Opinions on "pure cabinet" option

• Cant deny I am impressed.And sure I dont like to stir trouble but I hardly can undersand how so many guys dont hear "any difference".Indeed I can now turn up again the presence without all the fizz.My lead sounds sound more "soulfull" and no rest of steril artifacts anywhere.

Hard to believe this can get any better. :thumbup:

This!

• The "pure cabinet" in my 3.02 KPA is gone.in the artist mode it sayssuddenly "no features yet".Try for hours but it wont "come back".Maybe if I reload 3.02 but then again..I guess I have no other choice than to upgrade as soon as possible to 3.1.But than again I hesitate as this is still Beta with all the usual software-bugs any digital device cant avoid.. :cursing:

• I used Pure Cab for the first time on a gig last night. I was pleasantly surprised' aside from the obvious tone change, How much easier it was to get controlled feedback through my CLR. This was the one thing I always found easier when I was using a guitar cab instead of a FRFR cab :thumbup:

• The "pure cabinet" in my 3.02 KPA is gone.in the artist mode it sayssuddenly "no features yet".Try for hours but it wont "come back".Maybe if I reload 3.02 but then again..I guess I have no other choice than to upgrade as soon as possible to 3.1.But than again I hesitate as this is still Beta with all the usual software-bugs any digital device cant avoid.. :cursing:

Sorry to hear this, Nikos.

I too had an issue - the KPA locked a cab in place; I couldn't bypass it, couldn't unlock it, and the amp volume got stuck at 12. Some rigs showed the value of 12, whilst others displayed a black block instead. All rigs "loaded", but these parameters did not change. The output indicator stayed red for all playing, and the inputs on my desk were overloaded.

The only thing that worked in the end was to turn the cab-select knob & load another cab. Then all worked perfectly but I disabled Artist Mode, figuring it serves me right as my philosophy is not to mess with betas or hidden features.

• Same thing happened to me and pure cab in artist mode.

to get it back I upgraded to 3.1.2 checked to make sure the sound issues in browser mode were still there. They are....

then installed 3.0 again and went into artist mode. That brought it back for me..

sean

• Honestly I am getting tired of hitting it on and off trying to figure if I like it better or not.
    One time I hit it and I think I like it. I hit it again and not so much. Even on the same rig.
    It is driving me nuts so I just leave it off and try to forget that I was given the option or the fact that it even exists.

Unfortunately when hitting the output button I found the space setting. Never knew it existed in all this time I had the KPA. I dont dig much into it it. Great, now I have yet another setting to debate over.
    I actually think I like cranking up the space to max but just not on every rig or even some rigs all of the time.

I guess they both need to be a per rig setting.

• I had the same feeling while switching it ON/OFF. Finally I decided to leave it ON and forget about it. I set it to 0.0 value. And I am happy. :)

IIRC, the Space effect is mainly for playing KPA with headphones, where you don't get any ambient space from room. But I don't use it much, instead I prefer Reverb.

• Honestly I am getting tired of hitting it on and off trying to figure if I like it better or not.
    One time I hit it and I think I like it. I hit it again and not so much. Even on the same rig.
    It is driving me nuts so I just leave it off and try to forget that I was given the option or the fact that it even exists.

Unfortunately when hitting the output button I found the space setting. Never knew it existed in all this time I had the KPA. I dont dig much into it it. Great, now I have yet another setting to debate over.
    I actually think I like cranking up the space to max but just not on every rig or even some rigs all of the time.

I guess they both need to be a per rig setting.

Space is also available as a Stomp :)

• Thanks @sambrox
    That will work good for me.

I just played with the Pure again and it definitely should be a per rig setting. Maybe it should be a stomp too.
    The effect is really strong on some rigs and hardly noticeable on others. I imagine that is just the nature of its design and intention.
    Either way I like it on some and not so much on others.
    With this I just have to leave it off.

• Thanks @sambrox
    That will work good for me.

I just played with the Pure again and it definitely should be a per rig setting. Maybe it should be a stomp too.
    The effect is really strong on some rigs and hardly noticeable on others. I imagine that is just the nature of its design and intention.
    Either way I like it on some and not so much on others.
    With this I just have to leave it off.

