External Preamp by Profiling?

• It also depends on how hard you drive the preamp. Sound On Sound did a preamp test once that showed hardly any difference between preamps when operating within nominal parameters. When pushed to saturation point however, the differences can be quite surprising.

• It also depends on how hard you drive the preamp. Sound On Sound did a preamp test once that showed hardly any difference between preamps when operating within nominal parameters. When pushed to saturation point however, the differences can be quite surprising.

yes man, I have an Vintech x73, sometimes I like to push the Input to get the nice color out of it, but now I think I want it clean way when profiling most likely.
    The next week I will the first time Mic a own Cab and real amp and want to profile it for sure, this will be fun :)

Was interested how much of you guys prefer a external Preamp ,benefit from it by create Kemper profiles, maybe better dynamics,depth and 3D sound..? I thnk make Profiles with and without Mic Preamp, the Clean Kemper Return!

• Consider that the Profiler uses its onw mic pre anyway, so it would actually be a matter of superimposing two pres.
    As others have pointed out, I don't think there's any absolute answer to your question :)

• Consider that the Profiler uses its onw mic pre anyway, so it would actually be a matter of superimposing two pres.
    As others have pointed out, I don't think there's any absolute answer to your question :)

yes most likely..
    But hey I would use the TRS balanced Return for a second Preamp in the path for sure, don't want to color twice ;)

• One other reason to use an external preamp is that KPA doesn't have phantom power. You could also use an in-line phantom supply between the KPA preamp and a mic that needs it - eg condenser or active ribbon.

Another reason is that you might want to blend two or more microphones in the one profile. Then you need external pres and a mixer of some sort.

• Yes thanks for info, I most likely Want to blend 2 mics, so I need a decent mixer, you guys know a good one not too expensive, I Think about a Mackie Onyx 820i.. The more cheaper solution would be just a Behringer xynx , but i don't know because of his mic Pres, im sure the results getting only that good like the badest piece in the path. Do you think it's makes a Big diff in quality when go for the behringer?

• Like I wrote earlier, the differences between cheap and expensive mic pres operating within normal parameters are negligible. The 'colour' and where you'll notice what you get for your money is when you push them in to saturation. That's where they show their true character.

• I'd go the Mackie.

I owned the original Mackie CR-1604 during the '90s, which was groundbreaking at the time, but its noise figures and mic-pre performance pale into insignificance when compared to the Onyx line.

I've been running a plain (unexpanded - no computer interfacing) Onyx 1620 since they came out, and not only are the preamps super-quiet, but the DI input for guitar and bass is extraordinary, should you ever need to use it.