Public Beta 3.1.0

• The thing ab high-gain is that pure cab clearly changes the frequency response, and if you want the same djent and punch and fizz you cant just set it and forget it. You need to eq a bit afterwards sometimes.

I hear the 8-bit thing that DL is talking about. And i agreed 100% at first. But after setting it and trying lots of rigs, i felt like the sounds i was getting sounded like an amp in the room, not digital processing on top of a mic'ed cab. Switching on/off, the most obvious change is in the highs, and it can often sounds kind of fake. But switching back to pure cab off, you can hear all the noisiness and phasing and crap that comes along with micing. Pure cab def has more "body" but seems to have less character. I havent tried yet but i wonder how tweaking the cabs Character param sounds with pure cab on.

Im not trying to defend pure cab. There are several rigs i a/b'ed where pure cab off was clearly preferable. On the whole i think its great. But a per rig setting will be great.

Some of you may like a phasy sound. Pure cab seems designed to eliminate that, so if thats your thing you are going to want to keep it off.

• - Amp in the room sound = Unusable for recording or live

for playing on your own maybe nice, keep that in mind

Imagine a Drumkit....just recorded with room mics...sounds great i think...now add some other instruments ;)

but i also agree that its not always "that bad" it depends on the profile and how good it was made...and how bad
    for clean + crunch its not that extreme..so less a problem

but the Deadpan sample shows it very good. Starts with very good profile - ok now lets throw some carpet over the speaker..hmm..not as good anymore but still sounds usuable..
    ok lets thow another carpet over the speaker ect :D

it will make your FRFR cab still not sound like V30 speaker - even if it does what its meant to be - than it will be only sound like captured spot of the speaker without the microphone part.
    to me it sounds more like some sort of multibandcompression..similar to a De-esser

• Of course PureRig will NOT work when cab is switched off. This is what you want to know, right?

Hi Ingolf, what i mean is: Pure cab on, monitor out connected to power amp and real cab , cab sim "off" at monitor out, no manipulation from pure cab on my real cab.
    The "on" pure cab manipulates only the main out, where i connected my rcf (i hope so).

• I'm having problems with both expression pedals connected to Remote and the Kemper own. I have calibrated, the volume pedal settings is as always, the wheel hard left. I have two expression pedals that lead me Moog 6 months and have never given me problems, until today I installed the 3.1 I have worked perfectly. what happens is that in the pedal all the way down to 75% of the route for the Kemper is zero, and this 75% 100% pedal KEMPER makes the journey from zero to 100% which makes it very difficult to handle and knocked out 75% of pedal travel. With both got it wrong with me, I give the calibration button and makes the whole journey but until I'm up almost no on-screen bar moves. This pedal has a wheel to limit the maximum abuts as it should be, and also has a standard swich to switch to another. I have tried all ways and nothing. paa has someone the same? Perfect for others, puree cabinet is amazing, it takes a big leap in terms of realism.

I have the exact same problem with two Yamaha FC7 pedals.

• [quote='Deadlightstudio','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/23894-Public-Beta-3-1-0/?postID=243323#post243323']- Amp in the room sound = Unusable for recording or live

for playing on your own maybe nice, keep that in mind

I'd have to disagree. Guitarists are in love with the sound of a cab without mic's, a lot of the reason many still use traditional guitar cabs on stage. If I can get that sound to FOH I'm sold. I played a show with 3.1 Friday and loved what I heard out front, the sound was cleaned up and cut through the mix much better. Maybe sound techs will state some technical reasons a non-mic'd sound won't work live but if it sounds good to me and the audience.....

• I am a technical junkie, and love reading patent documents. I understand that the "Pure Cabinet" feature has a pending patent application (per the notes in the Kemper addendum manual). I tried searching the USPTO database for patent applications by Christoph Kemper, but only found the original KPA application and full patent ("Musical instrument with acoustic transducer"). I also searched the European Patent database, but got the same results. That is, the searches are only coming up with the original 2008 patent for the Kemper Profiling Amp.

Does anyone have a download link for the patent application specific to the new "Pure Cabinet" algorithm / feature?

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    John

I think the patent application is not public yet.

That 8-bit thing - do yo mean like what I heard, like the transients being missing, or a noise gate on or something, is that hat you mean?

I can definitely see this being useful in recording situations, as well as non-useful in other recording situations. Depends on the profile, the playing, the part, the other instruments, the genre the (etc etc etc).

For features like this: Don't overthink it. Simply think of it as a different kind of tone control. Use it to make sounds better (in the relevant context), or leave it alone if it makes it worse. Simple :)

• The more the amp signal gets compressed, the more the overall sound is defined by the filter effect of the cab. This is why the influence of the cab is greater on high gain rigs than on other rigs. Very steep cuts or boosts of the cab´s frequency curve get more obvious the more gain you use. While such behaviour can add some special flavour to clean or crunch tones you normally do not want them inside high gain rigs and aim for certain tonal aspects when miking and balancing high gain stuff. You normally would not have "honky" mids that produce boxyness or a nasal sound inside high gain rigs, while they may be the "secret sauce" of lower gain rigs simply because there is less compression.

