Do I have the Kemper connected correctly?

• Hello! Hope someone can answer this for me. This may be a really dumb question but....I just got my Kemper profiler today along with the Friedman ASM-12 powered monitor. The ASM-12 only has XLR connections no 1/4 inch jack to go from the Kempers monitor out. I have it hooked up running 1 XLR cable from the Kemper "main out XLR Left" to the ASM-12 XLR input. Is this correct?

I bought the Friedman ASM-12 because it said it was specifically designed for the Kemper but according to the Kemper manual you should run a 1/4 cable from the Kemper "monitor out" to the powered monitor not from the main out section.

I get sound but not sure if I am getting the 100% sound I should be. Do I need an XLR cable that has two female connectors to go into the "Left AND Right" main outputs in the back then into the powered monitor?

Just not sure if I am doing something wrong since I have no way to connect it like the Kemper manual says.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• As far as my feedback on the ASM-12 its hard for me to say because it is the first powered monitor I have ever used. I listened and researched countless powered monitors online and it came down to the Friedman ASM-12 and the Atomic CLR. I went with the Friedman because 1) it was in stock at the time and 2) it was $200 cheaper. I can tell you that I don't know how the sound could get any better from the Friedman so I feel like I definitely made the right choice. I am used to using regular tube amps (my main one is the 5150II but I plan on selling it now since I am so happy with the Friedman.)

Using the Friedman with the Kemper is amazing to my ears. Sounds just as good or maybe even actually better to me as any tube amp I have owned. Operating the Kemper with pure cabinet on really enhances the feel and sound in the room too. Couldn't be happier with it. Nice knowing too I won't need to buy another amp ever. Now I can just spend my money on more guitars. ha

• As far as my feedback on the ASM-12 its hard for me to say because it is the first powered monitor I have ever used. I listened and researched countless powered monitors online and it came down to the Friedman ASM-12 and the Atomic CLR. I went with the Friedman because 1) it was in stock at the time and 2) it was $200 cheaper. I can tell you that I don't know how the sound could get any better from the Friedman so I feel like I definitely made the right choice. I am used to using regular tube amps (my main one is the 5150II but I plan on selling it now since I am so happy with the Friedman.)

Using the Friedman with the Kemper is amazing to my ears. Sounds just as good or maybe even actually better to me as any tube amp I have owned. Operating the Kemper with pure cabinet on really enhances the feel and sound in the room too. Couldn't be happier with it. Nice knowing too I won't need to buy another amp ever. Now I can just spend my money on more guitars. ha

Thanks for the review, Mateo.

I have read a lot of good things about the Friedman ASM-12 active monitor. Good to know there is another excellent solution for those looking at taking the FRFR plunge. The ASM-12 looks fantastic, from an aesthetic standpoint, as well..

I have a powered KPA, and ended up going with a passive 1x12 wedge from XiTone...which I am very happy with.

Enjoy your Friedman ASM-12!

Cheers,
    John

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• I wound up with the Yamaha DXR10 for monitoring. The Friedman hasn't been in stock anywhere recently I couldn't wait for one to be built. That said, the more I hear about this thing, the more I want to add it to the arsenal. I'd really like to hear one first but none of the local brick-and-mortars carry them.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• I wound up with the Yamaha DXR10 for monitoring. The Friedman hasn't been in stock anywhere recently I couldn't wait for one to be built. That said, the more I hear about this thing, the more I want to add it to the arsenal. I'd really like to hear one first but none of the local brick-and-mortars carry them.

It was the same here in Nashville. I couldn't find anyone who stocked it so I could listen to it first before buying. I had heard some clips from X-Mann over at the Gear page and it sounded awesome. With hearing those clips and going off the reputation of the Friedman amps I decided to buy it without hearing it in person. I figured if I didn't like it I could always return it. I am VERY pleased with the sound. Since I havent played through other monitors like the CLR or Yamaha I cant compare but I seriously do not know how the sound can be improved since it sounds perfect to me.

• @Mateo11 - I'll be in Nashville on business next week, doing some training with a vendor. I'll stop by to check out the Friedman. LOL

If I wasn't going to be out of town I'd invite you over to check it out! Do like I did though and get one online that has a 30 day return policy in case you don't like it. I am willing to bet though you will like it.

• If you have the main out (left) going to the monitor, do u just use the main out right to FoH?

Might be a silly question but I use monitor out to dxr and main out left to FoH.

If if this new Friedman monitor is so good I might check it out

• I'm curious too to see how it compares to the CLR and DXR10. I did read a review over on the Fractal forums with a guy who compared the CLR vs. the Friedman and he liked the CLR better. I'd be curious to know what kind of music styles and tones he goes for though.

• This, or just get yourself a TRS to XLR cable if you want to use the monitor out.

Appreciate that suggestion. I was unaware there was a cable like that. Do you think it would make any difference sound wise using the monitor out with the TRS-XLR cable vs using the Main out Right XLR-XLR input on the monitor?

• On the Kemper specs it says the monitor out is 1/4 inch TS UNBALANCED. The cables I found online say BALANCED does that matter? Also is TS and TRS the same thing? Sorry I know little (as you can tell) regarding cables! ha

• On the Kemper specs it says the monitor out is 1/4 inch TS UNBALANCED. The cables I found online say BALANCED does that matter? Also is TS and TRS the same thing? Sorry I know little (as you can tell) regarding cables! ha

Mateo, a TRS balanced to XLR cable is absolutely fine. No problem. It will work identical, in this application, to what your current connection configuration (KPA Main Out XLR to XLR Input on your Friedman). However, unless you need to free up the XLR Outputs on your KPA, there is no reason to buy this cable...your current connection works just as well.

Cheers,
    John

• Mateo, a TRS balanced to XLR cable is absolutely fine. No problem. It will work identical, in this application, to what your current connection configuration (KPA Main Out XLR to XLR Input on your Friedman). However, unless you need to free up the XLR Outputs on your KPA, there is no reason to buy this cable...your current connection works just as well.

Cheers,
    John

Thanks John!