to my website to see the pics : http://www.livewirestudio.co.uk
    go to the 'LINKS' page, then select the link 'MY 2015 USA GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO CUSTOMISATION'. The pics of the work I have done / had done are there.
    Hope this helps.

Ray.

Thank you very much indeed. The pics are very helpful.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Tomasz