What the heck is wrong with my guitar? (strange dissonant sound on especially g-string)

• I'm posting this numerous places on the net in the hopes of somebody being able to help.

I’ve been playing mostly rhythm guitar the time I’ve had it, but lately when playing some lead-type stuff I’ve recently noticed something strange in the tone of my PRS Brent Mason signature guitar. It’s like a very noticeable and dissonant harmonic tone. Sometimes it sounds like hammering.

I noticed it on the G string when playing single notes above the 7th fret - but it’s there on all the frets and even the open string. It’s also a bit noticeable on the B string, whereas the high e string doesn’t seem to have this problem at all - anywhere. It seems to be present on at least the D string as well, but not very noticeable, and I’m not sure if it’s on the A and E strings either - it seems like it is “covered up” by the tonality of the latter two to some extent.

The effect is not very noticeable on the bridge pickup, but on the middle and neck pickups it’s very obvious (and also in the middle positions).

Naturally I first suspected fret buzz - but the problem is apparent on the highest fret also (so fret buzz is not the culprit). I’ve tried dampening EVERYTHING (see below), but it has no effect.

I am not able to hear anything amiss acoustically (when playing unplugged). It’s not something I hear when playing on a clean amp either, but once the tones start to break up, the dissonance gets in there - and gets worse with higher gains.

What I’ve tried so far, to no avail:

- A through setup (neck relief, intonation, string height)
    - Lowered all the pickups as low as they will go (to rule out “stratits” - pickup magnetism pulling strings excessively)
    - Putting on a new G string
    - Dampening behind the fretting position, behind the nut, the tremolo springs
    - “Dampening” the pick guard in various positions all over the surface
    - Checked each and every screw and bolt on the guitar for tightness
    - Raising the string height very high
    - Lowering the string height very low
    - Installing an e string and then a B string in the G string slot. e string did not exhibit this problem; B string did slightly.
    - Dampening the bridge as best I could
    - Verified that saddles were even (not riding on just a single grub screw)
    - Removed G string saddle and checked for any burrs - there were none that I could see or feel
    - Played through both my Kemper amp (both headphone out and s/pdif out to my audio interface had the problem) and recording through my audio interface directly into my DAW, putting a guitar emulation plugin on the recorded track - same problem. Even tried into my iPad - same problem.
    - Turned down tone knob completely - which helped at first, but recording this signal, and then reamping with a hi mid frequency boost to bring back the highs revealed the problem again
    - Possibly other things I don’t remember - but I think that’s all of it.

I’ve linked to a recording on soundcloud where I demonstrate the issues - see the comments in the soundcloud link for explanation.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What is going on here??

• Did you try a strings of a different brand? I had similar problems with the G-String too with a popular, widely available brand of strings. I won't name the company here cause I don't want to get in trouble...

• Did you tried a greater thickness of the G string?

Did you try a strings of a different brand? I had similar problems with the G-String too with a popular, widely available brand of strings. I won't name the company here cause I don't want to get in trouble...

No on both counts.

I have only tried with D'addario's EXL110 (10s). I have some elixirs underway - will try with those when they get here. Firebird: When you say "similar problems", can you describe it a bit more in depth?

In the meantime, any other suggestions are welcome! :)

• No on both counts.

I have only tried with D'addario's EXL110 (10s). I have some elixirs underway - will try with those when they get here. Firebird: When you say "similar problems", can you describe it a bit more in depth?

In the meantime, any other suggestions are welcome! :)

Well it sounded just like in the audio file you posted. Changing the strings was one of the first things I did and I had only a set of a different brand at hand and it worked, so I didn't do any of the things you mentioned in the original post. Again, I don't want to name the brand of strings i had the trouble with, but after reading your last post i think the Elexirs could help :whistling:

• this reminds me of a similar issue I had with one of my basses:
    took it to a luthier - turns out it was the truss rod.
    it was an easy fix for him. :)

hth

How so - truss rod rattle, or just not optimally setup? I've tried to rap on the back of the neck to see if I could hear any truss rod rattle.
    I wouldn't think this would be the issue here, since it's also prevalent on the highest fret, which is over the body of the guitar, not on the neck really - and I would think that the truss rod rattle would manifest when playing the same notes on a higher string.
    That said - I've not been able to offer a better explanation myself so far :-/

• Do you hear anything odd when playing acoustically? If there's a rattle or something loose it would be easier to hear. Also does it happen when using a clean profile?

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• How so - truss rod rattle, or just not optimally setup? I've tried to rap on the back of the neck to see if I could hear any truss rod rattle.
    I wouldn't think this would be the issue here, since it's also prevalent on the highest fret, which is over the body of the guitar, not on the neck really - and I would think that the truss rod rattle would manifest when playing the same notes on a higher string.
    That said - I've not been able to offer a better explanation myself so far :-/

in this case it was truss rod rattle.
    just thought I should mention this since it wasn't listed in the OP - or so I thought - 1st item actually... :)
    my bad

• I would suspect the issue is within the profile itself. It could be the g string is a little louder than the others and just driving the profile too hard at some points. If you bring down dist sense a little I wonder if that may help?

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• I would suspect the issue is within the profile itself. It could be the g string is a little louder than the others and just driving the profile too hard at some points. If you bring down dist sense a little I wonder if that may help?

It's not just on one profile, but also on my computer with a guitar amp plugin and on my iPad with garageband amp sim.

Also, the problem is still there with the guitar volume turned quite a bit down.

• Just to rule everything out try swapping the pickups to see if the problem moves and becomes more dominant in the bridge? I'm not even sure if a pickup can go bad in just a certain frequency range or not but desperation requires trying everything.

• Just to rule everything out try swapping the pickups to see if the problem moves and becomes more dominant in the bridge? I'm not even sure if a pickup can go bad in just a certain frequency range or not but desperation requires trying everything.

I'd probably check the wiring before doing something drastic like this ;)

• @Michael_dk - I've been dealing with what seems like the same issue on my Suhr. Just ordered a set of strings with a wound g to see if this makes a difference. It's been to the shop where I bought it, traded e-mails with Suhr and been to a local tech for complete set-up. Mine has a Floyd Rose bridge and I've installed a tremol-no to see if that helped. Reduced it a little bit, but didn't fix it. Also tried a fat finger, which didn't help either. I've been selective with which profiles I use, so it is minimized. It's not a profiler issue, it is the guitar. Please keep posting as you troubleshoot.

• @Michael_dk - I've been dealing with what seems like the same issue on my Suhr. Just ordered a set of strings with a wound g to see if this makes a difference. It's been to the shop where I bought it, traded e-mails with Suhr and been to a local tech for complete set-up. Mine has a Floyd Rose bridge and I've installed a tremol-no to see if that helped. Reduced it a little bit, but didn't fix it. Also tried a fat finger, which didn't help either. I've been selective with which profiles I use, so it is minimized. It's not a profiler issue, it is the guitar. Please keep posting as you troubleshoot.

Intersting - I have a tremol-no installed, thought that could be a source of this - have tried disengaging it, but not removing it. Interesting to hear you've had that same problem before installing the tremol-no .