Atomic CLR vs. Yamaha DXR10 for Kemper and Backup Stage Monitor/Speaker

• Hey all - I'm deciding between an Atomic CLR and a DXR10, primarily for use with a Kemper.

I'm also thinking that whatever I buy, I may end up using as a spare stage monitor or speaker for gigs. If used as a gig speaker, would want to have ability to be pole mounted.

Anyone have thoughts on the best route to go?

Thanks!

• The CLR is certainly the most advanced loudspeaker your money could buy today, crammed with intelligent solutions and good ideas. Since you might want to use your future cab for more general applications, I'd go for it.
    in these cases, in general, I am not interested in evaluating which sound I like better but in the better characteristics overall. This basically reduces the variables when you chase your sound.
    the Yamaha is a good product overall, but unless you have a specific reason to choose it I'd go for the CLR, which BTW can be mounted on a pole.
    :)

• In the end there's no final truth to the OP's question.
    While linearity certainly is most desirable in an FRFR cab it doesn't mean you'll get the best results with the most linear cab.
    Otherwise all pro producers and mixers would work with the monitors that claim the most linear specs sheet.
    But in reality the pros work with the gear that support their sonic preferences best, or IOW what feels good to them.
    Long story short: listen and compare.
    I did a long comparison between DXR10 and CLR on YT, and I own a pair of both.
    And I like them both for what they do.

• The price difference between them is quite a bit. I think that gives the DXR10 some bonus points, because is the CLR really several hundred dollars "better"?

I'd really like to hear how the new Friedman ASM-12 compares to these two.

In the end there's no final truth to the OP's question.
    While linearity certainly is most desirable in an FRFR cab it doesn't mean you'll get the best results with the most linear cab.
    Otherwise all pro producers and mixers would work with the monitors that claim the most linear specs sheet.

well, I guess it depends on the meaning given ro the word "best".
    I'd not put a performance and a production activity in the same boat. A producer's quality is to be able to translate whichever way their monitoring system sounds into something that sounds great from most devices once published. So their ability to translate is much more critical than the way their reference system sounds.
    this is not true IMO for for a general performance, where the judgment about the sound is made by the final users

another observation I'd make is that linearity is just one of the characteristics of the CLR, which also exhibit for example a coherent emission between their two ways. This aspect, while apparently less influent for reproducing a simple sound like a guitar, becomes more critical when the cab is used for PA or reproduction of general music programs.

last but not least, I remember a post from J Mitchell where he warned about comparing specs across different brands: he himself has had the opportunity to verify that specs not always correspond to the actual performance, and was very explicit in specifying that the CLR's specs are extremely strict.
    I can't find that post from my iPad now, but IIRC he was mentioning a product from Yamaha.

ah, BTW: my implicit premise is that I completely trust the man when he talks about products and his products. i'm pretty sure that he would not make hyped claims or uncorrect statements.

:)

• @viabcroce: Gianfranco, while I certainly understand your point in general IMO my analogy with the mixers and translating their work to the end user in the best way making best and educated decisions on the way is 100% valid for the pro performer wanting exactly the same.
    So sorry, but this time you fail to convince me. ;)

• The footprint, weight, and price of the DXR10 made it very appealing to my back, wallet, and for transport space. I use one with the Kemper at gigs... it works well for me. It does have a pole mount but, I have yet to use it in that position. I did use it as a vocal monitor once and it worked great.
    The DXR10 serves my needs for now.

Edited once, last by Dunkin ().

• @viabcroce: Gianfranco, while I certainly understand your point in general IMO my analogy with the mixers and translating their work to the end user in the best way making best and educated decisions on the way is 100% valid for the pro performer wanting exactly the same.
    So sorry, but this time you fail to convince me. ;)

my friend, be sure that I am not trying to convince you or anyone else: I am here to express my thoughts, share opinions and learn from others. Convincing each other of anything is a subproduct of a discussion, not a show of muscles :)
    (On a side note, my motto on CouchSurfing is "happily sharing differences" :) )

@viabcroce When you use Pure Cab with a CLR, are you making the reproduction of the original profile sound better by being less accurate? LOL!

I'm not following you paul... :)
    if PC sounds good it's because the CLR exactly shows what the algoritmh does, isn't it? :o

• I use a dxr10 for gigging. It's small footprint and decent sound make it a good choice. I use it as back line with just my guitar through it but also, like tonight, as a stage monitor with a whole band mix through it. Either way it works well and sounds great .

• I use the Atomic CLR wedge as monitor and I am happy with it. I also still own a Line6 LTR3 Stage Source, that I really like, but that is off-topic.
    Ingolf has been working with both speakers for a while. There are other people on this board, who have been very happy with on or the other.

Nobody can make this decision for you, because you have your own ears and listening taste. The type of guitar tone you prefer might also have an influence and budget is always a limiting factor - otherise I would say - buy both, test extensively and keep the one you prefer. ;)

If you go the CLR route - also consider the Neodyne version; esp. if you gig frequently.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I have tried both. Not an easy adventure because the CLRs are unavailable in Italian shops, while you can find the DXRs very easily.
    IMHO the DXRs sound better at low volume. They sound warmer.
    At high volume, I love and prefer the CLRs. They sound more... real.
    I underline that this is my very personal opinion...
    At the end I bought a pair of CLRs.
    Have fun!

• I have tried both. Not an easy adventure because the CLRs are unavailable in Italian shops, while you can find the DXRs very easily.

For Europeans I'd suggest Dynacord AXM 12A as an alternative to the active CLR wedge. It is a high-end monitor at about the same price with similar features, about the same weight as the CLR NEO, but is much easier to find in European shops. The AXM has a bit more flexible DSP than the CLR, just remember to switch it to monitor-mode when you first try one as the factory-setting is for pole-mount which makes it boomy when positioned as a wedge. The DSP has 3 monitor-presets which accommodate most rooms/stages, as well as parametric EQ for manual tweaking. It has 3 inputs, 2x XLR/TRS and one RCA (stereo) that is handy for playing backing-tracks or metronome/beats off a smartphone or tablet for practise. I don't think Dynacord (a Bosch subsidiary) has much of a presence on the other side of the pond though.

• I compared the EV-ZX12 to Alto TS, Yamaha DXR , and QSC K-series FRFR cabinets at a Guitar Center store. (I've not heard the CLR)

IMO, the EV and the Alto are great choices for someone who is willing to take the time to tweak each Rig to sound the same in those speakers as they sound in headphones or studio monitors.

But, if someone wants to be able to use Rigs without tweaking all of them first, I think the DXR and K series are much more neutral-sounding monitors.

• Some days ago I recieved the tip to look into the Electrovoice EV ZLX 12..I read some very good reviews about these.

Hope the tweeters are more reliable than other EV's I've fixed. Fuses hardly ever go, but replaced several diaphragm plates in various EV models. Parts are expensive too!

Steve

• Thanx guys..

@paults

Thanks for your help.Actually I read in many reviews that the EV has way more "HiFi"-like treble and bass while some sort of "scoop" in the mids when compared to the dxr's.I got a friend who uses 4 speakers of the 15" version (he is a singer and uses two as FOH and two as monitors) of these EVs and will check them before I make any decision.

@Pilotltd

Thanks for your heads up.Must say that I was always pleased about EV-stuff.Many friends in my area use EV-PA-stuff and so far they are very happy with it.Anyway..many thanks for your input.I will now take a further look and read more user-reviews in the blogs.