Pure cab can have 2 effects. It will remove unintended steeper boosts or cuts of the frequency curve and thus the sound will seem more balanced and pleasing. But it will also remove intended boosts or cuts that provide the detail and signature of each speaker. With pure cab on, the differences between a V30 and a G12T75 will get smaller. I would say that the closer you are to 100% of the target sound you are aiming for, the less positive the effect of pure cab will be. The more gain, the more obvious this becomes.

• Im also in love with guitar tones with a cabinet..and not in love with close miced sounds thats why i have a real cabinet on stage....

Amp in the room sound to get is easy with some highend condenser mics/ribbons few meters away from a cab

now try to use that in a mix no matter if studio or live

again - clean to slightly crunch will not be a issue...also a "bad micing for Highgain" will not be a issue on clean or crunch.
    For clean it almost does not matter were you place the mic..it just gets brighter or darker - but never bad

• Very interesting.Have not downloaded 3.1.1 yet but from what I read "pure cabinet" has a lot to do with transient response and how the virtual speaker reacts to it;Would explain very much why the Metal-guys dont like it.Less transient response,less "in your face".The whole thing sounds (please correct me if I am wrong,all I do right now is reading the comments and listening to the soundclips) like it is made for the more "vintagers" of us who like their sound with less harsh transient response but more "warm & round" with less preamp distortion and also less "clean headroom" in the power amp section (like all the 5150s/modern rectifiers).Just guessing around.

• its not only about metal..im also in love with rock to vintage rock tones.
    In a Studio + Livesituation i would still prefer it for those kinds of tones turned off.
    Will be not as much pain to EQ to make it work

I´m sorry for beeing the Partybreaker here :)
    I still think its a great an revolutionary feature - but only for monitoring imo

• I use rock tones, double tracking and the like, or low/mid gain crunch. But nothing heavy like Rectifers or anything. Even when I listen to the A/B profiles I don't hear much difference. I'm using monitors with my Kemper. I'll check out the Morgan profile.

The Eleven Rack is a digital reproduction of amps in the room, it doesn't sound as good as the Kemper but it also doesn't have the frequencies that a mik'ed amp does so I'm kind of thinking that its meant to kinda sound like that, but obviously better. I'd have to hear it to know though.

• @Deadlightstudio

Not so fast my friend.I liked the soundclips of the "non-metal" guys very much.I guess it is much to early fore absolute conclusions.Some guy said yesterday that he he now "no need" to lower instantly presence and treble with his profiles which (if I remember correctly) have been more in the vintage-direction.It would be a very nice thing to dial in all the more "classic profiles" and to have a "de-esser" at hand with a switch to make them sound like they should without much tweaking.Woukd add a lot of "turn everything to the right"-feel of the older stuff.I cant wait to try this as soon as the new FW is released.

• I do hope my intentions are not misunderstood; just giving my personal opinion as i love kemper and the team AND u should know i probably dont know what im talking about as i havent tried the new feature yet and may eat my words.

but so far just reading on paper i have the feeling that for the first time no improvement was made besides pleasing customers. Now that should be great right?
    except i have never understood these complaints to begin with.

-first (plz keep in my mind its stil an opinion and just that) i dont agree that you NECESSARILLY get better tones with multiple mics. I love multiple mics and i use that but some of the best tones i heard are captured with one or two witg the second one just adding a little
    (tone is subjective and that has nothing to do with the feature i know but i keep reading it and im sharing what i think thats all)
    - the amp in the room sound: its always singular as in one sound. From personal experience its many sounds. U move a bit and its harsh a bit more its dull a bit more its louder a bit more wow u like that etc.. so besides the extra "thump" (im speaking of any tones clean mid gain heavy whatever this applies to many) u get so many variations on the tones which for me ranges from i like that to not so much sometimes.. So what people are looking for i find frustrating its like u only get the tone u were chasing if u stand at a specific point.
    - the "harsh" frequencies: the best tone i heard were captured by a mic and never harsh. Positionned well why should the tone be harsh in the contrary u move the mic to get AWAY frim that. And perhaps what remains that US harsh would be exactly what u need to cut through..

to summarise i dont quite get it but hopefully i eill.

i hope i have not offended anyone because when i dont agree with something i usually keep my mouth shut but this time im really hoping for some feedback that will clarify all the excitement and NOT trying to satisfy my virtual (internet) ego haha

cheers everyone!

• but in that case..you make only profiles that dont work for you better working instead using a different profile (which is not a problem at all off course)
    i tried it also on some really harsh fizzy profiles...to see if if fixes them but it did not make them better

its all up to each on his own
    all my posted stuff are just my 2 cents

• Cool.

Hmm... this keyboard has extra USB ports on it... I should try plugging it into the KPA and see if I can still connect to Rig Manager through it

For the keyboard u need to use the USB type A slot on the back of the Kemper (the one u also use for pen drive), for connecting to rig manager the type B slot!