Rig Manger will not open on my Mac!!

• Anyone out there that can help? Rig manager "quits unexpectedly" every time I try to open it. I created a tech ticket yesterday morning but have yet to hear back from them. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Rig manager countless times and restarted/rebooted my OS countless times as well. I don't know anything else to do besides the uninstall/reinstall and rebooting etc. I've never not been able to fix an app by doing those methods but the Rig Manager seems to be smarter than me.

This happened after I had spent (no kidding) at least 6 hours organizing 679 rigs into folders by Manufacturer and model of the amp so I could organize in a better fashion. Needless to say it's been pretty frustrating now that it keeps crashing and i can't use it.

I am using a Mac computer with OSX Yosemite 10.10.

Anyone else ever have this problem and can help? I'm pretty sure its going to be awhile until i hear back from tech support and would like to get this figured out as soon as possible. Thanks!

• Hi Matteo,

I have exactly the same problem since RM 1.3.5. It's still the same with RM1.5x B. I reported it to mothership's support but still no solution. It seems to be a Mac-only problem. Running Win7 inside a VM does not have this issue

Jürgen

• I had the same problem and I solved it by deleting folders...

I have many Profiles and had a LOT of folders in my Library (over 30). Rig Manager didn't open and/or crashed.
    So after a couple of days I decided to delete the library of Rig Manager (Users/Library/ApplicationSupport/Kemper) and start all over again by importing Profiles step by step.
    Now I changed the way to sort my Profiles and have only 5 Folders. This works perfectly!

I did a test and added 30 empty folders to the Library and suprise.... Rig Manager crashed.
    So it has something to do with the number of folders you use. The less the better...

Kemper Kemper Time to explode!

• i cannot confirm that. i've just added 50 folder and rig manager does not crash. also, there is no reason to trash the entire user folder. in the rare cases i've seen so far, the user library got corrupted and as a result, Rig Manager cannot boot under certain circumstances. there will be a new version of Rig Manager in a short while which deals more gracefully with this issue.
    gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Same here. After running successfully for a period of time, RM will begin intermittently crashing when storing a Performance. Typically rebooting solves the issue, but it eventually reoccurs after an indeterminate period of time.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Same here. After running successfully for a period of time, RM will begin intermittently crashing when storing a Performance. Typically rebooting solves the issue, but it eventually reoccurs after an indeterminate period of time.

i don't understand in which way this is related to the discussion in here.
    gs

• i don't understand in which way this is related to the discussion in here.
    gs

To be more clear, after RM initially crashes it becomes increasingly unstable. If I continue to use it without rebooting it will continue crashing every time I try to save a performance, then after a few attempts it will not launch at all (quits on launch). To resolve this, I always reboot after each unexpected quit. But I have not been able to identify the root cause of the initial instability.

If this issue belongs elsewhere feel free to remove my post.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• i cannot confirm that. i've just added 50 folder and rig manager does not crash. also, there is no reason to trash the entire user folder. in the rare cases i've seen so far, the user library got corrupted and as a result, Rig Manager cannot boot under certain circumstances. there will be a new version of Rig Manager in a short while which deals more gracefully with this issue.
    gs

At least for me it works and I can use Rig Manager again :)
    Rig Manager stopped working for me after the last update. Before the update everything was fine!
    I did the test on a Macbook, an iMac and a MacMini - all running with Mavericks, the same version(s) of Rig Manager and everywhere the same...
    I also uninstalled the newest version of Rig Manager on my MacBook and installed an older version - worked...

To be exact: I had 38 folders. I always deleted 30 folders and it worked. To find out if there is a corrupted folder I deleted other folders every time and then I tried with every single folder only. Took some time (days...) but I wanted to figure this out because I need Rig Manager for my job ;) Everything worked when there were only a few or a single folder in the library, no corruption or anything else. As soon as I had more folders in the Library Rig Manager crashed/didn't open.
    Maybe I should try the old Library folder with my windows notebook ? XD

Kemper Kemper Time to explode!

