"You session expired, please login again" error message in Chrome Beta for Android

• [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/8nJaKw0l.jpg]

I'm getting this message whenever I try to do anything other than simply browsing the forum. Liking a post, quoting a post, looking at recent posts by a forum member, looking at notifications... Logging out and in again sometimes helps, but most of the time it doesn't, so I can't do any of these things.

In fact I got the error message just now when I started to write this post on my phone, and again when I tried submitting, so I'm posting it from my laptop now.

I have no unusual cookie settings enabled in Chrome, as far as I know. It used to work fine; if I remember correctly, the problem started shortly after the first wave of spam posts hit the forum, so I always figured it was a side effect of some security settings in the forum software being changed by the mods to keep the spam bots out.

It's a minor quibble and if it keeps the bots at bay, I can live with it. :) Just wanted to bring it to the mods' attention.

• I get it on the desktop version of Chrome too sometimes. I think in that case it may be caused by having multiple forum posts open in different browser tabs: it happens after I've done something on the forum in one tab and then switch to a previously opened forum post in another tab. Reloading the page indeed fixes it.

But on my phone, using the Android version of Chrome, the error is much more persistent -- reloading, or even logging out and in again, often doesn't work.

• Ah, got the culprit. I was using Chrome's built-in data saving setting, which routes data through Google's servers to compress it. Disabled it and now I can use the forum on my phone again without error messages.

It's kind of a set-it-and-forget-it feature and I didn't have any problems with other websites, so I did indeed forget that I set it a long time ago. :D

• Yeah, I think there are two separate "session expired" problems.

The "light" version, which I also get from time to time, is easily solved by refreshing the page. Like I said, I suspect it's caused by working in different tabs/sessions simultaneously. I've noticed that if I try to post on a page that wasn't the last forum page I've loaded (because in the meantime I've opened another post in another tab), I'll get the error. Refreshing the page makes it the last page loaded again.

But the problem I had with data saving enabled in Chrome Beta for Android was worse. Refreshing didn't help, logging out and in again didn't help, and it made it impossible to post, like, search... Since I turned off data saving I haven't encountered it once.

Not sure in which category your Firefox/iPad problem falls, viabcroce ... If it's as persistent as it was in my case, maybe check if your browser has a similar data saving feature enabled?

• I used to get sucked in by this and log in each time.
    Just like Ingolf, I simply reload the page. Problem solved.

mhhh... The problem is that on my home PC I often open several unread threads in new tabs/pages while being in a specific session, then close the main section page and proceed with reading. When session expires I have to reload everything again.
    This only happens on the Kemper forum to me.

• mhhh... The problem is that on my home PC I often open several unread threads in new tabs/pages while being in a specific session, then close the main section page and proceed with reading. When session expires I have to reload everything again.
    This only happens on the Kemper forum to me.

I do this in exactly the same way. :) I guess it confuses the forum software -- "hey wait, how come you're trying to post here? I thought you were reading that other thread!?" Refreshing the page lets it know this is where you are now.

It's still less annoying than the (effectively read-only) forum experience I got using "data saving" in Chrome Android, though... glad I got that solved.

• I do this in exactly the same way. :) I guess it confuses the forum software -- "hey wait, how come you're trying to post here? I thought you were reading that other thread!?" Refreshing the page lets it know this is where you are now.

It's still less annoying than the (effectively read-only) forum experience I got using "data saving" in Chrome Android, though... glad I got that solved.

Same modicum operetta here.

Same, same, same.