Be careful with the amp / company names

So FENVIB or VIBRATO VERB?How about a note (based on Fender Vibroverb) ??Same problem then ?

This could be okay. But it's all about the companies how tolerant they are in similar sounding or generic names, So I guess every company has a different point of view here...

• Phindurr
    R-inge
    Vahks
    Mars Shirley
    Buhghee
    Rektuhfyurr

...to start

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Profile vendors could help by providing a template like Kemper provides. They could name and sell the rig profiles however they want, but have a handy guide like the one linked below :

Factory Rig Reference List (revised September 14th, 2015)

Link doesn't work for me. Taken down? For the same reason that has brought this thread around, maybe?

• And this big guys from amp companies are angry on using names like Fender or they are angry also on model name like Vibroverb?

I don't think that anybody is actually angry, they're just following the law as far as actively protecting their trademarks in order to keep the trademark intact.

• I don't think that anybody is actually angry, they're just following the law as far as actively protecting their trademarks in order to keep the trademark intact.

OK "angry" was bad word. But how far can they protect their trademarks? Is Friender not ok? How about Martial?

Are there any precise rules, that the name in order not to interfere with trademark must have for exaple 3 letters different if the name is the same length? Or they create the rules with their lawyers?

• The idea of having a unified thesaurus of sorts for amp/profile names is a good one. Maybe have it on the wikpa.org page.

This is a solid idea. And should actually be fairly easy to make it so obvious that everyone gets it.
    For example:

Peavy 5150 = PV 5051
    Peavy 6505+= PV +0565
    Mesa DR = MSA DR
    Fender = FNDR
    Vox = VX

etc. etc. This should take care of the name problem without making it too obscure

The other solution obviously would be to just give the profiles certain names (e.g. - the lasse lammert profile pack). Since I think everyone uses the rig manager at this point you can simply add the actual amp name in the profiles description. That way if you need a specific amp you can just look for it in the rig manager instead of your kemper.

• Of course he whole thing is totally stupid, but we can handle it very easy. Just a little imagination and we all know what's behind the "fantasy"-names.

I personally like Martial, Friedamp, Angel, Lemon ect. If it's allowed to use "Seeking to re-create the sound of...", it's clear what amp it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• After taking some advice there will be no pictures of amps in my shop as even removing the branding from our own pictures is still very sketchy water. My site should be online in a few days. Here's a few of the names I'm using

Pee Vee - Thrifty 150
    Lay Knee- Toe Knee I Owe Me
    UK British - Jay VEE M

I think Martial is probably a better name than UK British though so may use that instead. Martial to replace Marshall isn't new, check 28.25 on this classic young ones video from 1982 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXV9tmklUc 8o

• Yes, to have common "fake-names" would be the best idea.

I don't know if its a good idea to fill out the tags in the KPA with the real (amp, cab, mic) names - I never did it - what do you think?

Would be best if Kemper would clear all this.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Yes, to have common "fake-names" would be the best idea.

I don't know if its a good idea to fill out the tags in the KPA with the real (amp, cab, mic) names - I never did it - what do you think?

Would be best if Kemper would clear all this.

I don't think Kemper would give legal advice - too dangerous! :)

But really: why not just use the alternative names that kemper themselves have used since the beginning???

• I don't think Kemper would give legal advice - too dangerous! :)

But really: why not just use the alternative names that kemper themselves have used since the beginning???

They provide the platform (Rig-Exchange) - so they should know if amp/cab/mic manufactures are ok with the real names - if not it could be dangerous for Kemper themselves.

Of course everyone can rename their profiles to whatever they like - but afaik not in case it will be distributed (free or commercial).

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• They provide the platform (Rig-Exchange) - so they should know if amp/cab/mic manufactures are ok with the real names - if not it could be dangerous for Kemper themselves.

Of course everyone can rename their profiles to whatever they like - but afaik not in case it will be distributed (free or commercial).

My point is - it could be dangerous for Kemper to give legal advice, even if they're sure they are in the clear themselves. If it were my company, I sure wouldn't! :)

• Yes, I see - but could it not be dangerous to offer a platform (rig-exchange) where people distribute profiles with trademark protected names?

And would they not need to inform the users of this platform:
    a) not to use these names
    b) removes profiles which use these names

• Yes, I see - but could it not be dangerous to offer a platform (rig-exchange) where people distribute profiles with trademark protected names?

And would they not need to inform the users of this platform:
    a) not to use these names
    b) removes profiles which use these names

From terms and conditions of RE:

Disclaimer: All product names and company names used on this webpage are (registered) brand names or trademarks of each respective holders, and Kemper GmbH is not associated or affiliated with them. These product names are used solely for purpose of identifying the specific products that were used during profiling.

a) & b): I seem to remember someone saying that only commercial profiles (i.e. sold) are potentially subject to legal action by the trademark holders. Thus, the free profiles are probably fine to name like the real amp. If so, since Kemper offers the RE service for free, I don't think they have a problem.