Stymphalian Productions - Mesa Mark IV Pack, 3.0

• Best Mark IV profiles available IMHO and even best Mesa Boogie MARK serie commercial profiles out there, you have the chunky tone in low end and the creamy in the B string and High E string.
    Moreover they are merged. I highly recommend them...

My fav profile stays Thumas TSM7 I tweaked and one of mine, but some profiles in this pack come very close for JP leads for instance.

Thanks man!

I really want to do another Mark IV pack + Dual Rec pack soon (both merged). Anything anybody would specifically like improved on this pack? More boosts? Different gain structures?

• Ive never been a big fan of boosting the mark iv with a pedal, just using its eq knobs with bass low, treble high, mids a bit lower than noon, and pull everything. Then put all the sliders about even and boost the lowest a touch, dip the highest a touch, and push down the middle one until you find the sweet spot between a nice metal scoop and completely disappeared mids.

The best thing you could do would be to add a ribbon mic in addition to the 57 and phase align them. That should add some warth and body to the sound.

The original pack was very geared towards extreme metal. I think if you could also get some warmth and creamy leads in there, but honestly I find DJEMass's free Mark IIC+ profiles cover those tones in spades. I always feel I could get better Petrucci rhythm tones though. He does like i said and multi mics with a 57 on axis and a ribbon to add body and cover up some of that phasy sound from close mic'ing.

• I would like some great Mark IV profiles that are more geared toward straight up rock, less towards metal. As Meambobbo said, more warmth and good, creamy lead tones.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Cool guys, thanks for your opinions....i'll DEFINITELY try something along those lines.

Also, I prefer the IV unboosted, sounds much tighter and less "smeared". Still blows me away every time I plug into the thing ;)

• Petrucci uses a Shure KSM313 blended with the 57, even on tour - one on each cab! That's a $1300 mic, same as the Royer 121. I think when he first started using them, I remember they were more, like $3k. I thought it was funny the brunt of the sound was the < $100 SM57 but he has to use an exponentially more expensive mic to "complete" the tone.

http://equipboard.com/pros/joh…-ksm313-ribbon-microphone

We can dream...

• Petrucci uses a Shure KSM313 blended with the 57, even on tour - one on each cab! That's a $1300 mic, same as the Royer 121. I think when he first started using them, I remember they were more, like $3k. I thought it was funny the brunt of the sound was the < $100 SM57 but he has to use an exponentially more expensive mic to "complete" the tone.

http://equipboard.com/pros/joh…-ksm313-ribbon-microphone

We can dream...

TBH, Petrucci's tone is getting worse and worse IMHO... especially on albums

Moreover the fact to switch in 1x12 Recto cabs doesn't help...

For me tone was more consistent on Systematic Chaos for instance.

At this time, he used SM57+MD421.

• Hi guys, a question for those of you who are using this pack (specifically JP lead profile).

I basically have no experience with tube amps or pedals. Been using a pod hd500 until I got the KPA. The JP lead tone in this pack is by far my favourite lead profile I have come across and I am currently playing an Ibanez RG827 with a D-Activator bridge and Liquifire neck pickup.

So, my question is, are you guys using these profiles with the stomps that James has pre programmed into these profiles? I personally find it sounds better with them on. Would you normally use a green scream stomp with the gain slightly up or gain at zero while increasing the gain on the amp profile?

Also, when would you consider a lead profile to have too much gain? I feel the notes coming out are quite clear through headphones but when I tried it through my friend's interface through SPDIF the notes kinda blended with each other and lost clarity.

Any response much appreciated!

• Thanks man!

I really want to do another Mark IV pack + Dual Rec pack soon (both merged). Anything anybody would specifically like improved on this pack? More boosts? Different gain structures?

Perhaps a touch less overall gain?

Some mid gain stuff maybe? I Love the Recto and IV packs as is but would love some lower gain ones.

• Noted ;) Hopefully won't be long before I can start work on another updated set.

As for the gain level, it depends what guitar/pickup you use but I just turn the gain down until it clears up. Sometimes having the gain on 10 for the long single note epic sustain stuff sounds great, backing it off a bit for faster passages always sounds good at my end.

• It can still be a good idea to also profile lower gain settings dude.
    Sometimes they turn out more accurate than just turning down the gain!

And also sometimes they sound cool when you increase the gain on lo gain profiles to hi gain. It doesn't harm to have both imo!

• It can still be a good idea to also profile lower gain settings dude.
    Sometimes they turn out more accurate than just turning down the gain!

And also sometimes they sound cool when you increase the gain on lo gain profiles to hi gain. It doesn't harm to have both imo!

Indeed, I included a few lower gain profiles but it seems they are more in demand. I just like my lead tones fairly juiced I guess! ;)

• I got fresh black outs waiting for you manics..bring it on brother...my fingers are waiting :thumbup:

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.