Best way to connect KPA for recording (Logic)

• I like to have my KPA hooked up in my studio for both recording and rehearsal. For rehearsing I use my Atomic CLR monitor and for recording I monitor over my Tannoy speakers via my Mac. Ideally I like to have both outputs connected all the time but if I have my Mon Out connected to my CLR that leaves only the Main Out L or R for my recording signal unless I use S/PDIF. In Logic, the Main Out signal appears as a single waveform and the Mon Out appears as a split waveform and is louder. I presume that the Mon Out is a combined mono signal sent to both L and R?

I am not sure whether I am doing the right thing using the Main Out for my recording signal. Am I setting my Kemper up the best way or is there a better method? I don't really want to use the Mon Out for my recording signal, as the volume varies depending on where I have the Master Vol set, and I want a consistent output level when recording.

My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

• What do you want to record? Only stack guitar? or guitar with effects after the stack with stereo?

For me the best option is to use SPDIF(GIT.ANALOG(DI) +GIT STACK) + MAIN OUTS for reverb wet signal.

Maybe this will give you some clue:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for the link. I can verify that both Mon and Main outs are set to Master Mono. I don't have much use for stereo FX at present.

My question is more an issue with understanding Logic X and the recording process than with the Kemper per se.

• If you do not want to use stereo for recording - record only mono signal from one of the Main out chanel. You can use the second for other purposes like DI signal or for Atomic CLR monitor signal. Can you select input source in Logic X (Left Scarlet or Right Scarlet)?

I really dont know Logic - but somewhere in track option should be some input source selection.

• In Logic, if the source is the Main Out, the channel mode defaults to Mono (Input 1 only, single waveform). If source is Mon Out, the channel mode defaults to Stereo (Inputs 1 & 2, dual waveforms) which is slightly louder.

• I am using SPDIF , output 5 , 6 and 5+6 for recording , two mono outputs for main out ,plus monitor output for my real amp and cab .
    When I engage all of them in the same time , studio PC monitors, QSC's and Mesa cab it sound astonishing !
    All of 3 sounds are good on its own way , but still different to each other , which is normal .

Recording sound with SPDIF is the best , I've tried analogue , mic ,etc, but SPDIF simoly blew all the rest of recording setups away.

I am using Scarlet as well , btw .
    Scarlet is fantastic sound card for given price , and its going very well with Logic .

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• String , SPDIF is a must , at least for my ears.... :thumbup:
    Just be careful if it is for the first time : Kemper is working on 44.1 MHz , so everything else in the chain has to be on the same frequency .

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• I use SPDIF and a different interface, but here's what I do in Logoc to record wet and dry tracks at the same time:

Settings on Kemper:

Attach S/PDIF
    cable from Kemper "Out" to Quad-Capture "In" (which
    is labeled as "Coaxial" on the Quad-Capture.

In the Kemper
    "Output" menu:

On page 1
    "Output Source", set SPDIF Output to "Git/Mod Mono"
    - this outputs two tracks: the dry signal (which shows up in Logic as
    Input 3) and the wet/processed signal (which shows up in Logic as Input
    4)

On page 5 "Output
    AddOns", make sure that the "SPDIF Out Link" box is not
    checked - otherwise it matches the S/PDIF volume to the Master Volume,
    which I don’t want because I use Master Volume to control headphone and
    monitoring volume.

Settings on Quad Capture:

In the Driver
    software, make sure the Sample Rate shown in lower bottom row is 44.1
    Mhz, and that the Clock says External

Also make sure that in
    Device --> Device Settings, that "Digital In" is checked as
    "Auto", and that "Digital Out" is checked as
    "Wave Out 3-4"

Settings in Logic:

Create 2 new
    Audio tracks

Make sure Project sample
    rate set to 44.1 Mhz

One track should be set to
    Input 3 (this will be the dry signal) and the other to Input 4 (this will
    be the wet signal)

Make sure both are record
    enabled (flashing red "R" square button")