Axe Dephase vs. Pure Cabinet

• Just talked to a friend about the Pure Cabinet feature and he told me that Axe (which he's using) has a new beta firmware as well addressing the very same topic.

The description is rather short:
    Added “Dephase” control to Cabinet block. This parameter controls a sophisticated process that removes the “phasiness” from IRs and can yield a more “in the room” experience. Note that the processing required is extreme and the control can have some lag and this will also add slightly to preset change time.

Interesting that the 2 firmware versions show up at the same time...

• Good question @Monkey_Man...

Thanks Mister Bee.

I devised it all by myself... with a little help from my mamma! :P

Did anybody realize any latency (switching rigs/performances....) when using purecab especially on rigs that use alot of effects (=lots of processing going on)?

Fair question too. Of course, I was talking about throughput latency whilst playing, but rig-switching snappiness would be affected as well if indeed real-time processing of the guitar input creates more of a delay, you'd think...

• Did anybody realize any latency (switching rigs/performances....) when using purecab especially on rigs that use alot of effects (=lots of processing going on)?

No I didn't.

BTW there's a thread already about the same topic.
    Kemper " Pure Cab " 'vs' Axe " De-Phasing " ....... *very* different !!!

• Just talked to a friend about the Pure Cabinet feature and he told me that Axe (which he's using) has a new beta firmware as well addressing the very same topic.

The description is rather short:
    Added “Dephase” control to Cabinet block. This parameter controls a sophisticated process that removes the “phasiness” from IRs and can yield a more “in the room” experience. Note that the processing required is extreme and the control can have some lag and this will also add slightly to preset change time.

Interesting that the 2 firmware versions show up at the same time...

It is a matter of fact that it showed up one day later. This is not a coincident, for sure.

You can read on the Fractal Audio forum thread about beta 19.01.
    They state they have been working on this for years.
    Yet at release time it had a known flaw (longer patch switching time) that needed a fixed.

It is not difficult to read between the lines.
    It is for sure possible to create a carbon copy of Pure Cabinet in 24 hours, if you keep side effects (like switching latency) out of the equation.

You can imagine that we are not amused.

• Cliff is obviously very worried about the Kemper, as well as many other people I would think. The Kemper has changed the way we can record guitar in the studio aswell as give us them studio tones live. IMO the Kemper will always be leading the way because CK and the team are very forward thinking. I bet you guys are very annoyed with Cliffs copying I know I would be

• After two months with the KPA and reading all this I must say that I am very happy I made "the right choice" and not buying into the "dark side" of the modelers.

Saying this I wish Christoph the best of luck with putting the "Sith" into his place.Being a "Jedi" is not easy.. ;)

• Dang.

I can't speak for you, Christophe, but I'd be more than tempted to try to put him in his place legally if I were in your shoes.

Thank you, as always, for your genius; you've changed many lives for the better!

I think I read that pur cabinet is patent pending. If so, and if the patent is granted (which will be some time from now), then this will probably be the result.

• Thanks Christoph for the insight! Good German Engineering gets always copied...sad but true.

• It is obviously not a coincidence but it is not that they just had 24 hours to do it either. The first time somebody talked about this feature (and Artist Mode) was in Nov 2014 and it has been accessible for everybody to check and test for long time. I guess by now they know already but Kemper should protect better their development process specially with innovative features.

Remember right after Kemper was announced that Fractal announced their own profiling which ended just being an EQ after they discovered they would run into problems due to patent infringement? This is the way the have been working since the beginning. Their products and features are always based on others people work. They develop further if they know how to since they have more expensive/powerful hardware to play with and then they take credit for it. That is what they do. It is easier that innovating. No risk taken.

I would really upset and discouraged if this happened to me. You put all this hard work just to have someone else steal your idea. And then they dare to talk about business ethics of other companies.

• The Pure Cab feature, as well as many other features of the Kemper, proves that Kemper is taking the guitar amp simulator in a unique direction. They are rethinking it and bringing in a large amount of imagination, not being content to do what the rest of the pack have been doing for decades. When it comes to amp emulation, most everyone else is trying to recreate the amp design in DSP, where Kemper is emulating the response of the amp instead. Many of the Kemper parameters are completely different from what the other makers offer.

Looking at it from this perspective, you can lump Fractal in with Line 6 and Zoom and the others. So although it is disappointing in the case of Fractal, it is not a surprise to see the rest of the pack copying features in the Kemper, as the Kemper is unique. If you innovate and succeed, you are bound to be copied by others in the marketplace. I would be very surprised if Amplifire and Helix do not come up with their own Pure Cab type feature in the future.

It is great fun to be a member of the Kemper community right now, being on the cutting edge with a company with terrific original ideas.

• Thank you, Christophe.

I was asking about throughput latency 'though (input to output). Is this affected, mate?

One of my favourite things about the KPA is the imperceptible latency. Obviously I'm not running the beta (waiting on final version), so I've not been able to test this...