• What I have figured out so far. After deleting the Kemper Amps Folder und ˜/Library RM boots. Then I restore a backup and RM imports everything. When quitting RM and try to restart again RM fails with the same error

• If you send the backup to support, we may be able to help you.

I had Kemper support contact me via email this morning to try and help. So far what was recommended as a fix (clean up KPA database download) hasn't solved the issue. Can you please tell me exactly what steps I need to do in order to send the backup to support? Thanks!

• Heri - send us a Rig Manager backup file (Tools > Backup Rig Manager Content). It might be to big to be send in an email, so maybe you can just dropbox it and send us a link. i'm sure once we can replicate your findings, we can help you and fix the issue.
    gs

• To be more clear, after RM initially crashes it becomes increasingly unstable. If I continue to use it without rebooting it will continue crashing every time I try to save a performance, then after a few attempts it will not launch at all (quits on launch). To resolve this, I always reboot after each unexpected quit. But I have not been able to identify the root cause of the initial instability.
    If this issue belongs elsewhere feel free to remove my post.

please contact us by email and include a crash log if possible. we'll take a look.
    gs

• Anyone have any experience with Tech Support? Over the past couple of days I have sent them all the files they requested to try and get my Rig Manager to open/work and I have not heard or had any communication from them since yesterday morning. I emailed them this morning asking for an update/time to fix the issue and have had no response. i just sent another email as well. Getting a little frustrated since I've never had a software issue take days to fix. I'm no techie but I would think just getting a working copy of Rig Manager on my Mac wouldn't be days to complete.

• I had the same problem and I solved it by deleting folders...

I have many Profiles and had a LOT of folders in my Library (over 30). Rig Manager didn't open and/or crashed.
    So after a couple of days I decided to delete the library of Rig Manager (Users/Library/ApplicationSupport/Kemper) and start all over again by importing Profiles step by step.
    Now I changed the way to sort my Profiles and have only 5 Folders. This works perfectly!

I did a test and added 30 empty folders to the Library and suprise.... Rig Manager crashed.
    So it has something to do with the number of folders you use. The less the better...

Im going to start deleting everything like you suggest if I don't get any resolution from tech support today. I believe you are 100% correct since I started having the issue after creating a lot of folders. Thanks for your help!

• Sorry, but your issue is not trivial to solve. Even with exactly your folder structure, we cannot reproduce the crash. Evaluating the logs from your machine takes quite some time. I don't believe it has something to do with the number of folders, because the app crashes while OSX initializes it, before any Kemper code is involved. I will continue to work on it tomorrow.

• I was wrong: it has indeed something to do with the number of folders. This is an issue only in OS X 10.10. On my machine, the critical number of folders was between 200 and 300, but according to Heri, it can also be much lower. We will try to find a way to avoid it in a future Rig Manager release, but it is not an easy task - basically the problem is an OSX constraint that is much more critical than in OS X 10.9. There is a somewhat risky workaround by changing an OS setting; let me know if you need it, but I'd rather recommend lowering the number of folders.

• I was wrong: it has indeed something to do with the number of folders. This is an issue only in OS X 10.10. On my machine, the critical number of folders was between 200 and 300, but according to Heri, it can also be much lower. We will try to find a way to avoid it in a future Rig Manager release, but it is not an easy task - basically the problem is an OSX constraint that is much more critical than in OS X 10.9. There is a somewhat risky workaround by changing an OS setting; let me know if you need it, but I'd rather recommend lowering the number of folders.

Thanks Arne!

At least my problem does also occur on OSX 10.9 (and on 10.10). The backup contains a huge amount of commercial profiles, I don't know if I am allowed to send you the backup for further investigation. If this is no problem I will send you the backup file and further information how to reproduce this issue. This issue occurred with RM 1.3.5, before everything was working fine. So I assume this is not OS related.

Thanks
    Jürgen