How high have you put the setting when experimenting with this?

• I have to say at first i was VERY sceptical given the description of taking the mic out of the equasion.

After all the last time I heard a well known producer say his goal was to make it sound like the sound from the speakers was like the sound in front of the amp was Bob Rock describing his approach to StAnger. And we know what the backlash from that was.

But I feel that description is poor, The name Pure Cab alone is perfect though. All it appears to do is take out the unnecessary artefacts if set to the right level.

My level was 4.3 after that it started to become unpleasant.

• Keep things simple & have always Murphy's law in mind..

There more (and moaarrr!) you put in a device the more will go bust in the exact moment you dont need it in no ********* way.And these moments are plenty on stage and in the studio. :/

Wont use pure cabinet nor 3.1 untill it is released und tested for some weeks.Till then I wont even read or write about it.

I hope the Kemper-team continues with the right philosophy and policy.There is no need for the best,strongest,biggest,fastest "most beautiful" DSP and new upgrades and FWs every few days only for the sake of it.Dont rush.Leave this to "the others". ;)

The Kemper-team/Christoph have already achieved some very huge things.Putting the real character of any tube amp in a digital device,together with nice (but not processor sucking=utlra expensive) effects and all usefull output-capabilities...this is already "mission accomplished".I hope you guys now concentrate on the real needs of the people making music.This is the difference between a "tool" which will be forgotten in some years and a "legendary music instrument" which writes history.

Dont get me wrong.I love "pure cabinet" and any other new feature in 3.1 but as long as I have to take care more of the question "is this running;" and "can I use it live and in the studio;" than playing the KPA it does make no sense at all.

• Curious: Who can explain why often, as one approaches "10", and really only after a setting of "9", the high end starts to come back. That is, some fizz and definition returns when PC is cranked all the way.

My guess is that the phase correction at that point is starting to come "full-circle", phase-wise. This would make sense, and it would also fit with my comment somewhere that DSP cannot make qualitative (or more specifically, aesthetic) judgements, so it'd be a challenging tweak to say the least for the algorithm to detect that in the case of a particular mic / cab combination, this point had been reached.

That said, a simple spectral assessment of the output might provide sufficient feedback for the algorithm to be able to determine when the phase shift has gone too far.

... and all that said, I actually don't mind this effect; it might be appropriate in some scenarios, and if nothing else, it's yet another tonal option on top of everything else.

I can't help at this point being reminded of the comment offered by "The Captain" in the Andertons Helix review video (part 1) that the Kemper is a snapshot of a particular amp->recording-chain setup on a particular day and place, and that one's stuck with that sound.

My explanation for this error of judgement is that either:

1) The Andertons crew has joined the rapture and bought a family ticket for the HHT™ (Helix Hype Train)

or

2) Collectively, the staff hasn't indulged in much tweaking of the unit.

Yup. I've had my fun too this weekend, tweaking while "Fingers" (my brother) had a good ol' play.

The fact that I had a lock-up of sorts where the output got stuck at "full", overloading my desk as well as the KPA's out LED, and that it took me half an hour to correct it, just reinforced for me why I usually don't buy into betas and jumping in first on software updates of any sort.

I too will abstain from this point on... as long as I can resist. The fact that the PC feature was hidden in the software I was already running was surely the reason I got sucked in. Artist Mode™ be gone! I'll leave it to the true tweak heads and coding boffins to plunge the scary depths of that stuff.

One thing, Nikos: I reckon you might find it difficult to adhere to this proclamation:

"Till then I wont even read or write about it"

If you succeed in this, you're a better man than I am! :P

• Well..

I was so enthusiastic about pc that I tweaked all my rigs again.Turning up treble and also some presence.Lowering most of the mid frequencies..and so on..I just finished the process (right now I prepare my "performances") and pure cabinet was gone.Must admit these are the things driving me near insanity.

So.Better no comment about "pure cab" and 3.1 untill the show runs without problems.

• Pure cabinet is a great feature and sounds very good, but i found that for recording / mixing i prefer guitars without it. They cut more thorugh the mix and i think my ears are used to hear the microphone fizziness that it takes away.